Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 331

Thread: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

  1. #201
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,519

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    I was not "removing" the motivation, the motivation was not the subject at all. The subject was whether marriage is a civil right. Again, you skipped over the entire argument between American, Kate, Zyph and I.


    Again, the out of context semantic argument, this argument is specifically about SSM.




    OK...fine, you are not going to support your underlying argument about rights being denied....sort of pointless....but then most of your debates are, they are simply arguments to nothing.





    It is in the context of whether marriage is a civil right. You AGAIN are leaving out the CONTEXT of the debate.

    You are arguing within the framework that marriage is limited to heterosexual unions. The question at hand, is whether one has a right to marrying someone of the same sex, outside of the traditional framework. I thought everyone understood that BASIC point.

    Any other red herrings you want to toss out?
    Dude, look. You're confusing yourself again.

    If a civil right is being denied to one group -- homosexuals -- and granted to another group -- heterosexuals -- then you should be able to explain exactly what it is which is being denied.

    It's not "marriage" -- everyone can marry on exactly the same basis as everyone else.

    If this is not true, explain exactly how, keeping in mind that YOU say the motivation for wanting to do it -- love, sexual attraction -- is irrelevant to the civil right. Tell me who I, as a heterosexual, can marry that a homosexual cannot.
    Last edited by Harshaw; 05-12-12 at 07:08 PM. Reason: misplaced "it"
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  2. #202
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    And OP knows he lied with the thread title and the article. Mullet was arrested for trespassing, not for seeking a SSM.
    What exactly has this got to do with what I said?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #203
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Dude, look. You're confusing yourself again.

    If a civil right is being denied to one group -- homosexuals -- and granted to another group -- heterosexuals -- then you should be able to explain exactly what it is which is being denied.

    It's not "marriage" -- everyone can marry on exactly the same basis as everyone else.

    If this is not true, explain exactly how, keeping in mind that YOU say the motivation for wanting to do -- love, sexual attraction -- it is irrelevant to the civil right. Tell me who I, as a heterosexual, can marry that a homosexual cannot.
    My god, you just absolutely refuse to engage in the conversation as it stands.

    I don't know how to make it any simpler for you that to tell you: "The debate at hand is whether it is a civil right to marry someone of the same sex."

    The debate is stepping outside of the traditional framework of heterosexual unions.

    I'm not confused, you did not know what the debate was between Zyph and I, and now you have no idea what the basic debate at hand is.
    Your only motivation here has been to try to defeat my points since we now have an animosity built up. But this backfired on you here, since you came into the middle of a discussion you didn't understand. So either understand it by reading it, or keep looking bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #204
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Dude, look. You're confusing yourself again.

    If a civil right is being denied to one group -- homosexuals -- and granted to another group -- heterosexuals -- then you should be able to explain exactly what it is which is being denied.

    It's not "marriage" -- everyone can marry on exactly the same basis as everyone else.

    If this is not true, explain exactly how, keeping in mind that YOU say the motivation for wanting to do it -- love, sexual attraction -- is irrelevant to the civil right. Tell me who I, as a heterosexual, can marry that a homosexual cannot.
    A civil right isn't being denied to homosexuals. A civil right is being denied to men and to women. A man cannot marry another man simply because he is a man. A woman cannot marry another woman simply because she is a woman. The sexes of the people involved is what limits who they can marry. It works the same way when looking at interracial marriage bans. A civil right was being denied to black people and to white people. A white person could not marry a black person because he/she was white. A black person could not marry a white person because he/she was black. The races of the people involved is what limited who they could marry.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #205
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,519

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    I don't know how to make it any simpler for you that to tell you: "The debate at hand is whether it is a civil right to marry someone of the same sex."
    Good grief.

    I just asked you a simple question based on exactly this, and what you said about it.

    It's you who are refusing to engage it. Is it because you know that in order to answer the question, you have to admit that yes, love and sexual attraction are a component of the civil right?

    (And really, "since we now have an animosity built up"? Don't give yourself undue credit, Destepello. I actually thought you were Catawba when I first responded; I didn't even look very closely. )
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #206
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,519

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    A civil right isn't being denied to homosexuals. A civil right is being denied to men and to women. A man cannot marry another man simply because he is a man. A woman cannot marry another woman simply because she is a woman. The sexes of the people involved is what limits who they can marry. It works the same way when looking at interracial marriage bans. A civil right was being denied to black people and to white people. A white person could not marry a black person because he/she was white. A black person could not marry a white person because he/she was black. The races of the people involved is what limited who they could marry.
    That's a different discussion.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  7. #207
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    That's a different discussion.
    Why? Did I miss what you guys were discussing? It seemed to be where civil rights were being denied.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #208
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Good grief.

    I just asked you a simple question based on exactly this, and what you said about it.

    It's you who are refusing to engage it. Is it because you know that in order to answer the question, you have to admit that yes, love and sexual attraction are a component of the civil right?

    (And really, "since we now have an animosity built up"? Don't give yourself undue credit, Destepello. I actually thought you were Catawba when I first responded; I didn't even look very closely. )
    Oh, THAT is what your grand play is.....that all marriage, whether it is hetero or homo, is based on "love/sexual attraction"?

    No, not all are. Most might.

    But that still has no bearing on whether or not the RIGHT to be able to marry exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #209
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    That's a different discussion.
    No deary, that IS the discussion WE were in.....pre-harshaw.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #210
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,519

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Oh, THAT is what your grand play is.....that all marriage, whether it is hetero or homo, is based on "love/sexual attraction"?
    Uh, no, I didn't say that at all, and I know what the context was.

    This is the "civil right" as defined by katie:

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    The right to marry the person we love as heterosexuals do everyday.

    But that still has no bearing on whether or not the RIGHT to be able to marry exists.
    According to katie, that's what it's all about. And that's what she and Zyph were discussing.

    I don't see anything along the way which separated the "context" of the conversation from it. What I do see is YOU trying to separate love and homosexuality from the concept of marriage, though.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •