Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: Census: Minorities now surpass whites in US births

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: Census: Minorities now surpass whites in US births

    Looking at the Southern birth rates and Northern abortion rates I do believe the South will rise again-

    it just won't be whistling Dixie...

    One part of who gets elected to Congress is a little thing called gerrymandered districts. It is a neat trick, carve up enclaves you don't want to have a representative between two or three other neighborhoods. Dilute the group, be it a minority or a political party.

    It is going to take awhile for white folk to feel like black folk. The high birth rates are indicative of a high immigration flow. Once in this country for a generation or two the birth rate of falls to the national average. The boost some religious sects get, like Roman Catholic, doesn't carry too many generations into this country.

    I have noticed many white folks in my part of Oklahoma are truly worried what will happen to this country once 'they' take over. I figure if these same white folk spend the money on proper education, and I don't mean the self stroking myths, as well as a realistic districting plan, then the melting pot is good to go.

  2. #22
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,012

    Re: Census: Minorities now surpass whites in US births

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Should there be quotas to ensure equal representation? No, but I don't think you or anyone has suggested that despite that strawman being immediately created. However, I think there should be stronger efforts by society to understand why certain ethno-racial groups are underrepresented in government and to rectify that situation, particularly though educational institutions.
    In other discussion posters have stated America is a melting pot of different people. Why should it matter the ethno-racial background of a canditate for office? If you like what a canditate stands for and feel they will represent you well, it should not matter. Are you not promoting racial divide by saying if a group in under represented, efforts should be made to correct that?

  3. #23
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,529

    Re: Census: Minorities now surpass whites in US births

    Isn't it beyond obvious the vast majority of all voters are not happy with our current state government. At least a decade now of overwhelming disapproval.

    Time to change the guard.

    As a motorcyclist, I don't think just a "horse guy" would best represent my interests.
    As a beer drinker, I don't think a coffee drinker best represents my interests.

    I would think, if society was being truly represented, the ratios of race and gender would not be so lopsided in a direction that's quickly becoming a minority.

    If true representation was real, I also think the approval rating might be better.

  4. #24
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,012

    Re: Census: Minorities now surpass whites in US births

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Isn't it beyond obvious the vast majority of all voters are not happy with our current state government. At least a decade now of overwhelming disapproval.

    Time to change the guard.

    As a motorcyclist, I don't think just a "horse guy" would best represent my interests.
    As a beer drinker, I don't think a coffee drinker best represents my interests.

    I would think, if society was being truly represented, the ratios of race and gender would not be so lopsided in a direction that's quickly becoming a minority.

    If true representation was real, I also think the approval rating might be better.
    Are you saying that people of different gender and race can't have the same views? Your statement again just supports the divide among the people of this country. I will agree that it is time to get some new elected officials. What we may not agree upon is the type of canidate.

    We should all respect each others background. What we have in common is our Constitution and laws.
    Last edited by mike2810; 05-17-12 at 02:54 PM.

  5. #25
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Census: Minorities now surpass whites in US births

    It is a good thing. Having one single race dominate our society has been nothing but trouble. Better to have a situation where no single race can run the show without working with the others.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  6. #26
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,147

    Re: Census: Minorities now surpass whites in US births

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Isn't it beyond obvious the vast majority of all voters are not happy with our current state government. At least a decade now of overwhelming disapproval.

    Time to change the guard.

    As a motorcyclist, I don't think just a "horse guy" would best represent my interests.
    As a beer drinker, I don't think a coffee drinker best represents my interests.

    I would think, if society was being truly represented, the ratios of race and gender would not be so lopsided in a direction that's quickly becoming a minority.

    If true representation was real, I also think the approval rating might be better.
    Ok. One more time.

    To say that is to say that racial groups (which are biologically imaginary) represent a monolithic interest group. They don't. You are driving in the notion that racial groups are inherently divided, and they should remain that way. You are actually encouraging social racial segregation. We've been doing this for a long time now and it hasn't been working out for us. Racial tension remains extremely high in much of the country, and racial minorities remain under-educated and under-privileged, because they feel ostracized and distrustful of "white" society because we keep insisting the races should continue to be divided and view each other as adversaries because we view race as indicative of monolithic interests that are exclusive to that race.

    You are promoting that. If you honestly believe skin color or sex chromosomes dictates political beliefs, you're part of the problem. And that's what you're saying if you think that just having more brown people and people with vaginas will automatically equal better representation.

    Having representative numbers of people with superficial characteristics does not a representative government make. How in touch with typical black people do you think either Obama or Herman Cain is? Honestly?

    If we become socially integrated and equal enough that we wind up with equal numbers, that's great. That would be an indication that opportunity is, in fact, equal. But going into it with the goal of "we need X people who are this color" rather than "we need a society where all people can achieve" is the wrong goal, and will continue to perpetuate the very problem you're complaining about.

  7. #27
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Census: Minorities now surpass whites in US births

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    In other discussion posters have stated America is a melting pot of different people. Why should it matter the ethno-racial background of a canditate for office? If you like what a canditate stands for and feel they will represent you well, it should not matter.
    I agree to a certain extent. However, it's a fact that certain classes, races, genders and so on have specific political interests and societal problems that are understood best by people of their same class, race, gender, etc.. Therefore, ethno-racial background matters. A Congress filled with a bunch of white, straight, wealthy men is a Congress filled with people who
    do not fully understand nor sympathize with the problems and needs of most of the country.

    Are you not promoting racial divide by saying if a group in under represented, efforts should be made to correct that?
    No, I'm acknowledging the racial divides that do exist and the unique problems that face different races in the United States.

  8. #28
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,078

    Re: Census: Minorities now surpass whites in US births

    humans spend a lot of time worrying about the melanin content in other humans' skin.

  9. #29
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,012

    Re: Census: Minorities now surpass whites in US births

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I agree to a certain extent. However, it's a fact that certain classes, races, genders and so on have specific political interests and societal problems that are understood best by people of their same class, race, gender, etc.. Therefore, ethno-racial background matters. A Congress filled with a bunch of white, straight, wealthy men is a Congress filled with people who
    do not fully understand nor sympathize with the problems and needs of most of the country.


    No, I'm acknowledging the racial divides that do exist and the unique problems that face different races in the United States.
    We will disagree. Using your stance, then Obama can't understand or sympathize with the problems or needs of white people?

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Census: Minorities now surpass whites in US births

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Ok. One more time.

    To say that is to say that racial groups (which are biologically imaginary) represent a monolithic interest group. They don't.
    No, that is not what it says. However, it does acknowledge that ethno-racial groups, particularly minorities do often share collective interests (which is not even close to the same thing as being monolithic). Do you deny that, for example, Hispanics either share or perceive themselves as sharing specific political interests related to their ethnicity? How about blacks and their "race"?

    You are driving in the notion that racial groups are inherently divided, and they should remain that way. You are actually encouraging social racial segregation. We've been doing this for a long time now and it hasn't been working out for us. Racial tension remains extremely high in much of the country, and racial minorities remain under-educated and under-privileged, because they feel ostracized and distrustful of "white" society because we keep insisting the races should continue to be divided and view each other as adversaries because we view race as indicative of monolithic interests that are exclusive to that race.
    No, there is nothing in his arguments that drives the notion that "racial groups are inherently divided." He may believe that, I don't know, but his comments thus far have only acknowledged that ethno-racial groups often share political interests or perspectives that are not represented in government. That has nothing to do with "inherent divisions" as most of those differing interests/perspectives are societal in nature.

    You are promoting that. If you honestly believe skin color or sex chromosomes dictates political beliefs, you're part of the problem. And that's what you're saying if you think that just having more brown people and people with vaginas will automatically equal better representation.
    Skin color and sex chromosomes do not dictate political beliefs. However, how society treats people with of certain races and genders certainly influences peoples' experiences and in turn, their political beliefs. This is why Hispanics, blacks, women and gay Americans often perceive themselves as sharing interests with the other members of their groups and why politicians understand them as unique voting blocks.

    Having representative numbers of people with superficial characteristics does not a representative government make.
    Yes and no. It's not the superficial characteristics that make a more diverse government more representative of the people. It's the experiences and perspectives that often lie behind the superficial characteristics that make a more diverse government representative of the people.

    How in touch with typical black people do you think either Obama or Herman Cain is? Honestly?
    Wait, first you get on him for apparently saying that racial groups are a monolithic interest group and then you start talking about "typical black people." Which one is it? And if you believe that there is a "typical black person," then the implication is that there is are "typical" black political interests.

    If we become socially integrated and equal enough that we wind up with equal numbers, that's great. That would be an indication that opportunity is, in fact, equal. But going into it with the goal of "we need X people who are this color" rather than "we need a society where all people can achieve" is the wrong goal, and will continue to perpetuate the very problem you're complaining about.
    Acknowledging that the government is not representative of the people in terms of ethno-racial groups is not "perpetuating the problem," it's acknowledging the problem which is the first step to solving it. Brushing a problem under the rug by pretending that ethno-racial groups don't often have shared experiences and political interests, like you are doing, is just counterproductive.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •