Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 449

Thread: A Generation Hobbled by the Soaring Cost of College

  1. #421
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: A Generation Hobbled by the Soaring Cost of College

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Well, there is nothing Romney is proposing economically that differs from anything Bush did. Continue the Bush tax cuts and further lower taxes on the rich and de-regulation. Nobody has been able to come up with a meaningful distinction between the two.

    Romney’s economic plan is short on specifics - The Washington Post
    The Romney-Bush mind meld - Mitt Romney - Salon.com

    But here is an RNC spokesperson flat out admitting it- RNC Spokesperson Confirms: Romney Economic Policies Are "Bush Plan Just Updated" - YouTube
    Didn't Obama extend the Bush tax cuts?

    Hasn't Obama signed in less regulatory acts than Bush?

    Didn't Obama give out a Bailout like Bush?

    Smells the same to me.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  2. #422
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: A Generation Hobbled by the Soaring Cost of College

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    Didn't Obama extend the Bush tax cuts?

    Hasn't Obama signed in less regulatory acts than Bush?

    Didn't Obama give out a Bailout like Bush?

    Smells the same to me.
    Oh, no, no, he is totally different. He's a Democrat, after all, and Bush is a Republican. They're not even the same species, and may not even be the same genus.

    Never mind that their politics are so close as to border on identical.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #423
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: A Generation Hobbled by the Soaring Cost of College

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Oh, no, no, he is totally different. He's a Democrat, after all, and Bush is a Republican. They're not even the same species, and may not even be the same genus.

    Never mind that their politics are so close as to border on identical.
    DEMS and REPUBS are too often mirror images of the same anal opening...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  4. #424
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-14 @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,824

    Re: A Generation Hobbled by the Soaring Cost of College

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Ok...I bow to your knowledge, I have no current knowledge of cost...I do know my uncle had a masters from columbia and telling me he couldnt afford harvard....but that was many many years ago..
    If America were not trapped by the Big Lie about college, we would think of this being as stupid as someone claiming he could have played football at a major college, but had to settle for a Class II college because it was the only one he could afford. Even more relevant to all you indentured servants who talk about free education instead of paid education, how many blue-chip recruits would go to college if all they got was free tuition but still had to live miserably on part-time jobs? We still won't get anywhere near our potential by merely free education. After all, prison is free too. Unless they are from the upper classes, which are behind the Big Lie, most college students live no better than do the homeless.

    The Bible story about the patriarch who had to work as a slave for 7 years before marrying his owner's daughter and then being tricked into marrying her ugly sister should have warned us that college only prepares for the workoholic squeezed-out-free-time rat race, in which you have to become a rat in order to win.
    On the outside, trickling down on the insiders.
    We won't live free until the 1% live in fear.
    Hey, richboys! Imagine the boot of democracy stomping on your faces, forever.

  5. #425
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: A Generation Hobbled by the Soaring Cost of College

    Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusBound View Post
    If America were not trapped by the Big Lie about college, we would think of this being as stupid as someone claiming he could have played football at a major college, but had to settle for a Class II college because it was the only one he could afford. Even more relevant to all you indentured servants who talk about free education instead of paid education, how many blue-chip recruits would go to college if all they got was free tuition but still had to live miserably on part-time jobs? We still won't get anywhere near our potential by merely free education. After all, prison is free too. Unless they are from the upper classes, which are behind the Big Lie, most college students live no better than do the homeless.

    The Bible story about the patriarch who had to work as a slave for 7 years before marrying his owner's daughter and then being tricked into marrying her ugly sister should have warned us that college only prepares for the workoholic squeezed-out-free-time rat race, in which you have to become a rat in order to win.
    Did you go to college?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  6. #426
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: A Generation Hobbled by the Soaring Cost of College

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    Didn't Obama extend the Bush tax cuts?
    Sort of. He has wanted to end the cuts for the rich and extend the cuts for the middle class all along. Republicans made it clear that they would prevent him from doing that unless he extended them for everybody. During the midst of a recession a tax hike on the middle class would have made things much worse, so the lesser evil was to extend the whole thing. I doubt they'll do that again though. The Republicans will need to choose between not extending it for anybody or just extending it for the middle class this time, since we're out of the recession.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    Hasn't Obama signed in less regulatory acts than Bush?
    No. Quite the opposite. Bush did everything he could to destroy regulation. He put the biggest polluters in charge of the EPA, he put lumber company executives in charge of the department of the interior, etc. He de-regulated like a mofo. Obama has been doing the opposite. The EPA in particular has been ramping up regulation considerably under Obama.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    Didn't Obama give out a Bailout like Bush?
    Sort of. Bush started the process of bailing out the banks, Obama didn't stop it. And then Obama bailed out the auto companies. It is worth noting that the bank bailout was a failure and the auto bailout was a success. The auto bailout resulted in all three auto companies paying it back in full and now all three are profitable. That one helped actual real life working people. The banks did not pay it back and they are still screwing us just as bad as before.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  7. #427
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:38 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: A Generation Hobbled by the Soaring Cost of College

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Sort of. Bush started the process of bailing out the banks, Obama didn't stop it. And then Obama bailed out the auto companies. It is worth noting that the bank bailout was a failure and the auto bailout was a success. The auto bailout resulted in all three auto companies paying it back in full and now all three are profitable. That one helped actual real life working people. The banks did not pay it back and they are still screwing us just as bad as before.
    Wrong on many counts. Two companies received bailout money from the government (GM and Chrysler), not three. The auto bailouts started with Bush and continued with Obama - same as the banks. As of March, we were still short about $40 billion from GM and Chrysler - half of what they were given. Some of that can be recouped with stock, but not all of it. Of the money loaned to banks, the government has technically earned a profit - we've received more than we lent, even though some banks have still not paid back their loans. That's a bit misleading, though, because many of the banks paid back their TARP money using money from other programs. There's nothing to substatiate the "bank bailout was a failure and the auto bailout was a success" claim.

  8. #428
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: A Generation Hobbled by the Soaring Cost of College

    In California they're giving grant money to illegals........whatta country!
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  9. #429
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: A Generation Hobbled by the Soaring Cost of College

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Sort of. He has wanted to end the cuts for the rich and extend the cuts for the middle class all along. Republicans made it clear that they would prevent him from doing that unless he extended them for everybody. During the midst of a recession a tax hike on the middle class would have made things much worse, so the lesser evil was to extend the whole thing. I doubt they'll do that again though. The Republicans will need to choose between not extending it for anybody or just extending it for the middle class this time, since we're out of the recession.



    No. Quite the opposite. Bush did everything he could to destroy regulation. He put the biggest polluters in charge of the EPA, he put lumber company executives in charge of the department of the interior, etc. He de-regulated like a mofo. Obama has been doing the opposite. The EPA in particular has been ramping up regulation considerably under Obama.



    Sort of. Bush started the process of bailing out the banks, Obama didn't stop it. And then Obama bailed out the auto companies. It is worth noting that the bank bailout was a failure and the auto bailout was a success. The auto bailout resulted in all three auto companies paying it back in full and now all three are profitable. That one helped actual real life working people. The banks did not pay it back and they are still screwing us just as bad as before.
    Wrong on so many levels.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  10. #430
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,595

    Re: A Generation Hobbled by the Soaring Cost of College

    The biggest problem with the get educated now and pay for it later plan, is that the actual cost is no longer even considered, as pointed out in the article. If a student actually did the math, at the entering college level that should certainly be possible, they may decide that the future benefits are worth the expense, but in many 'specialties' that is not the case at all. While a BS degree in a 'hot' field may be a good bet, a BA degree in a 'slow or mediocre' field may not be. The most logical choice, IMHO, would be to start working, save some money and take classes, starting at a community college and then transfer to a state school to finish the degree program, working and paying as you go. This may make getting that degree take 7 or 8 years, but you are never over your head in debt, and are still fairly young upon degree completion. This plan has some other advantages as well; if you change your mind and decide on a different field of study, get married, drop out due to poor grades or find that 'good job' that requires no further educaton then you are still benefiting from the education that you did complete and the job experience that you have behind you but have no huge debt hanging over your head.
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 05-24-12 at 11:16 AM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •