Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 102

Thread: Fire capt. demoted for alleged Trayvon rant

  1. #31
    Professor
    vendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-05-13 @ 08:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: Fire capt. demoted for alleged Trayvon rant

    Quote Originally Posted by cmakaioz View Post
    If we accept Beckmann's account at face value, he copied-and-pasted a racist statement instead of coming up with it from himself. He did, however, go out of his way to relay that racist statement, so no, he's not off the hook, and both the outrage and the call for penalty against him are perfectly appropriate.

    Since you seem to be either unwilling or unable to decipher the thinly-veiled codespeak and/or to grasp what is racist about it:

    The statement re-posted by Beckmann essentially implies that black people just make things up about racial profiling being a problem, and that the disproportionate degree of problems and strained relationships with law enforcement in black communities is something they bring entirely upon themselves. (Blaming the victim). This is clearly a racialized statement because it is raised as a presumptive counterpoint to an anticipated charge of racial profiling of "blacks" by a predominantly "white" law enforcement system. (In other words, if "urban" in Beckmann's reposted usage was really only intended to mean something like "of the city," there'd be no mention of/ attempt to minimize objections based upon racist profiling).
    Show me exactly the logic of what you claim. How did he say "black people just make things up about racial profiling?" What he actually conveyed is the sacrosanct leftist trope that we are products of our environment. The loony left should love this guy. He's right up their moronic, denial-paved alley.
    Last edited by vendur; 05-15-12 at 08:47 PM.

  2. #32
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Fire capt. demoted for alleged Trayvon rant

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    Zyphlin, i pose the same questions to you as I did PD. Why should a persons personal opinion on a public matter or even a political position or any other personal view cause them to lose a job or a position? Regardless of whether or not FB can be viewed by anyone it is our right to say it.
    It shows bias, as such it could bring into question whether he or the people under his command show preference in the performance of their public duties, give preferential treatment in the administration of their duties at the "house", follow policy etc. There simply is no good end to voicing personal and quite frankly, derogatory remarks by public servants.

  3. #33
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,746

    Re: Fire capt. demoted for alleged Trayvon rant

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    Fire capt. demoted for alleged Trayvon rant - CBS News





    More and more Facebook and personal opinions are being used to punish people in their place of business. There is nothing wrong with what he said. He broke no laws. He had every right to say it. Yet this happens.

    Well, imagine that. The Fireman was speaking his mind and got fired for it. 'Ya know, he is in a public sector union, which is going to fight that firing. But I forgot. You are against public sector unions.
    Last edited by danarhea; 05-15-12 at 09:06 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  4. #34
    Professor cmakaioz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Last Seen
    01-22-13 @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,582

    Re: Fire capt. demoted for alleged Trayvon rant

    Quote Originally Posted by vendur View Post
    Show me exactly the logic of what you claim. How did he say "black people just make things up about racial profiling?" What he actually conveyed is the sacrosanct leftist trope that we are products of our environment. The loony left should love this guy. He's right up their moronic, denial-paved alley.
    Some people deny racism because they are unable to see it...some deny it because they are unwilling to see it. Based upon your post, your perspective involves some combination of both.

    The racism in the statement lies in the clear implication that -- unlike some imagined normal human baseline, in which people would raise major complaints about a big issue because it really is a serious problem -- "black" people exaggerate or even fabricate the significance of racist profiling, and that their disproportionate challenges with regards to law enforcement are problems which they bring upon themselves.

    This is racist on at least two obvious fronts: 1) it adopts the bigoted premise (bigotry being the attribution of an exceptionalist causality to a group) that "black" people respond to systematic mistreatment in a manner different from the rest of humankind, and 2) this in turn implies that racist profiling perpetrated against "black" people is a made-up problem/non-issue.
    I've moved on to a better forum (scienceforums.net). Facts matter, and I don't have the time or energy for putting up with the pretense that they don't. PM me if you'd like me to get in touch with you when I'm done developing my own forum system, likely towards the end of 2013.

  5. #35
    Professor
    vendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-05-13 @ 08:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: Fire capt. demoted for alleged Trayvon rant

    Quote Originally Posted by cmakaioz View Post
    Some people deny racism because they are unable to see it...some deny it because they are unwilling to see it. Based upon your post, your perspective involves some combination of both.

    Well, there's some undeniably spectacular logic there. Getting off to a great start.


    Quote Originally Posted by cmakaioz View Post
    The racism in the statement lies in the clear implication that -- unlike some imagined normal human baseline, in which people would raise major complaints about a big issue because it really is a serious problem -- "black" people exaggerate or even fabricate the significance of racist profiling, and that their disproportionate challenges with regards to law enforcement are problems which they bring upon themselves.

    This is racist on at least two obvious fronts: 1) it adopts the bigoted premise (bigotry being the attribution of an exceptionalist causality to a group) that "black" people respond to systematic mistreatment in a manner different from the rest of humankind, and 2) this in turn implies that racist profiling perpetrated against "black" people is a made-up problem/non-issue.

    No, he was only saying that if these kids didn't come from such crappy families, they wouldn't commit so many crimes; therefore, it wouldn't be logical to profile them. It's a lefty canard that would be applauded in any another situation by the same people criticizing him in this case. His premise is a classist one, but not a racist one.
    Last edited by vendur; 05-15-12 at 09:49 PM.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Enola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    07-30-16 @ 02:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,326
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Fire capt. demoted for alleged Trayvon rant

    Our freedom of speech is disappearing about as quickly as the ice shelves.

  7. #37
    Professor cmakaioz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Last Seen
    01-22-13 @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,582

    Re: Fire capt. demoted for alleged Trayvon rant

    Quote Originally Posted by vendur View Post
    No, he was only saying that if these kids didn't come from such crappy families, they wouldn't commit so many crimes; therefore, it wouldn't be logical to profile them.
    Racist profiling is ALREADY illogical, because someone's "race" not only does not have any influence upon criminal activity, but indeed cannot have any influence upon it. RacISM, however, can and does have a heavy influence on whose criminal activity is seized upon, who is charged, the severity of the charges, etc.

    In any case, if the statement (according to your theory) isn't racist, kindly explain then why the statement mentioned racist profiling at all?!? If the originator of the statement (whether Beckmann or anyone else) was making a general socioeconomic statement unrelated to "race", why on earth would the charge of racist profiling be explicitly and preemptively dismissed?

    Quote Originally Posted by vendur View Post
    His premise is a classist one, but not a racist one.
    LOLZ...oh, RIIIGHT...so the originator of the statement explicitly defended against anticipated claims of racist profiling for what...fun?
    I've moved on to a better forum (scienceforums.net). Facts matter, and I don't have the time or energy for putting up with the pretense that they don't. PM me if you'd like me to get in touch with you when I'm done developing my own forum system, likely towards the end of 2013.

  8. #38
    Mod Apologist

    missypea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,152

    Re: Fire capt. demoted for alleged Trayvon rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    It shows bias, as such it could bring into question whether he or the people under his command show preference in the performance of their public duties, give preferential treatment in the administration of their duties at the "house", follow policy etc. There simply is no good end to voicing personal and quite frankly, derogatory remarks by public servants.
    Yeah, that's how I see it too. Leaders are held by a higher standard as well. I don't know if he had one, but there are moral and conduct clauses in most contracts these days.


    I would chat with her when I'm feeling particularly snarky, but I wouldn't ever call her on the phone.

  9. #39
    Professor
    vendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-05-13 @ 08:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: Fire capt. demoted for alleged Trayvon rant

    Quote Originally Posted by cmakaioz View Post
    Racist profiling is ALREADY illogical, because someone's "race" not only does not have any influence upon criminal activity, but indeed cannot have any influence upon it. RacISM, however, can and does have a heavy influence on whose criminal activity is seized upon, who is charged, the severity of the charges, etc.
    ROFLMAO. What a bunch of BS.I don't have 10 years to teach a pig to sing, though. Enjoy your fantasy world.

  10. #40
    Educator

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Fire capt. demoted for alleged Trayvon rant

    Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    His job is to lead.. and firefighters are black and white.

    He was a fool to undermine discipline, good order and teamwork to go off on a stupid rant trashing Trayvon's parents
    This rant did not mention, nor did it refer to, nor (probably) was he even thinking about Trayvon Martin's parents when he wrote that post. Those types of invalid conclusions are what causes things like this to become "news" stories. While it is probable that the fireman's thought process was tangential to the controversy surrounding Trayvon, his comments had to do with parents of inner city youth in general, and racial profiling. While it was probably dumb of him to post that, he was just speaking the truth. Placing the blame for a lot of the violence and hardships faced by inner city youth on their parents and their upbringing. This is something most policemen and firefighters KNOW is fact. They see it every day.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •