Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 331

Thread: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

  1. #151
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I don't understand what your point is.

    we have the right to marry..but we don't have the right to marry the one we love?

    It is a twisted semantic argument he wants to make, taking something out of context to fit his viewpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #152
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    So you marry your enemy? Who else does one marry if not a person they love. Don't start playing word games like Jerry either. You know what type of love I am talking about just like he does. But he wants to play games with words. Perhaps you will debate instead of being childish.
    Me? I do not. However I do know people who have married someone they don't love. I've known people to marry someone because of money. I've known people to marry people because of citizenship. I've known people to marry others due to lust and naivety that they wrongfully believed was love. I've known people to be shot down for marriage by the person they love. I've known people to have the person they love die before they could marry them.

    It's not a word game, its dealing with the things YOU'VE stated. You stated there was a right that does not exist, and I'm dealing with that. If you don't want people actually reading your words and talking about your words how about you stop 3 seconds and THINK about what you write. Rather than lecturing someone about being childish perhaps you should actually try and debate based on facts and reality rather than emotion and fantasy.

    Don't want people to take issue with the words you say, don't say stupid words.

    Love, when talking about the legality of marriage which when we're talking about marriage licenses and laws that's what we're talking about, is not inherent in terms of the constitutionality of marriage nor the "rights' that surround it. It's nothing but an emotional plea, worthless save for those who are either too emotionally invested or too lacking in knowledge to put together an actual legitimate argument as to why the laws are wrong.

  3. #153
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    If you ever get remarried...
    Bite your tongue.

  4. #154
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I don't understand what your point is.

    we have the right to marry..but we don't have the right to marry the one we love?

    We have the right to marry. That's it. Whether you love the person or not, it's in general irrelevant when talking about it as a "right".

    There's a fundamental right to marriage. Now due to that fundamental right to marriage there are a plethora of Constitutional arguments one can make as to why the current laws on the books regarding marriage are unconstitutional. However, none of those arguments revolve around the inability to marry the "person we love" because there's no requirement no right vested under the law that a person gets to marry the person they love. The law explicitly denies people the ability to marry the person they love in NUMEROUS cases, and not just in the case of Gay Marriage. Reality, ALSO, explicitly denies people the ability to marry the person they love in many cases. Because you have the right to marry, you may be able to be in a position where you're able to marry the person you love. But there is no inherent testable requirement that you love the person nor is there any power under the law to assure that the person you marry is the person you love.

    If one wants to make an argument for the unconstitutional nature of laws regarding marriage...and mind you, I'm one such person...there are many ways to do it. When you try to make the argument with emotional based, illogical, and flat out wrong language and arguments however you hamper your own side by putting forth a weak and easily refutable position while steering the debate into avenues that are irrelevant and entirely opinion, not constitutional, based.

  5. #155
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    So you're going to continue twisting what is said? You know damn well that when the phrase "heterosexuals are allowed to marry the person they love" it is refering to someone of the opposite sex. The ones that heterosexuals normally marry. No heterosexual would ever marry a man for the traditional reasons that people get married. You know this, I know this. To bring up what you did is disengenous and a distortion of what is actually being talked about, and you know it.
    And OP knows he lied with the thread title and the article. Mullet was arrested for trespassing, not for seeking a SSM.

  6. #156
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Again, it doesn't matter if it is for love or money or any other reason, you have that right based on whatever your reason...within reason.
    Correct, there's a fundamental right to marriage.

    That's it. That's the fundamental right. Not the fundamental right to marriage for money, or for love, or any other. The RIGHT doesn't have anything to do what so ever with the impetus for the marriage, simply that of the marriage itself.

  7. #157
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Me? I do not. However I do know people who have married someone they don't love. I've known people to marry someone because of money. I've known people to marry people because of citizenship. I've known people to marry others due to lust and naivety that they wrongfully believed was love. I've known people to be shot down for marriage by the person they love. I've known people to have the person they love die before they could marry them.

    It's not a word game, its dealing with the things YOU'VE stated. You stated there was a right that does not exist, and I'm dealing with that. If you don't want people actually reading your words and talking about your words how about you stop 3 seconds and THINK about what you write. Rather than lecturing someone about being childish perhaps you should actually try and debate based on facts and reality rather than emotion and fantasy.

    Don't want people to take issue with the words you say, don't say stupid words.

    Love, when talking about the legality of marriage which when we're talking about marriage licenses and laws that's what we're talking about, is not inherent in terms of the constitutionality of marriage nor the "rights' that surround it. It's nothing but an emotional plea, worthless save for those who are either too emotionally invested or too lacking in knowledge to put together an actual legitimate argument as to why the laws are wrong.
    You are bringing yourself down to the same level of argument as Jerry. You have both reduced this to some imagined absolutist argument NEVER made by the respective posters and you are both carrying on in an attempt to derail the thread. Now, Jerry can be excused since he does this a lot and apparently you mods don't stop such behavior.....but this is just a REALLY poor example on your part.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #158
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    And OP knows he lied with the thread title and the article. Mullet was arrested for trespassing, not for seeking a SSM.
    The OP didn't lie. The OP followed the laws of the forum which requires him to make the subject of the thread the same thing as the title of the article.

    The more accurate statement would be that the reporter or editor who chose the title of the article engaged in an extreme level of hyperbolic editorializing to misrepresent the reality of the supposed NEWS story by using the title as a means of opining.

  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    We have the right to marry. That's it. Whether you love the person or not, it's in general irrelevant when talking about it as a "right".

    There's a fundamental right to marriage. Now due to that fundamental right to marriage there are a plethora of Constitutional arguments one can make as to why the current laws on the books regarding marriage are unconstitutional. However, none of those arguments revolve around the inability to marry the "person we love" because there's no requirement no right vested under the law that a person gets to marry the person they love. The law explicitly denies people the ability to marry the person they love in NUMEROUS cases, and not just in the case of Gay Marriage. Reality, ALSO, explicitly denies people the ability to marry the person they love in many cases. Because you have the right to marry, you may be able to be in a position where you're able to marry the person you love. But there is no inherent testable requirement that you love the person nor is there any power under the law to assure that the person you marry is the person you love.

    If one wants to make an argument for the unconstitutional nature of laws regarding marriage...and mind you, I'm one such person...there are many ways to do it. When you try to make the argument with emotional based, illogical, and flat out wrong language and arguments however you hamper your own side by putting forth a weak and easily refutable position while steering the debate into avenues that are irrelevant and entirely opinion, not constitutional, based.
    IMO the winning SSM arguments are those based on familial stability and raising children. I bet the vast majority of the 50% divorce rate also loved eachother when they married.

  10. #160
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Correct, there's a fundamental right to marriage.

    That's it. That's the fundamental right. Not the fundamental right to marriage for money, or for love, or any other. The RIGHT doesn't have anything to do what so ever with the impetus for the marriage, simply that of the marriage itself.
    Again, this is just beyond silliness, the laws do not lay out each specific action within a right that is protected, and THAT WAS NOT WHAT KATIE SAID.

    Quit with the semantic argument that completely ignores how rights are viewed, stop the derailing.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •