Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 530

Thread: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

  1. #11
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    No wonder the Catholic church is losing members daily.
    They are fast becoming history and it won't be the 1st time an organization failed to keep up with the times and disappears.
    RIP
    I am a Catholic and go to church with Catholics. Most of us don't support the church suing and as noted above, approve birth control. Many of us think the church is out of touch and don't understand hy they are so wrong on this issue.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    While I'm not sure the number is quite as high as 98%, I'm pretty sure that the number of Catholics that use BC is pretty high. At least over 75%. So I highly doubt that all of those Catholics who do use BC would also feel that the BC/Catholic conflict in this case was a high priority in who they vote for.

    In fact, it looks like even an expert trying to refute the 98% claim actually admits that it is closer to about 85%. That's a pretty high number considering the church is against BC.

    The claim that 98 percent of Catholic women use contraception: a media foul - The Washington Post

    Don't get me wrong, I think its great so many people are using BC despite beliefs against it (it shows people are questioning the sense of what their religion is teaching). My mother used BC, is Catholic, and still managed to have 6 of us.
    In the apst I've heard mid sixties to seventies. But the exact number means less than admitting it's likely a rather large number.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #13
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,366

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    And the Presidency doesn't give you dictatorial power to order entitlements.

    Obama has no more right to force entities to provide birth control free of charge than he does to make you clean my toilet.
    Some religous sects do not allow ANY medical treatment, so you want to end all healthcare because of them? Your religion is not the boss here and they get far to much special treatment as it is. They are just mad because we won't let them molest children anymore.

  4. #14
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Obama's suing Arizona over its right to protect its borders. The Catholic Church is suing Obama over his infringement on their rights. The Supreme Court is about to vote on an unprecedented power play by Obama to mandate the purchase of health insurance.

    Stay tuned for more of "Obama versus the United States of America."

    If it werent for blatant dumbness like this from the obama admin....this election wouldnt even be a challenge for him...It seems he does some things that are just obviously stupid to make himself look bad.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,069

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Some religous sects do not allow ANY medical treatment, so you want to end all healthcare because of them? Your religion is not the boss here and they get far to much special treatment as it is. They are just mad because we won't let them molest children anymore.
    End all healthcare? LOL, that's rich.

    No, I don't expect the people who deny any and all healthcare to pay for mine. But I'm not a leechy liberal.

    You people don't want a president. You want a dictator.

  6. #16
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    10-18-12 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    And the Presidency doesn't give you dictatorial power to order entitlements.

    Obama has no more right to force entities to provide birth control free of charge than he does to make you clean my toilet.
    i would say those "entities" need to pay taxes to have representation, i pay taxes and have VERY little representation. so why do they have soooo much representation again?

  7. #17
    Guru
    Aberration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,699

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    While I'm not sure the number is quite as high as 98%, I'm pretty sure that the number of Catholics that use BC is pretty high. At least over 75%. So I highly doubt that all of those Catholics who do use BC would also feel that the BC/Catholic conflict in this case was a high priority in who they vote for.

    In fact, it looks like even an expert trying to refute the 98% claim actually admits that it is closer to about 85%. That's a pretty high number considering the church is against BC.

    The claim that 98 percent of Catholic women use contraception: a media foul - The Washington Post

    Don't get me wrong, I think its great so many people are using BC despite beliefs against it (it shows people are questioning the sense of what their religion is teaching). My mother used BC, is Catholic, and still managed to have 6 of us.
    This has nothing to do with the use of BC.

    It has to do with forcing the Church to pay for it.

    Huge difference.

  8. #18
    Guru
    Aberration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,699

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by majora$$hole View Post
    i would say those "entities" need to pay taxes to have representation, i pay taxes and have VERY little representation. so why do they have soooo much representation again?
    The congregation pays taxes like everyone else. And for those that dont the government insists on claiming them as citizens.

  9. #19
    Guru
    BWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Coast
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod
    Obama's suing Arizona over its right to protect its borders.
    No they're not.

    This Complaint sets out three categories of unlawful conduct: (1) a pattern or practice of discriminatory and otherwise unconstitutional law enforcement actions against Latinos in Maricopa County; (2) discriminatory jail practices against Latino prisoners with limited English language skills; and (3) a pattern or practice of retaliatory actions against perceived critics of MCSO activities.

    This action is brought to enforce the First Amendment, Fourth Amendment, and Fourteenth Amendment of the United States Constitution; the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, 42 U.S.C. § 14141; Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, 42 U.S.C. §§ 2000d to 2000d-7; the Title VI implementing regulations issued by the United States Department of Justice, 28 C.F.R. §§ 42.101 to 42.112; and Title VI contractual assurances.


    http://www.justice.gov/iso/opa/resou...1544060757.pdf
    “We just simply don’t know how to govern” - Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR) a member of the House Budget Committee

  10. #20
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,909

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    No wonder the Catholic church is losing members daily.
    They are fast becoming history and it won't be the 1st time an organization failed to keep up with the times and disappears.
    RIP
    "The Roman Catholic Church continues to see its membership increase in the U.S., while most Protestant churches are shrinking, according to an annual report by the National Council of Churches."

    Catholic church growing, Baptist and mainline Protestant numbers decline | Believe It or Not | a Chron.com blog

Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •