Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 331

Thread: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

  1. #131
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Thanks for repeating something to beat up on a straw man.

    Unfortunately for you I never stated that Marriage wasn't a fundamental right.

    I stated no one has a "Right to marry the person we love".
    Where do you derive this from? The court has said that for whatever reason a person wishes to marry, it cannot be denied unless the state has an overriding interest, ergo, you DO have the right to marry who you love, it is a protected fundamental right.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    you're being very dishonest.

    clearly, referring to them as lesbians was simply shorthand for "lesbian women".

    you however, seem to want to totally strip them of their humanity & personhood.
    OP stripped Flannel of it's very existence. At least Mullet, who was arrested for trespassing, not for seeking a SSM, lives on.

  3. #133
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by gmeyers1944 View Post
    "Two wrongs do not make a right" is what my mother told me long ago. Murder is wrong even when done to prevent other murders (abortions)
    Depends on the extent of the wrongs. It also depends on what the wrongs are. I do not believe in protesting abortion as I am on the other side of that debate. I do not agree with the killing of a doctor. If wrong headed law is being protested it is not wrong to protest that law. In South Afrika years ago when Gandhi had a community there he set out to protest the law which subjected those from India to social stigma and oppression. He protested the laws with civil disobedience. Later Gandhi set free the nation of India from British rule by the same way. Civil disobedience is a free way to protest wrong. Violence is never the way. The laws in South Afrika were wrong as was British rule in India. The civil disobedience was breaking the laws and thus would be considered wrong. In both cases two wrongs did make right and the laws were changed.
    Just so you know abortion is not murder it is abortion.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  4. #134
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Where do you derive this from? The court has said that for whatever reason a person wishes to marry, it cannot be denied unless the state has an overriding interest, ergo, you DO have the right to marry who you love, it is a protected fundamental right.
    You have the right to Marry.

    You have the right to marry for whatever REASON you may wish to marry someone.

    You do not have the right to "Marry the person we love".

    If you love, romantically love, your sister/brother/cousin of the opposite sex, you can't marry them.

    If you love, romantically love, someone under the age of consent or someone over the age of consent when you're under the age, you can't marry them.

    If you love, romantically love, someone who doesn't agree to marry you you can't get married to them.

    On the flip side, you can absolutely and without question marry someone you DON'T love.

    People have the right to marry. No one has the specific right in any way shape or form to "marry the person we love". They may have the ability that, if the situation is correct, they can end up marrying the person they love. But it is not a RIGHT that is somehow universally extended to straight people.

    Individuals on both sides so often bring up the non-relevant and emotional based argument of "the person you love" into the conversation. It's irrelevant. There's a fundamental right to marriage that's been defined by the courts, however there is no fundamental right to "marry the one we love". The argument is one that needs to cease being made in these kinds of stations because it is not one that in any way is factually based nor a worth while argument as to why same Gay Marriage or Same Sex Marriage should be legalized.

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    OP stripped Flannel of it's very existence. At least Mullet, who was arrested for trespassing, not for seeking a SSM, lives on.
    oh, so you're just playing silly games.

    have fun.

  6. #136
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by gmeyers1944 View Post
    I have always been a big fan of civil rights, particularly where race is involved. But marriage MEANS the union of one man with one woman. Publishing dictionaries with a different definition does NOT change that.
    Blacks always knew they were being treated unfairly by bigoted laws and so do lesbians and gays.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    Just so you know abortion is not murder it is abortion.
    Abortion isn't a gay issue unless said gay couples are practicing adultery.

  8. #138
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Yup, and you have this right also.



    Yes you do. You can marry anyone of the opposite sex who can otherwise marry, that you choose.



    This is about the sexes of the people involved, not their sexual orientations. Who has what sexual orientation is precluded form the discussion the moment gays claimed discrimination based on sex.



    There is no civil rights issue at all.
    I'm done playing your silly word games. You can continue to play them with others who what to do this. You can be a good poster when you debate but when you play childish word nonsense you lack much.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  9. #139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Abortion isn't a gay issue unless said gay couples are practicing adultery.
    so the only way lesbians can get pregnant, is through sex with a man?


  10. #140
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: Lesbian arrested for seeking marriage license in North Carolina

    Here's the truth of Civil Disobedience and Katie's last post really makes it clear...

    Civil Disobedience will be viewed as a "Good" thing primarily by those that agree that what you're protesting is a "bad law" and as a "bad" thing primarily by those that disagree with it.

    Notice how she has no problem with the CD in this case because its a "wrong headed law" but plainly says she doesn't believe in people protesting abortion because she doesn't believe that's a "Wrong headed law".

    That is the danger of CD as a means of pushing an issue...it's going to be applauded by those that think like you and just strengthen and enflame those that disagree with you in MOST cases. It's worth while to do if you believe there is a significant, undecided, "middle" section that could go either way due to your act. However, if both sides are rather well entrenched....it's a somewhat worthless, hollow, and pointless gesture on the grand scale of things.

    Additionally, the MANNER in which you perform the CD and the manner in which the government reacts to your CD can help slip it one way or another. If you look like you're someone whose doing it less to TRULY make a point or to be principled and more as someone whose just trying to get attention, be a nuisance, or make it all about themselves then it may actually hurt you with some leaning on your end. On the flip side, if the response to a bit of CD that's viewed as legitimate is way over the top then you may actually win some away from the other side.

    But by and large, unless there is a large middle segment of undecideds, all CD really does is pump up the side that thinks the law you're protesting is "wrongheaded" and further give fuel to the side that thinks the law you're protesting is "okay".

    It's all a matter of perspective, which Katiegirl showed amazingly well in her above post where she disagrees with CD in cases where she likes the law but supports it in cases where she doesn't.

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •