Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 214

Thread: Arpaio Faces a New Sheriff in Town

  1. #111
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: Arpaio Faces a New Sheriff in Town

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    No it's not. Especially when they're a) not coming here in a group and b) not coming here in any military capacity. It's hard to take seriously the notion that a bunch of unarmed farm workers and would-be maids constitute a military force.

    Here's a cogent discussion of the history of the term invasion as used in the constitution, and as interpreted by its framers:

    The Social Contract - Is It an Invasion? -- Consitution's Invasion Clause Won't Work

    An especially useful quote from the above site (which they took from a relatively recent judicial opinion on the issue):

    "In order for a state to be afforded the protections of the Invasion Clause, it must be exposed to armed hostility from another political entity, such as another state or foreign country that is intending to overthrow the state's government."); New Jersey v. United States, 91 F.3d 463, (3d Cir. 1996)
    That would be the Country of Mexico that openly makes it policy to use the US as a population pressure valve, or toilet for undesirables.

  2. #112
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: Arpaio Faces a New Sheriff in Town

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    Should an invasion ever occur, I'll keep that in mind.
    Should an invasion ever occur you'd take the invader's side.

  3. #113
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: Arpaio Faces a New Sheriff in Town

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Arpaio's justification is "profiling helps us find people who MIGHT have broken the law (because they are brown", that last bit said sotto voce

    FBI profiling is used to narrow a search for a criminal offender - little bit different
    The only difference is in your mind.

  4. #114
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: Arpaio Faces a New Sheriff in Town

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    400+ cases of sex crimes that were not investigated is "nothing compared to a (non-existent) invasion"? For some reason, I think the failure of a government agency (MCSO) to investigate crimes against a minority group just might cause members of the afflicted minority to lose faith in the government that is supposed to be protecting them.
    We know how you lefties are, no-one can ever trust your numbers and manipulations against the majority.

  5. #115
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Arpaio Faces a New Sheriff in Town

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
    That would be the Country of Mexico that openly makes it policy to use the US as a population pressure valve, or toilet for undesirables.
    That's just sad. You're not even trying at this point. You attempted to make a constitutional argument. I've thoroughly disproved that argument, and now you won't even try to defend your own position. Sad.

  6. #116
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Arpaio Faces a New Sheriff in Town

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
    Should an invasion ever occur you'd take the invader's side.
    Not likely. But by all means, keep telling yourself that. It's probably a good way to avoid addressing the fact that you don't know anything about how the constitution works with respect to immigration, the fourth amendment, the fourteenth amendment, or the invasion clause.

  7. #117
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: Arpaio Faces a New Sheriff in Town

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    Not likely. But by all means, keep telling yourself that. It's probably a good way to avoid addressing the fact that you don't know anything about how the constitution works with respect to immigration, the fourth amendment, the fourteenth amendment, or the invasion clause.
    This Constitution?

    "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

    racial profiling is very reasonable.

    This Constitution?

    "1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof..."

  8. #118
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,505

    Re: Arpaio Faces a New Sheriff in Town

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    I know a lot of people in AZ, and they all like him. So what is your point? If the majority of voters in Maricopa county (who vote), select a new sheriff, that is the right of the voters. Arpaio is slipping in polls, yet the last I say 39% of Maricopa residence say he is doing a good-excellent job.

    There are those who dislike Mary Rose Wilcox (country supervisor). She keeps getting elected. That is the right of those that vote in the district she represents. Maybe she should be removed because a minority of people in her district don't like her.
    A lot of times, running for sheriff doesn't involve a real political campaign or a real challenger. The fact that he is sheriff doesn't mean anybody likes him. It more than likely means he has never had a sufficient challenger, and that's how the sheriff's office works. Usually the officers and deputies wait their turn to run for sheriff, and not challenge the sheriff out of respect, to avoid professional conflict, or to avoid being a target of negativity and hostility at work.

  9. #119
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,305

    Re: Arpaio Faces a New Sheriff in Town

    Since when does Sheriff Arpaio come under federal jurisdiction? If I was Governor Brewer I'd have my attorney general write a letter back telling Obama, that he's out of his lane.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #120
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Arpaio Faces a New Sheriff in Town

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
    This Constitution?

    "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

    racial profiling is very reasonable.
    Not so much. Two of the bigger cases in Arizona in the last 20 years tend to confirm that:

    "The first case, in 1997, involved a joint operation between Chandler police and U.S. Border Patrol agents that arrested 432 undocumented immigrants but also swept up hundreds of legal immigrants and U.S. citizens of Hispanic descent. Chandler paid $400,000 to settle a $35 million civil-rights lawsuit. Federal investigators concluded that Border Patrol agents had not documented basic information about the people they detained, and that they had conducted the sweep in poorer parts of the city.

    In 2001, 11 motorists sued the state Department of Public Safety, accusing officers in northern Arizona of targeting minority drivers for traffic stops and searches.

    The Republic writes: "The suit was dismissed, appealed and ultimately settled, with the stipulation that DPS launch a data-collection campaign that included information on every stop officers made, including the reason for the stop, characteristics of the driver and vehicle, and the stop's date, time and location. The agency later agreed to give the information to an outside team to evaluate.""

    In Arizona, 2 big racial-profiling cases changed policing

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
    This Constitution?

    "1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof..."
    I'm not sure what you think this proves. If you're trying to argue that people in the US illegally aren't afforded Bill of Rights protections, you're wrong, and pretty much every case ever on this issue will demonstrate as much.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •