Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 106

Thread: Jury reaches verdict in former officer's beating trial

  1. #91
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Jury reaches verdict in former officer's beating trial

    I recall a rather sad history of what verdicts all white juries have handed out. We used to say that Justice was blind, snow blind. All white juries have found murderers of civil rights workers not guilty and the DA didn't appeal the verdict.

    Now the old saw about hating cops until you need one. How about saying it this way. Most Americans support Law Enforcement when it does it's job in a fair honest and LEGAL manner. No roadside shakedowns, no fake drug dog hits, no beat downs, you know, staying a professional as if you actually trained to be a cop, not just saw one on TV. Like most other jobs out there, do it fair and square and the public appreciates it, do it badly and people don't love you, do it badly with the power of arrest or deadly force and people might could hate you...

    Pretty simple.

    Now soldiers don't change their personal views when they put on the Green Machine uniform. Part of the time I was in the Regular Army as an Infantryman the movie 'Roots' came out. It caused a huge divide within the army, it showed the deeper bigotry many men had. Some blacks and whites displayed an amazing hatred for men they didn't know but could see the color of their skin. The uniform didn't make them color blind. It doesn't make them tolerant. Ask a soldier from the south what the slang names and outright slurs for Arab fighters are. Ask 'em if they never heard their fellow soldiers, coz THEY would never say it themselves, use terms like sand ni**er for arabs.

    But to be fair, soldiers reflect the society from which they came, more so for NGs. Weekend warriors are far closer tied to the civilian world than their RA counterparts. Wall Street regiments have their old boy comraderie while southern units have their good ol boy mindsets.

    Huh? There are no Wall Street regiments? That might explain a lot...

  2. #92
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,732

    Re: Jury reaches verdict in former officer's beating trial

    The subject of the beating has filed a Federal civil rights lawsuit against Blomberg and the other 3 officers who beat him. In addition, Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee has asked the FBI to see if criminal civil rights violations can be filed in this case. There is still the trial of the other 3 officers who have been charged, and this will go to court on Monday. The first trial is over, but the fallout from it is going to last for years.
    Last edited by danarhea; 05-18-12 at 12:33 AM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  3. #93
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Jury reaches verdict in former officer's beating trial

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Another one to my ignore list. Guess you will just have to flame bait someone else now. Buh bye.
    ignore everyone sick of your lies and you will soon have the place all to yourself.

  4. #94
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Jury reaches verdict in former officer's beating trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Alright, you seem like a decent person who's not interested in blowing smoke, so I'll level with ya.

    The cops involved in the assault were all fired. Despite efforts to make this seem like white cops were getting away with beating a colored kid (not trying to bait there, I just don't know the teen's race), the institution, the government, da white ma'an, did not condone this incident or their behavior. They immediately fired those who were involved and cooperated with criminal investigators.

    Next, the charge. IMO the cops involved should have been charged with 'excessive force'. The prosecution would have likely gotten that charge to stick. However, the prosecution went with an uncommon and rather peculiar charge of 'official oppression'. This, to me, betrays the existence of an opportunist trying to make this about race instead of police misconduct. A lawyer with stars in his eyes trying to make a name for himself? A law firm with political motives?

    This x-cop isn't out of the woods yet, either. There are criminal appeals, civil lawsuits, and of course he'll never work as a cop ever again so he has to re-train for another profession. Mall cop ftw? He has a **** ton of legal fees and bull**** to deal with for years to come, so while this charge didn't stick, don't assume he's living the high life either.

    As for the kid, 2 wrongs don't make a right. You can't expect to be forgiven of your wrongs just because someone else wronged you. For the sake of the argument I'll grant that the cops were completely, totally out of line; over the top excessive force warranting severe criminal and civil penalties. That doesn't exuse burglary or felony evasion. 1. You don't rob, especially in TX of all places. The kid is lucky an armed civilian didn't take him down then and there. 2. You don't run from the cops. Under the right conditions a fleeing felony suspect can be shot on site. This kid could have been legally killed, but he walked away with 'only' a beating and a high-powered lawyer working pro-bono. Yes the kid is going to do some jail time, but he's also going to be rich when the dust settles.

    And people say crime doesn't pay.

    So, no, I have no sympathy for this punk. He's a criminal and he's a well paid political pawn.
    this is a great reply. the cops were definitely wrong, but blaming the jury for not convicting on a charge of oppression isn't as outlandish as diarrnhea is trying to suggest.

  5. #95
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Jury reaches verdict in former officer's beating trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Alright, you seem like a decent person who's not interested in blowing smoke, so I'll level with ya.

    The cops involved in the assault were all fired. Despite efforts to make this seem like white cops were getting away with beating a colored kid (not trying to bait there, I just don't know the teen's race), the institution, the government, da white ma'an, did not condone this incident or their behavior. They immediately fired those who were involved and cooperated with criminal investigators.

    Next, the charge. IMO the cops involved should have been charged with 'excessive force'. The prosecution would have likely gotten that charge to stick. However, the prosecution went with an uncommon and rather peculiar charge of 'official oppression'. This, to me, betrays the existence of an opportunist trying to make this about race instead of police misconduct. A lawyer with stars in his eyes trying to make a name for himself? A law firm with political motives?

    This x-cop isn't out of the woods yet, either. There are criminal appeals, civil lawsuits, and of course he'll never work as a cop ever again so he has to re-train for another profession. Mall cop ftw? He has a **** ton of legal fees and bull**** to deal with for years to come, so while this charge didn't stick, don't assume he's living the high life either.

    As for the kid, 2 wrongs don't make a right. You can't expect to be forgiven of your wrongs just because someone else wronged you. For the sake of the argument I'll grant that the cops were completely, totally out of line; over the top excessive force warranting severe criminal and civil penalties. That doesn't exuse burglary or felony evasion. 1. You don't rob, especially in TX of all places. The kid is lucky an armed civilian didn't take him down then and there. 2. You don't run from the cops. Under the right conditions a fleeing felony suspect can be shot on site. This kid could have been legally killed, but he walked away with 'only' a beating and a high-powered lawyer working pro-bono. Yes the kid is going to do some jail time, but he's also going to be rich when the dust settles.

    And people say crime doesn't pay.

    So, no, I have no sympathy for this punk. He's a criminal and he's a well paid political pawn.
    You're making a strawman. Nobody ever condoned the burglary or the felony evasion. The point is is that under our justice system committing crimes doesn't warrant having the holy snot beaten out of you by police officers. You strawmanned again before, when people said that due process was what was needed and you cited the trial of the police officers, but ignored that they didn't give the teenager himself due process, which is the argument that you were responding to in the first place was all about.

    Strawman much?
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  6. #96
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Jury reaches verdict in former officer's beating trial

    What these officers did was unacceptable.

    He was in a perfect position after the vehicle struck him to detain him without furthur incident. He clearly was surrendering.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #97
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Jury reaches verdict in former officer's beating trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    What these officers did was unacceptable.

    He was in a perfect position after the vehicle struck him to detain him without furthur incident. He clearly was surrendering.
    However, I think "federal civil rights" charges are just stupid. Or is that par for the course these days when any minority is beaten by police?
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  8. #98
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,664

    Re: Jury reaches verdict in former officer's beating trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    What these officers did was unacceptable.

    He was in a perfect position after the vehicle struck him to detain him without furthur incident. He clearly was surrendering.
    One would surely think, right?

    I can't begin to count how many times this story has played out before or how many threads and posts are dedicated to the issue.

    In an organization staffed with human beings it is only logical that human screw-up's will ALWAYS factor into the equation.

    But if you took the percentage of bad cops and put it in perspective, you would probably find that 99.5% (just guessing) of them are leaders by example and are indispensable in our current day society. They are the kind of people you want for neighbors and friends.

    So, for a group, overall, I'd say that's a pretty impressive percentage of good people, wouldn't you?

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  9. #99
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,732

    Re: Jury reaches verdict in former officer's beating trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    It saddens me to add that Texas has (maybe) the largest KKK club in the US. It's a really huge group here and encompasses many law enforcement officers throughout central Texas and the Hill country. I've run up on the wrong side of them before. I had to back off. They can take a man's freedom away.
    Actually, the largest KKK Klavern of them all used to be in Indiana, which is in the North, not the South.
    Last edited by danarhea; 05-22-12 at 04:03 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  10. #100
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Jury reaches verdict in former officer's beating trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    One would surely think, right?

    I can't begin to count how many times this story has played out before or how many threads and posts are dedicated to the issue.

    In an organization staffed with human beings it is only logical that human screw-up's will ALWAYS factor into the equation.

    But if you took the percentage of bad cops and put it in perspective, you would probably find that 99.5% (just guessing) of them are leaders by example and are indispensable in our current day society. They are the kind of people you want for neighbors and friends.

    So, for a group, overall, I'd say that's a pretty impressive percentage of good people, wouldn't you?
    Agree the number of good cops is high, but disagree the number is that high. Just a guess on my part as well, but I figure the percentage of bad cops is approximately the same as the percentage of bad people in general. IWO: if the overall population contains 3% a-holes (just using 3% for example purposes), then LE probably contains 3% a-holes as well. They are... people.

    What's harder to discern is the number of LE that are basically decent and good people, but that have also become jaded over time. They do indeed deal with the worst of the worst in society on a daily basis, and that has to take a toll on some of them.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •