Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 106

Thread: Jury reaches verdict in former officer's beating trial

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Jury reaches verdict in former officer's beating trial

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    I didnt say any of that ...I didnt mention civil rights or due process ...and I didnt say I disagreed with the court...I was stating facts as I see them....
    More equivocation hilarity lol

  2. #72
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Jury reaches verdict in former officer's beating trial

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I agree. Jerry would most likely applaud those who lynched blacks in the South and got off. "They were found not guilty" is what he would say.
    What i find funny is that if anyone has dibs to defend these guys...its me...but I cant....just watching the fricken video how the hell can you say it was right...to try and defend those cops...makes the 99% of good cops look like chit...and Im not doin it

  3. #73
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,177

    Re: Jury reaches verdict in former officer's beating trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You just can't get past the fact that the system worked even-though the courts didn't do what you wanted. You wanted due process, you got it. Due process isn't a vending machine where you can push a button and get the verdict you want.
    No. I just think it's disgusting that your main complaint is that the cops didn't beat him hard enough. What they did to that man is not due process.

    I haven't said a word about the cop's trial. I'm frankly confused by it, but given the weird charges that really don't make much sense in the situation not exactly surprised.

    Why doesn't that man get due process in your mind?

  4. #74
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: Jury reaches verdict in former officer's beating trial

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    What i find funny is that if anyone has dibs to defend these guys...its me...but I cant....just watching the fricken video how the hell can you say it was right...to try and defend those cops...makes the 99% of good cops look like chit...and Im not doin it
    I agree. Most cops here in Houston are pretty decent, and a few go above and beyond. A few months ago, returning from a gig, with my wife in the car with me, I got a flat tire, and pulled into a gas station. As I was changing my tire, a cop came up and helped me. You don't see that much, but when you do, you get to appreciate cops. Not all of them, though. There are a few bad apples that belong in jail or in a padded cell. LOL.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  5. #75
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:33 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Jury reaches verdict in former officer's beating trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I have no tears for teen criminals. It's to bad the cops have to face additional legal action in the future, and that this teen couldn't find a way to get himself shot or ran over by that white police car.

    Yes, I watched your video link in it's entirety. This was not a 'brutal assault'. Frankly I'm ashamed those cops couldn't land even 1 decent kick.
    This is the kind of idiotic thinking that just cost my city 1.6 million in a civil suit for the wrongful death of a mentally diabled man by police who thought he had attempted to steal money from an ATM machine. It all started when two airhead females phoned 911 to reported a suspicious man at the ATM machine. The deceased man withdrew some money from his ATM account and headed to a convenience store to buy some soda and a snickers bar. The police found him in the convenience store and proceeded to beat him, tie him and taser him until he died. His last dying words were, "I just wanted a snickers bar."

    The guy had broken no laws. Yes, he is mentally disabled so he may not look or act like you or I but that does not give you the right to kill him.

  6. #76
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,928

    Re: Jury reaches verdict in former officer's beating trial

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    They were charged and found not guilty. With this video I am trying to understand how.
    I don't know how a jury trial works in Texas but in California the Juries get instructions that deny the Juries inherent rights to apply discretionon in the application of the law. I have a distict feeling that there was some very very narrow and distict wording in the jury instructions and further I wonder what parts of the tape were edited and how if they were edited. Just from the video the officers involved commited battery, at the least. There of course may be circumstances and evidence that we are not privy to. If I was on the jury from what little I have seen I would probably have convicted, unless there was something else involved that violated their rights. Hard to say with out all the facts. Just like the Travon Martin case.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  7. #77
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Jury reaches verdict in former officer's beating trial

    Here's a small sample to back up my position. Right now our lovely police are being investigated for 150 shootings. If they're so innocent, then why don't they give up the info just as they expect us to do.

    Nevada high court indefinitely delays coroner's inquest - News - ReviewJournal.com

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    I don't know and don't much care because it just doesn't pass the bull**** smell test. I mean lets look at it logically. For this scenario to play out as described by you EVERYONE involved, narcotics, teachers, fellow classmates, countless street cops, supervisors, supervisores supervisors, basically the whole damn police department has to be involved and committed to lying and framing. And to what end?

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Jury reaches verdict in former officer's beating trial

    Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    What? That makes no sense..

    Policemen can't assault a suspect.
    Alright, you seem like a decent person who's not interested in blowing smoke, so I'll level with ya.

    The cops involved in the assault were all fired. Despite efforts to make this seem like white cops were getting away with beating a colored kid (not trying to bait there, I just don't know the teen's race), the institution, the government, da white ma'an, did not condone this incident or their behavior. They immediately fired those who were involved and cooperated with criminal investigators.

    Next, the charge. IMO the cops involved should have been charged with 'excessive force'. The prosecution would have likely gotten that charge to stick. However, the prosecution went with an uncommon and rather peculiar charge of 'official oppression'. This, to me, betrays the existence of an opportunist trying to make this about race instead of police misconduct. A lawyer with stars in his eyes trying to make a name for himself? A law firm with political motives?

    This x-cop isn't out of the woods yet, either. There are criminal appeals, civil lawsuits, and of course he'll never work as a cop ever again so he has to re-train for another profession. Mall cop ftw? He has a **** ton of legal fees and bull**** to deal with for years to come, so while this charge didn't stick, don't assume he's living the high life either.

    As for the kid, 2 wrongs don't make a right. You can't expect to be forgiven of your wrongs just because someone else wronged you. For the sake of the argument I'll grant that the cops were completely, totally out of line; over the top excessive force warranting severe criminal and civil penalties. That doesn't exuse burglary or felony evasion. 1. You don't rob, especially in TX of all places. The kid is lucky an armed civilian didn't take him down then and there. 2. You don't run from the cops. Under the right conditions a fleeing felony suspect can be shot on site. This kid could have been legally killed, but he walked away with 'only' a beating and a high-powered lawyer working pro-bono. Yes the kid is going to do some jail time, but he's also going to be rich when the dust settles.

    And people say crime doesn't pay.

    So, no, I have no sympathy for this punk. He's a criminal and he's a well paid political pawn.

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Jury reaches verdict in former officer's beating trial

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Hey, if you can just declare him guilty without a trial and say it's permissible to just beat the hell out of him even while he's lying on the ground defenseless, why bother having a justice system? Let's just get rid of it and give everyone tire irons.

    I'm with Middleground. It disturbs me that you're in the military. Why do you serve for a country whose principals you clearly don't believe in? It seems like you'd like America to be a lot more like Afghanistan than a developed country.
    Take it to the Basement.

  10. #80
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Jury reaches verdict in former officer's beating trial

    Checking out the video again.... the cop driving, the cruiser ****ed up. He should've hit, the punk harder and none of this crap would have gone to trial

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •