Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 51

Thread: Eduardo Saverin Bill Backed By John Boehner

  1. #21
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Eduardo Saverin Bill Backed By John Boehner

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    Sorry if you felt that I was talking down to you. That being said, what you represent what I said shows you are either confused about what I said, or you just don't know the point I was making. I never said Buffett paid no taxes, I said he paid no taxes on his UNREALIZED gains in Berkshire stock he owns. Never said it was illegal either.
    All right, well I can forgive you. I'll have to research the Buffet tax situation. In any case, I see it as a separate issue. To me it seems logical if someone renounces citizenship to evade taxes, he should not be allowed back into the country.

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    BTW- I do not think that raising taxes is a bad thing, I have for a long time supported getting rid of the carried income rule that allows hedge fund managers to get away with paying long term capital gains rates on what is essentially their income from their jobs. Creating another bracket for people earning over a million dollars would seem like a more appropriate response than the Buffett rule in my view as it would not be so distortive and hurtful to our economy,
    I agree that we need taxes to go up in some ways. I oppose the far right's "de-fund the government movement." I do not think if we take large amounts of money away from the government that it will result in the free market filling the void of services that we need. I think it will mean our roads and bridges will crumble, fire fighters will be late to fires, police forces will be understaffed, polluters will get away with it, etc. I would start by letting capital gains go back up to 20 percent. I would also let the Bush tax cuts expire finally. All of them.

  2. #22
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,358

    Re: Eduardo Saverin Bill Backed By John Boehner

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    All right, well I can forgive you. I'll have to research the Buffet tax situation. In any case, I see it as a separate issue. To me it seems logical if someone renounces citizenship to evade taxes, he should not be allowed back into the country.



    I agree that we need taxes to go up in some ways. I oppose the far right's "de-fund the government movement." I do not think if we take large amounts of money away from the government that it will result in the free market filling the void of services that we need. I think it will mean our roads and bridges will crumble, fire fighters will be late to fires, police forces will be understaffed, polluters will get away with it, etc. I would start by letting capital gains go back up to 20 percent. I would also let the Bush tax cuts expire finally. All of them.
    Regarding this Facebook guy, what I understand is that he moved to Singapore in 2009, not just as this IPO came out. So I just think this is a political stunt. Let's remember that he was born in Brazil and lived here about 10 years to the best of my knowledge. In the world we live in I think people who have the ability to be mobile will move for any of a variety of reasons. Also remember, and this is why I tied Buffett into this, unless he sells his shares he has no tax liability, similar to the stock Buffett has in Berkshire.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,871

    Re: Eduardo Saverin Bill Backed By John Boehner

    Perhaps Chuckie should add a little something extra to his proposal...like language requiring any rich person who want to visit the US to pay a toll...say, half their net worth.

    That'll teach those rich greedy bastards a lesson for sure.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  4. #24
    Sage

    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,925

    Re: Eduardo Saverin Bill Backed By John Boehner

    Yeah, let's keep the rich people out and let the poor people in. Great idea.
    Нава́льный 2018

  5. #25
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    01-17-15 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    629

    Re: Eduardo Saverin Bill Backed By John Boehner

    I don't think we should single out this individual. Its standard practice among the wealthy to avoid taxes as much as possible. Corporations ship jobs overseas, keep money tied up overseas. Apple outsources jobs to China while keeping billions in profits and has an office in Nevada to get out of taxes, probably has offices worldwide too to do the same. We need tax reform across the board and new policies to deal with these issues.

  6. #26
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Eduardo Saverin Bill Backed By John Boehner

    Quote Originally Posted by Opteron View Post
    I don't think we should single out this individual. Its standard practice among the wealthy to avoid taxes as much as possible. Corporations ship jobs overseas, keep money tied up overseas. Apple outsources jobs to China while keeping billions in profits and has an office in Nevada to get out of taxes, probably has offices worldwide too to do the same. We need tax reform across the board and new policies to deal with these issues.
    The bill doesn't single one person out. It's aimed at anyone who renounces citizenship to avoid taxes.

  7. #27
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    01-17-15 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    629

    Re: Eduardo Saverin Bill Backed By John Boehner

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    The bill doesn't single one person out. It's aimed at anyone who renounces citizenship to avoid taxes.
    Ya I know, but the whole premise of the bill is based on this guy, I think and its probably news because of him. I guess that's ok to fix a problem if it needs fixing, but I don't think we should rail on this guy and then let corporations continue to claim global breaks and other rich people allow to put money in trusts, etc.

  8. #28
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Eduardo Saverin Bill Backed By John Boehner

    Quote Originally Posted by Opteron View Post
    Ya I know, but the whole premise of the bill is based on this guy, I think and its probably news because of him. I guess that's ok to fix a problem if it needs fixing, but I don't think we should rail on this guy and then let corporations continue to claim global breaks and other rich people allow to put money in trusts, etc.
    I agree this is a minor dirty trick compared to some robber baron activity out there. Do you get The Young Turks on the Current channel? Cenk Uygur has been covering crooked people who buy out a company to deliberately get big bonuses with no intention of keeping it running. Instead they drive it into bankruptcy, putting everyone out of work and walk away with their giant bonuses. It's criminal, or at least it should be.

  9. #29
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    01-17-15 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    629

    Re: Eduardo Saverin Bill Backed By John Boehner

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    I agree this is a minor dirty trick compared to some robber baron activity out there. Do you get The Young Turks on the Current channel? Cenk Uygur has been covering crooked people who buy out a company to deliberately get big bonuses with no intention of keeping it running. Instead they drive it into bankruptcy, putting everyone out of work and walk away with their giant bonuses. It's criminal, or at least it should be.
    I get the Current channel, but I haven't watched it yet, its like channel 200 or something lol. That does sound criminal, almost fraudulent if they use other people's money. Did they use their own money to buy it out or did they lie to other people? Lot of the tax regulations need some fixing.

  10. #30
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Eduardo Saverin Bill Backed By John Boehner

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    Sorry if you felt that I was talking down to you. That being said, what you represent what I said shows you are either confused about what I said, or you just don't know the point I was making. I never said Buffett paid no taxes, I said he paid no taxes on his UNREALIZED gains in Berkshire stock he owns. Never said it was illegal either.
    So what are you saying? You think that capital gains should be taxed before they're earned?
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •