Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 449

Thread: A Generation Hobbled by the Soaring Cost of College

  1. #51
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    05-19-14 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,083

    Re: A Generation Hobbled by the Soaring Cost of College

    look at Andres Serrano one of the more famous experimental artists never went to college.

  2. #52
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,805

    Re: A Generation Hobbled by the Soaring Cost of College

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Very few of us have to work a job to get the high school education, but college is different.
    I started working at 16 and I went to a private high school. By the time I got to my senior year, I paid for my own school. I didn't have to, I wanted to. I worked all the way through college and paid every penny of it out of my own pocket. I didn't have to, I could have gotten loans and all that, I wanted to. Before I got my first degree, I was very firmly in management and making a very, very good living.

    Today's kids got handed a raw deal. Everybody tells them the degree is worth the investment, then the jobs move overseas and the economy falters.
    Ha, everyone tells them they're special and they deserve to get things handed to them, just because they get out of bed in the morning. Many degrees are worth the investment. We are in an increasingly technical world. However, a degree alone doesn't guarantee you employment, nor is every degree worthwhile. Lots of people out there getting liberal arts degrees that are entirely pointless. My best friend got a Masters in history. He can't get a job because he never worked during his college years and history doesn't mean a damn thing to most in the workforce. It really doesn't matter what degree you get though, you're going to start at the bottom in most any company you get hired at and far too many of these self-absorbed idiots have unrealistic expectations, they want a corner office and a company car, just because they have a piece of paper in their hand. Sitting in a classroom doesn't automatically earn you jack squat.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #53
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: A Generation Hobbled by the Soaring Cost of College

    Quote Originally Posted by YoungConserv View Post
    look at Andres Serrano one of the more famous experimental artists never went to college.
    I love it when other artists point to (fill in artist who didn't get formal training here) when they want to argue why they shouldn't have to get an education either. They never get good at their craft and I don't have to worry about about the competition. Meanwhile they'll continue to ignore the statistics in that the Andres Serranos and the Jimi Hendrixes of the world are one in millions. Also, there's this hundred year old guy who smoked three packs of cigarettes a day his whole life and he's doing great, so light up!
    Last edited by Cardinal; 05-13-12 at 09:33 PM.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: A Generation Hobbled by the Soaring Cost of College

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    It really doesn't matter what degree you get though, you're going to start at the bottom in most any company you get hired at and far too many of these self-absorbed idiots have unrealistic expectations, they want a corner office and a company car, just because they have a piece of paper in their hand. Sitting in a classroom doesn't automatically earn you jack squat.
    While I agree with what you say, then I must question why go to college? If I can get my foot in the door 4-6 years earlier than someone chasing a degree that won't even help them in the company, as they'd start at the bottom like I am, why bother? Get the head start, and by the time they get out with a degree, tons of student debt and no experience, you have 4-6 years of experience under your belt and are much more employable and "worth more" to the company, don't you think?
    Last edited by dontworrybehappy; 05-13-12 at 09:30 PM.

  5. #55
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: A Generation Hobbled by the Soaring Cost of College

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    While I agree with what you say, then I must question why go to college? If I can get my foot in the door 4-6 years earlier than someone chasing a degree that won't even help them in the company, as they'd start at the bottom like I am, why bother? Get the head start, and by the time they get out with a degree and no experience, you have 4-6 years of experience under your belt and are much more employable and "worth more" to the company, don't you think?
    It sounds like an equally calculated risk. You're basically relying on succeeding in the company you're getting a head start in. If the company or your relationship with it goes south for any reason, you're now stuck outside without a degree. That would suck.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,805

    Re: A Generation Hobbled by the Soaring Cost of College

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    While I agree with what you say, then I must question why go to college? If I can get my foot in the door 4-6 years earlier than someone chasing a degree that won't even help them in the company, as they'd start at the bottom like I am, why bother? Get the head start, and by the time they get out with a degree, tons of student debt and no experience, you have 4-6 years of experience under your belt and are much more employable and "worth more" to the company, don't you think?
    There are many fields where college just isn't necessary. I think there should be more technical colleges which specifically teach hands-on skills for people who aren't going into a high-end career. That said though, it should never be an either/or proposition. You shouldn't make a decision between working or going to school, you should *ALWAYS* do both. Maybe if people had to work through college, they wouldn't have as much time to get drunk and party.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #57
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: A Generation Hobbled by the Soaring Cost of College

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I started working at 16 and I went to a private high school. By the time I got to my senior year, I paid for my own school. I didn't have to, I wanted to. I worked all the way through college and paid every penny of it out of my own pocket. I didn't have to, I could have gotten loans and all that, I wanted to. Before I got my first degree, I was very firmly in management and making a very, very good living.



    Ha, everyone tells them they're special and they deserve to get things handed to them, just because they get out of bed in the morning. Many degrees are worth the investment. We are in an increasingly technical world. However, a degree alone doesn't guarantee you employment, nor is every degree worthwhile. Lots of people out there getting liberal arts degrees that are entirely pointless. My best friend got a Masters in history. He can't get a job because he never worked during his college years and history doesn't mean a damn thing to most in the workforce. It really doesn't matter what degree you get though, you're going to start at the bottom in most any company you get hired at and far too many of these self-absorbed idiots have unrealistic expectations, they want a corner office and a company car, just because they have a piece of paper in their hand. Sitting in a classroom doesn't automatically earn you jack squat.
    Entry level doesn't mean the same thing to a college grad as it does to a HS grad.....
    In other words, the HS grad can start as a janitor, the college grad can start at much higher pay than the lead janitor....

    A degree will open more doors, better doors, even a degree in Art History....some jobs just require a degree, not a specific degree, because you will most likely be representing the company to others who also have degrees. No brand new degreed sales rep is expected to meet with the company's top janitor...unless he is selling cleaning supplies...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  8. #58
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: A Generation Hobbled by the Soaring Cost of College

    Due to how my last semester has gone at college - how the professors seem less interested in challenging the sutdents and more interested in dumbing things down so more students manage to graduate (etc) - I hold a higher education in a slightly lesser light.

    In the future when hiring employees I'll consider those who have no formal education - they might still know all that's necessary to do the job well. I just have to divise a method of figuring out what they can and do know - vs what they can't and don't.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  9. #59
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,703
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: A Generation Hobbled by the Soaring Cost of College

    Back in my day, parents were willing to help with college expenses... for their sons. If a daughter wanted to go to college, parents would scoff at the notion of "wasting" money on a mere female who would just find a guy to marry, pop out babies and mop floors for the rest of her life. However, I did not grow up in a "well off" society. We weren't blue collar, but we weren't rich either. The kids I knew in high school who went on to college worked to put themselves through. So when kids today have to also work to afford tuition, I just shrug and think, "Good, it builds character and they'll be studying because they want to learn, not frat-party their way through on mommy and daddy's nickle."

    That said, private universities have skyrocketing personnel expenses, paying university administrators and professors what I consider to be exorbitant salaries... hundreds of thousands to millions annually. That is unconscionable. They poor money into their sports programs, bribing atheletes with tens or hundreds of thousands in perks, all at university expense, all of which is paid for by students who are struggling through without scholarships or wealthy parents.

    I blame the colleges and universities for the higher-than-inflation tuititon fees. Corruption, competition for sports stars, obscene salaries... that is what I believe has caused this massive cost. If I ruled the world, every kid in the country would have an education funded by taxpayers from kindergarten through bachelor's degree. Our kids are not truly educated until they're college-educated, and I want every kid who wants to go to college to have the ability to do so.

    Unfortunately, I don't rule the world. If one wants a degree from a particularly expensive university, there are only two ways to earn it: Work for the money you need or take out loans, realizing that by doing so you are chained to a debt you may never be able to repay.

  10. #60
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,613

    Re: A Generation Hobbled by the Soaring Cost of College

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    You had to have rich parents to stay in college then, like I said, cry me a ****** river.
    Not then, but now you do unless you want a massive debt. Jobs college kids could get paid a lot more relative to the cost of living, plus college cost a lot less than it does now. Lots of people who didn't have rich parents still stayed in college. Of course, lots of them did have a six year loaf made from Dad's dough before they graduated with that four year degree.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •