Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132
Results 311 to 315 of 315

Thread: Cut Ten Commandments down to 6?

  1. #311
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 AM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,839

    Re: Cut Ten Commandments down to 6?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    If the school in question does not deny the addition of competing religious material then what is the harm? If they allow a judeo/christian document yet refused to post an islamic document then that may pose a real constitutional issue, but to expect the complete absense of any and all 'religious' material in public places is absurd, much like many communist societies that disallow any and all religions. What if a teacher or other school official wore a religious symbol on a piece of jewelry, or dressed in a manner depicting their religion, would that 'establish' a state religion? I think not, it is simply allowing that official and any other gov't official to freely exercise their religion.

    Unfortunately for the 'reasonable' folks, the fundies will open their mouths and tell the world exactly why they want the commandments posted - and it ain't any reference to "history" or "the origin of laws" - they want the poster because they want to advertise and promote their religious beliefs.

    Several times you have used the phrase "public place(s)", what do you think is a "public place"? Religious fanatics are allowed to put up signs, displays, monuments, whatever in places that may be seen by the public BUT that does not mean they can use public property for those displays.

    The religious symbol worn by a public official would normally be acceptable however there are instances where religious symbols have acquired other meanings: Rosaries being worn as gang symbols at high schools , now what do you do?
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  2. #312
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,324

    Re: Cut Ten Commandments down to 6?

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Unfortunately for the 'reasonable' folks, the fundies will open their mouths and tell the world exactly why they want the commandments posted - and it ain't any reference to "history" or "the origin of laws" - they want the poster because they want to advertise and promote their religious beliefs.
    Could you lay out for us exactly what you mean, or define the terms:

    1. "Reasonable people"

    and

    2. "Fundies"


    Thanks.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #313
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 AM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,839

    Re: Cut Ten Commandments down to 6?

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Could you lay out for us exactly what you mean, or define the terms:

    1. "Reasonable people"

    and

    2. "Fundies"


    Thanks.

    j-mac


    In the context of this thread, I think most would understand that I am calling those who support the posting of the Ten Commandments in schools in conjunction with other historical and legal documents, the 'reasonable' ones. Of course I think they are still promoting a specific religion but at least they are making an attempt to comply with the law as it now stands regarding religious displays in publicly-owned buildings.

    The "fundies" are those fundamentalist, evangelical xians who claim persecution when store clerks say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Xmas, the fundies are those xians who state quite plainly that they think only elements of their specific religion should be posted in government buildings, the fundies are those xians who rant on and on about America being a "Christian nation", founded on Christian principles and with all laws based on the Ten Commandments despite what rational folks know from history.

    good enuff answer, for ya?
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  4. #314
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,324

    Re: Cut Ten Commandments down to 6?

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    In the context of this thread, I think most would understand that I am calling those who support the posting of the Ten Commandments in schools in conjunction with other historical and legal documents, the 'reasonable' ones. Of course I think they are still promoting a specific religion but at least they are making an attempt to comply with the law as it now stands regarding religious displays in publicly-owned buildings.

    The "fundies" are those fundamentalist, evangelical xians who claim persecution when store clerks say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Xmas, the fundies are those xians who state quite plainly that they think only elements of their specific religion should be posted in government buildings, the fundies are those xians who rant on and on about America being a "Christian nation", founded on Christian principles and with all laws based on the Ten Commandments despite what rational folks know from history.

    good enuff answer, for ya?

    Yep, sounds like you have developed apt labels for those who may disagree with your views.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #315
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 AM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,839

    Re: Cut Ten Commandments down to 6?

    An update on the Giles County Ten Commandments poster

    Giles school board votes to remove Ten Commandments display from Narrows High

    The Giles County School Board voted today to remove a copy of the Ten Commandments that has hung on a wall of Narrows High School during a year and a half of controversy and litigation.

    The board voted unanimously to replace the commandments with a copy of a page from a history textbook that mentions the Ten Commandments in conjunction with American government and morality. The commandments themselves do not appear on the page; they are represented by a drawing of two tablets.

    The move could prove controversial among Giles County residents
    local comments
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •