Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Chinese company buys AMC movie theater chain

  1. #11
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Chinese company buys AMC movie theater chain

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    I understand the difference between communism by definition, and what's going on in China. There has never been a truly communist country by definition.

    I also understand that private ventures in China remain at the mercy of governmental whims, and that it comes at a tremendous expense of the lower end of the people, who are treated no better than animals. The government there still is completely immune to its people.
    Well then they are not communist. Just an authoritarian state capitalist system.


  2. #12
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:33 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,222

    Re: Chinese company buys AMC movie theater chain

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Well then they are not communist. Just an authoritarian state capitalist system.
    Which, by dismissing basic human rights within their borders, makes them impossible to compete with as a country that does recognize human rights.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:31 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,515

    Re: Chinese company buys AMC movie theater chain

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    I understand the difference between communism by definition, and what's going on in China. There has never been a truly communist country by definition.

    I also understand that private ventures in China remain at the mercy of governmental whims, and that it comes at a tremendous expense of the lower end of the people, who are treated no better than animals. The government there still is completely immune to its people.
    And China has moved dramatically away from what it was like 30 years ago, to being a mixed economy (still with strong state ownership). It is as capitalist as many European countries are

    What it is and was is authoritarian, which you can have in a capitalist or communist country
    Conservatives believe that the government is incompetent, and seek to elect people who will ensure it is

  4. #14
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Chinese company buys AMC movie theater chain

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Which, by dismissing basic human rights within their borders, makes them impossible to compete with as a country that does recognize human rights.
    Not exactly... If we just recognized that they do not recognize human rights and not allow our private enterprises to take advantage of that for cheap labor and quick profit China could be cut off.


  5. #15
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:33 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,222

    Re: Chinese company buys AMC movie theater chain

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Not exactly... If we just recognized that they do not recognize human rights and not allow our private enterprises to take advantage of that for cheap labor and quick profit China could be cut off.
    On that we can agree, although the stranglehold that unions place on manufacturing here make it often impossible to produce affordable products for everyday Americans.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:31 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,515

    Re: Chinese company buys AMC movie theater chain

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    On that we can agree, although the stranglehold that unions place on manufacturing here make it often impossible to produce affordable products for everyday Americans.
    I think the willingness to work for $3000 a year, rather then $40 000 a year is a bigger factor. I doubt many americans would work in a factory at $3000 a year, when they could work at Burger King for more, or heck just selling shoes would make them more money
    Conservatives believe that the government is incompetent, and seek to elect people who will ensure it is

  7. #17
    Sage
    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,898

    Re: Chinese company buys AMC movie theater chain

    I can imagine what the commercials will be now before the movie or even the coming attractions.

  8. #18
    Sidewalk Inspector
    Utility Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,210

    Re: Chinese company buys AMC movie theater chain

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    On that we can agree, although the stranglehold that unions place on manufacturing here make it often impossible to produce affordable products for everyday Americans.
    "there is little value in opposing the threat of a closed society by imitating its arbitrary restrictions."

  9. #19
    Professor
    00timh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    upstate NY
    Last Seen
    01-24-14 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,318

    Re: Chinese company buys AMC movie theater chain

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    I understand the difference between communism by definition, and what's going on in China. There has never been a truly communist country by definition.

    I also understand that private ventures in China remain at the mercy of governmental whims, and that it comes at a tremendous expense of the lower end of the people, who are treated no better than animals. The government there still is completely immune to its people.
    Cuba is probably the closest to true communism, and the former U.S.S.R. did a good job at it for a while as well.

  10. #20
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverOprah
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,635

    Re: Chinese company buys AMC movie theater chain

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    The Chinese are coming — to your local movie theater. With the fanfare from Superman, and toasts of red wine, representatives of Chinese company Wanda signed a deal in Beijing Monday morning to buy AMC, the second-largest theater chain in the USA.


    If approved by U.S. and Chinese regulators, the $2.6 billion acquisition will create the world's largest theater group, the companies said. The move, China's biggest corporate takeover to date in the USA, highlights the rising financial strength of its top firms.

    Thank you american corporations.


    Chinese company buys AMC movie theater chain
    This is foolish spending and a sign of immaturity. The Japanese pulled the same kind of bull**** (e.g., Pebble Beach Golf Resort), and failed.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •