Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 63

Thread: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

  1. #41
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by beerftw View Post
    all i can say is strawman,as soon as you said trickle down.

    great id you cant beat them insult themor skew their policies into something they are not and know them down.btw the strawman you used was made of black straw,that makes you racist
    What? That's what you are arguing, no? Trickle down. The idea that the key to our GDP is the rich having more money and that taxing the rich kills the economy. That's what the theory is. Are you saying you don't consider that trickle down or that you don't take that stance?
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  2. #42
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,376

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    What? That's what you are arguing, no? Trickle down. The idea that the key to our GDP is the rich having more money and that taxing the rich kills the economy. That's what the theory is. Are you saying you don't consider that trickle down or that you don't take that stance?
    i never said trickle down,you introduced it to knock it down,therefor a massive strawman.

    im sorry only the most unintellectual debaters use strawman arguments,and only the most ignorant dont know what they are
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  3. #43
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by beerftw View Post
    i never said trickle down,you introduced it to knock it down,therefor a massive strawman.

    im sorry only the most unintellectual debaters use strawman arguments,and only the most ignorant dont know what they are
    Er, what? A strawman is if I claimed you were arguing something you are not. It appears that the argument you are making IS the trickle down argument, no? If not, what points do you differ from the trickle down theory on?
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  4. #44
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,376

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Er, what? A strawman is if I claimed you were arguing something you are not. It appears that the argument you are making IS the trickle down argument, no? If not, what points do you differ from the trickle down theory on?
    i never once said tricke down economics,you did,and then tried to defeat an argument i never made,that is a textbook strawman argument,

    would you like to debate on real terms now and not logical fallacies??/i got about 30minutes before i go back on diablo 3
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  5. #45
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by beerftw View Post
    i never once said tricke down economics,you did,and then tried to defeat an argument i never made,that is a textbook strawman argument,

    would you like to debate on real terms now and not logical fallacies??/i got about 30minutes before i go back on diablo 3
    It doesn't seem like you're following. "Trickle down" is the name of the theory that it is crucial that we drive as much money to the rich as possible because they power the GDP. I don't care if you said the title of the theory, that's what you're arguing, no? If not, again, explain where your position differs from that theory.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  6. #46
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,376

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    It doesn't seem like you're following. "Trickle down" is the name of the theory that it is crucial that we drive as much money to the rich as possible because they power the GDP. I don't care if you said the title of the theory, that's what you're arguing, no? If not, again, explain where your position differs from that theory.
    but again i never once said anything about trickle down economics,you are just painting me as such because of your limited scope of debate.

    i brought up the ryan plan not the reagan plan,but nice of you to demonize whats to hard for youto read and fact check.i never even said im a supporter of the ryan plan,im just a supporter of certain parts of it.

    you on the other hand accuse others and label them before you even understand them,its easier to point a finger and use strawman arguments that to actually disprove an argument or provide a solution.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  7. #47
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Er, what? A strawman is if I claimed you were arguing something you are not. It appears that the argument you are making IS the trickle down argument, no? If not, what points do you differ from the trickle down theory on?
    FYI, beer has no idea what a strawman argument is. I've tried to explain it to him several times to no avail.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  8. #48
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,887

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    No, of course it wouldn't have. The House would never have approved it and the Republicans would have filibustered it in the senate.
    You can't filibuster a budget. All budgets are passed through reconciliation, requiring a majority vote only.

    So why haven't they taken the President's budget, or one of their own, and voted on it in the Senate?

  9. #49
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    You can't filibuster a budget. All budgets are passed through reconciliation, requiring a majority vote only.

    So why haven't they taken the President's budget, or one of their own, and voted on it in the Senate?
    Probably the reason is that they know it would never pass the House, and given the partisan divide, the only way to keep the government running at all is through continuing resolutions. Also, current spending is limited by the Budget Control Act. And further, they are playing a political game, which is unfortunate and probably counterproductive.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  10. #50
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    You can't filibuster a budget. All budgets are passed through reconciliation, requiring a majority vote only.

    So why haven't they taken the President's budget, or one of their own, and voted on it in the Senate?
    Well if you consider reconciliation "passing a budget", then hurrah, we've passed budgets every single year.

    What the Republicans mean when they say we haven't passed a budget is that we had to resort to reconciliation to get it done.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •