Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Obama’s Switch on Same-Sex Marriage Stirs Skepticism

  1. #1
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Obama’s Switch on Same-Sex Marriage Stirs Skepticism

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/15/us...-politics.html

    Sixty-seven percent of those surveyed by The New York Times and CBS News since the announcement said they thought that Mr. Obama had made it “mostly for political reasons,” while 24 percent said it was “mostly because he thinks it is right.” Independents were more likely to attribute it to politics, with nearly half of Democrats agreeing.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  2. #2
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Obama’s Switch on Same-Sex Marriage Stirs Skepticism

    Obama campaign: New York Times poll is 'biased' | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

    Obama should be careful not to piss off the left-leaning NYT.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #3
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Obama’s Switch on Same-Sex Marriage Stirs Skepticism

    Why is this automatically a negative? So he said he supports same sex marriage for political reasons. OK? Isn't that what pretty much all politicians do during campaigning? Anyone naive enough to not know that politicians will say stuff to get votes are probably not very up on politics to begin with.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Obama’s Switch on Same-Sex Marriage Stirs Skepticism

    I think he obviously made the comment for political reasons. Not sure there is a debate there. Also pretty sure he's not going to do anything about it; but time will tell on that one.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #5
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Obama’s Switch on Same-Sex Marriage Stirs Skepticism

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Why is this automatically a negative? So he said he supports same sex marriage for political reasons. OK? Isn't that what pretty much all politicians do during campaigning? Anyone naive enough to not know that politicians will say stuff to get votes are probably not very up on politics to begin with.
    Spot on. Politicians say and do anything they can to get votes. It is not a matter of what they believe it is a matter of how it effects the election. Obama is no exception. Dont be fooled into thinking Romney or any other politician is either.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Obama’s Switch on Same-Sex Marriage Stirs Skepticism

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/15/us...-politics.html

    Sixty-seven percent of those surveyed by The New York Times and CBS News since the announcement said they thought that Mr. Obama had made it “mostly for political reasons,” while 24 percent said it was “mostly because he thinks it is right.” Independents were more likely to attribute it to politics, with nearly half of Democrats agreeing.
    I think his announcement was definitely more for political reasons though given this is an election year.

  7. #7
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Obama’s Switch on Same-Sex Marriage Stirs Skepticism

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    Spot on. Politicians say and do anything they can to get votes. It is not a matter of what they believe it is a matter of how it effects the election. Obama is no exception. Dont be fooled into thinking Romney or any other politician is either.
    I'm not. I have every belief that Obama has been for legal same sex marriage for a while. He has been holding his official positions within safety zones until it looks like a majority is willing to accept them.

    And Romney has put out two different positions on this himself. He supports both an FMA and allowing states to decide. An FMA would prevent states from being able to actually decide on this issue. And I completely believe that he watched himself during the GOP primaries to try not to appear to be obsessed with this issue, as some of the other candidates appeared to be. This allowed him to appear like he was much more moderate on this issue than he now is expressing, since now he wants to try to win back some of those social-issue conservative voters.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Obama’s Switch on Same-Sex Marriage Stirs Skepticism

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Why is this automatically a negative? So he said he supports same sex marriage for political reasons. OK? Isn't that what pretty much all politicians do during campaigning? Anyone naive enough to not know that politicians will say stuff to get votes are probably not very up on politics to begin with.
    I think the point here that people are making is that Obama was supposed to be different. That's what he campaigned on in 2008. He has since then proven he is just like any other politician.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Obama’s Switch on Same-Sex Marriage Stirs Skepticism

    Don't care why, he's right.

  10. #10
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Obama’s Switch on Same-Sex Marriage Stirs Skepticism

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I think the point here that people are making is that Obama was supposed to be different. That's what he campaigned on in 2008. He has since then proven he is just like any other politician.
    Good thing I didn't vote for him in 2008 then, I guess. I don't feel like I bought into the hype and won't feel at all bad about voting for him this time.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •