Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 63

Thread: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

  1. #51
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,367

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    FYI, beer has no idea what a strawman argument is. I've tried to explain it to him several times to no avail.
    no im afrais you dont know,actually no you do know but you just stick your fingers in your ears and say lalalalalala i didnt hear it!!!!!!!!!!

    a strawman is a fake argument or distorting a current argument to knock it down,i never once mentioned trickle down economics,he tried to use it to knock my argument down when it wasnt my argument.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  2. #52
    Educator
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 11:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    912

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    You can't filibuster a budget. All budgets are passed through reconciliation, requiring a majority vote only.

    So why haven't they taken the President's budget, or one of their own, and voted on it in the Senate?
    Even Obama's Chief of Staff Jack Lew, the former Director of the Office of Management and Budget didn't know that budgets can't be filibustered. It's scary but that's the level of competence we're dealing with. And remember not a single dem would introduce Obama's budget in the House either where it was defeated 414-0 when introduced by the republicans.

  3. #53
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by beerftw View Post
    no im afrais you dont know,actually no you do know but you just stick your fingers in your ears and say lalalalalala i didnt hear it!!!!!!!!!!

    a strawman is a fake argument or distorting a current argument to knock it down,i never once mentioned trickle down economics,he tried to use it to knock my argument down when it wasnt my argument.
    You were DESCRIBING trickle down economics even if you didn't use the term. That's exactly what Ryan and the Republicans promote.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    So given that Obama's budget attempt this time failed by a vote of 99-0 and his previous attempt failed by a count of 414-0, that means 513 elected members in the Senate and the House have some brains in their heads.

    This, if the American people follow their lead and demonstrate the same intelligence, might be a good omen for the country.

  5. #55
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 06:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    497

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Beer, we understand how you wouldn't want to be associated with the label of Trickle Down Economics. It carries the ignomy of being thoroughly discredited and the disdain of all credible economists. Would it make you feel better if we came up with a more politically correct term for your abject failure of an economic policy?



    Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    So given that (the Republicans' caricature of) Obama's budget attempt this time failed by a vote of 99-0 and his previous attempt failed by a count of 414-0, that means 513 elected members in the Senate and the House have some brains in their heads.

    This, if the American people follow their lead and demonstrate the same intelligence, might be a good omen for the country.
    Yes, it would be a great thing for this country if the people followed this example and demonstrated the intelligence to vote against Republican budget proposals.

  6. #56
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,875

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Well if you consider reconciliation "passing a budget", then hurrah, we've passed budgets every single year.

    What the Republicans mean when they say we haven't passed a budget is that we had to resort to reconciliation to get it done.
    I think you misunderstood me. All budgets, regardless of controversy, are passed on majority vote only, no fillibusters. We haven't passed a year-long budget in 3 years. We've passed continuing resolutions of a 3 year old budget.

    If you want to hang your hat on that, be my guest.

  7. #57
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    3 years in office, no budgets passed, and he wants to be reelected. tsk tsk
    From the ashes.

  8. #58
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    3 years in office, no budgets passed, and he wants to be reelected. tsk tsk
    You realize that Congress has to pass a budget in order for Obama to sign it, right? It's not like Obama hasn't been proposing them.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  9. #59
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,719

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    The House has made several budget proposals and appropriations legislature as well some fiscal policy. Reid isnt interested in letting most of it come to a vote.

    Do nothing Senate is much more appropriate as a criticism on the US budget.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Yes, it would be a great thing for this country if the people followed this example and demonstrated the intelligence to vote against Republican budget proposals.
    You distorted my quote before responding to it? You Leftists have no class whatsoever.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •