Page 24 of 53 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 530

Thread: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

  1. #231
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
    Our constitution prohibits laws that arbitrarily infringe on religion. Requiring Muslim or Jewish restaurants to serve pork serves no public purpose, nor does requiring a self-insured Catholic organization to provide birth control serve a public purpose.
    No infringment has taken place. No one is forced to use contracptions. The ones likely to use it, do so of their own free will and are not clergy.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #232
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No infringment has taken place. No one is forced to use contracptions. The ones likely to use it, do so of their own free will and are not clergy.
    They are asking the Church to pay for contraceptives. If someone is using them of their own free will, as you say, then let them pay for it.

  3. #233
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No infringment has taken place. No one is forced to use contracptions. The ones likely to use it, do so of their own free will and are not clergy.
    It is not those that use the benefit that are being forced, it is those forced to provide that benefit that is being challenged. Surely, even you, can see that simple fact.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #234
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    They are asking the Church to pay for contraceptives. If someone is using them of their own free will, as you say, then let them pay for it.
    No, I'm asking them to pay for insurance. How that insurance is used is up to the employee. If no one uses it, none are paid for. If the employee believes differently, as many do as they are not clergy or even neccessarily of such a faith, they choose and are nto going against their beliefs. The insurance, once given as compensation, is theirs.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #235
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    It is not those that use the benefit that are being forced, it is those forced to provide that benefit that is being challenged. Surely, even you, can see that simple fact.
    I know. But they can't challenge this any more than they could challenge minimum wage. The comepnsation, once given belongs to the employee, not the employer.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #236
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, I'm asking them to pay for insurance.
    They are self insured now. Why would the government interfere in any way?

    And how are contraceptives expected to cure anything?

  7. #237
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    08-09-13 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,600

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    They are asking the Church to pay for contraceptives. If someone is using them of their own free will, as you say, then let them pay for it.
    No.. they aren't..

    This is about health insurance not religion.

    Not everyone who works in Cathlolic hospitals is Catholic... and most Catholics use some form of BC anyway.

  8. #238
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    They are self insured now. Why would the government interfere in any way?

    And how are contraceptives expected to cure anything?
    Makes no difference. None at all. The user is the employee. And they determine, as they do with their cash, how they spend their compensation. It ceases to be the churches the second they give it as compensation.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #239
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    No one at all is forcing anyone to use the contraceptives so your question is not equal. A better question would be if there was a law forcing all restaraunts [sic] to offer pork on the menu and every restaurant was required to offer it, should muslims be excempt? I'd say no. Again no one is forcing any one to use contraceptives.
    Of course, if you think (even ignoring any religious issues) that any level of government ought to have the power to require all restaurants to serve pork, then you are missing the point entirely.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  10. #240
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Of course, if you think (even ignoring any religious issues) that any level of government ought to have the power to require all restaurants to serve pork, then you are missing the point entirely.
    Perhaps you would consider reading that post in its entirety?
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


Page 24 of 53 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •