Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63

Thread: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

  1. #21
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,453

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    Did you miss this part?



    If I presented you with a 50 page book and told you it was Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, you'd be a little sceptical, even if I said all the main plot points were in there.
    Is that a link? No? That's what I thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #22
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    So wtf are you bitching about, blaming Republicans for NOT PRESENTING THE PRECISE PLAN OF OUR GOD LORD OBAMA!!! You're bitching about bull****.
    I think people are bitching about elected officials continuing to perform obvious political stunts in lieu of actual constructive policy making.

  3. #23
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Is that a link? No? That's what I thought.
    The quote was contained in the story that the OP was based on. You know, the one you liked but didn't read?
    Last edited by a351; 05-16-12 at 10:12 PM.

  4. #24
    Professor
    vendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-05-13 @ 08:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    We should just do away with the congress so our dear leader can do what must be done.

  5. #25
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,376

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Why? The end result is the same. I agree it would seem cleaner to just pass a fresh budget, but the Republicans won't let that happen. I guess I wish they would, but frankly I don't care much because the end result is the same thing, it's just sort of procedurally slicker with a fresh one.
    the republicans have had thr ryan budget and variations of,the democrats have produced alternatives to ryans plan,and there were probaby some bi partisan plans made in the house as well.

    the house has been doing its job,its been the senate thats been obstructionist.but whos to blame?the senate majority leader who blocks all bipartisan and non die hard wingnut liberal bills or the side that refuses to vote on die hard liberal bills?

    there are checks and balances in congress,and i think its hard not to be to the opposite party when they dont even support half the crap they push out,or bring up how a bill must be passes so what know what it does,because something must be done,never once saying it must be done right
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  6. #26
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by beerftw View Post
    the republicans have had thr ryan budget and variations of,the democrats have produced alternatives to ryans plan,and there were probaby some bi partisan plans made in the house as well.

    the house has been doing its job,its been the senate thats been obstructionist.but whos to blame?the senate majority leader who blocks all bipartisan and non die hard wingnut liberal bills or the side that refuses to vote on die hard liberal bills?

    there are checks and balances in congress,and i think its hard not to be to the opposite party when they dont even support half the crap they push out,or bring up how a bill must be passes so what know what it does,because something must be done,never once saying it must be done right
    The Ryan budget is about the farthest thing you can possibly imagine from bi-partisan. It is a flat out declaration of war on the middle class exclusively for the sake of the rich. It is totally out of control. Cruel, fiscally irresponsible, maybe even economically suicidal. We will fight that hateful vision for the future of this country to our last dying breath, no doubt. We don't need to accept that evil. We can just do reconciliation until cooler heads prevail on the right and something sensible can be worked out. Sooner or later, adults will reclaim control of the GOP. We just need to weather the storm until that day.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  7. #27
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,376

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    The Ryan budget is about the farthest thing you can possibly imagine from bi-partisan. It is a flat out declaration of war on the middle class exclusively for the sake of the rich. It is totally out of control. Cruel, fiscally irresponsible, maybe even economically suicidal. We will fight that hateful vision for the future of this country to our last dying breath, no doubt. We don't need to accept that evil. We can just do reconciliation until cooler heads prevail on the right and something sensible can be worked out. Sooner or later, adults will reclaim control of the GOP. We just need to weather the storm until that day.
    umm first have you read the ryan budget or are you claiming such because your masters tell you its bad.

    second i never said the ryan budget was bipartisan,you already fell into my partisan hack prediction

    third you only tried to refute the argument by calling republicans evil,not by mentioning any bills that got past dirty harry for a vote.wait all the ones that got past dirty harry were complete crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!but i know you wont admit this,its easier to blame the republicans than to admit your party has nothing or to actually try and solve a problem
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  8. #28
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Paul Ryans budget defeated in the Senate also....YAY

  9. #29
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,376

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Paul Ryans budget defeated in the Senate also....YAY
    yay we are budgetless again!!!!

    ow wait what ever happened to all those budgets the house worked on,they must have made some sort of sense and the idiots from both side must have said thats a bad idea to fix a budget during an election cycle,its more productive for votes to point fingers
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  10. #30
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by beerftw View Post
    umm first have you read the ryan budget or are you claiming such because your masters tell you its bad.
    I have read it. It is totally absurd. It cuts $800 billion from medicare over the next 10 years and $1.8 trillion over every 10 years after that. Every dollar removed from medicare means another dollar insurance companies pay which means another dollar retirees need to pay for health insurance. So, say you're currently 10 years away from retirement and you're married. You want to plan on at least 40 years or retirement given how life spans keep increasing and that you don't want to be stuck without enough. So, 2 people, that means 8 decades of retirement between you. There are around 50 million retirees. So, that is $36,000 more you need to spend for insurance per person per decade. So that totals up to another $288,000 on top of what you already thought you needed that you will need to save for retirement. Assuming a reasonable rate of return on your savings, that comes out to something like another $20,000 per year that you need to save up for each of the next 10 years for retirement. $1,666 more per month you need to put away if the Ryan budget were to pass.

    And that's just medicare. Many of the other cuts he proposes hit the middle class quite hard (although not that hard) as well. Changes to student loans that would mean the average person socking away more than a thousand more each year for their college or the college of their kids. Things like the elimination of the FAA and FDA and whatnot that are just plain absurd. Cutting virtually every program designed to help people out who are in poverty... It's a crushing blow to the middle class.

    And for what? It doesn't pay down any more deficit than Obama's budget does. It just uses all that money it is taking from the middle class to fund massive tax breaks for the rich. Dropping the top income tax bracket from 35% to 25%, lowering capital gains, creating huge exclusions for investors and those who inherit multi million dollar estates....

    It IS evil. There isn't any other word for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by beerftw View Post
    but i know you wont admit this,its easier to blame the republicans than to admit your party has nothing or to actually try and solve a problem
    Passing a fresh budget doesn't equate to "solving a problem"... Passing a fresh budget or using reconciliation to create the new budget are just two different methods of doing the same thing. They are both equally capable of solving whatever problems.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •