Page 23 of 53 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 530

Thread: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

  1. #221
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What if for discussions sake, we were talking about Muslims in this country being forced to eat pork? Would your view be the same?


    j-mac
    No one at all is forcing anyone to use the contraceptives so your question is not equal. A better question would be if there was a law forcing all restaraunts to offer pork on the menu and every restaurant was required to offer it, should muslims be excempt? I'd say no. Again no one is forcing any one to use contraceptives.

    For the record I don't support contraceptives being a forced part of health care, however, currently it is. So since it is, everyone should have the same standard.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  2. #222
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Great. So the employer can fire you, and or do away with your health insurance....You don't own either.....Thanks for playin'.



    j-mac
    You make a huge mistake in reasoning (as we all knew your long winded game was going this way). The pay is the employers until he gives it to me. As is the insurance. He cannot tell me what to spend my money on. Nor should he tell me what I should use insurance for. You admit that it is compensation, and not anything else. And as pointed out above, no one makes anyone use contraceptions or anything else. The choice for use is with the individual, the one compsensated.

    Do you see this yet?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #223
    Guru
    Aberration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,699

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You make a huge mistake in reasoning (as we all knew your long winded game was going this way). The pay is the employers until he gives it to me. As is the insurance. He cannot tell me what to spend my money on. Nor should he tell me what I should use insurance for. You admit that it is compensation, and not anything else. And as pointed out above, no one makes anyone use contraceptions or anything else. The choice for use is with the individual, the one compsensated.

    Do you see this yet?
    And if he gives you insurance that does not cover BC, you can do what you wish with it.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

  4. #224
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    And if he gives you insurance that does not cover BC, you can do what you wish with it.
    Which would be like paying less than minimum wage. If all others have to have this minimal provision, so should everyone. Again, no one is forced to use this, and if it is against YOUR beliefs, don't use it. But those who don;t share your belief can. The issue here is if anyone is foring anyone against their beliefs. No one is. Clergy still don't have to use contraceptions or anything else.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #225
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    if there was a law forcing all restaraunts to offer pork on the menu and every restaurant was required to offer it, should muslims be excempt? I'd say no.
    I'd say 'yes'. Restricting religious freedom isn't always wrong, but there should be a compelling reason.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  6. #226
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    I'd say 'yes'. Restricting religious freedom isn't always wrong, but there should be a compelling reason.
    Why should someone's religion excempt them from the laws of a country that they are in?
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  7. #227
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    Why should someone's religion excempt them from the laws of a country that they are in?
    That has to be determined by the Supreme Court.

    But it seems clear that the government should not be telling religions what to do any more than religions should be telling governments what to do. Both must be held in check.

  8. #228
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    That has to be determined by the Supreme Court.

    But it seems clear that the government should not be telling religions what to do any more than religions should be telling governments what to do. Both must be held in check.
    I am talking about my opinion not the SC opinion. Nothing in our constitution that I am aware of states whether or not anyone has a right to be exempt from laws so the SC doesn't have much to rule on that I can think of.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  9. #229
    Guru
    Diogenes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    10-11-13 @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,980

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    Why should someone's religion excempt them from the laws of a country that they are in?
    Our constitution prohibits laws that arbitrarily infringe on religion. Requiring Muslim or Jewish restaurants to serve pork serves no public purpose, nor does requiring a self-insured Catholic organization to provide birth control serve a public purpose.
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
    - Abraham Lincoln

  10. #230
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
    Our constitution prohibits laws that arbitrarily infringe on religion. Requiring Muslim or Jewish restaurants to serve pork serves no public purpose, nor does requiring a self-insured Catholic organization to provide birth control serve a public purpose.
    The question for me is not whether or not it serves a public service. The question for me is whether or not a persons religion should exempt them from the law. I do not think a person's religion should exempt them from the law, nor should it get them any special rights or treatment from the government. That is not equality.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


Page 23 of 53 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •