Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 315

Thread: Cut Ten Commandments down to 6?

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Cut Ten Commandments down to 6?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    How odd then that Christianity or God is not mentioned in the Constitution anywhere.
    Why do you think that odd?

    In fact the only time religion is mentioned is to instruct government from establishing a religion. Now what do you suppose the forefathers intended with that short little clause? Surely you don't believe it was to establish Christianity as a state religion with all the bells, symbols and whistles, do you?
    I have no idea what you're driving at here. I feel the reason they instructed government to not establish a religion is because they didn't want the government to establish a religion. If you can come up with another reason, let's hear it.

  2. #152
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Cut Ten Commandments down to 6?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    The problem with Christians is that if you give them an inch they take a mile. First it's just an innocent little poster, then they start preaching in the hallways and calling the children sinners, then they start demanding schools teach creationism, then they rewrite the history books, then the next thing you know our tax dollars are supporting a religion. No, I think it's better to nip them in the bud so to speak and not allow them to get a foothold in the door in the first place.
    And you think Christianity doesn't already have a foothold in the United States?

    Okay.

  3. #153
    Sage
    RDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Last Seen
    10-10-17 @ 05:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: Cut Ten Commandments down to 6?

    Just "thou shalt not steal" will do.

  4. #154
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,462

    Re: Cut Ten Commandments down to 6?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Why do you think that odd?
    Because according to you this country was founded on Christianity and had a great influence in writing the Constitution and yet there is no mention of it whatsoever. Don't you think thats odd?

    I have no idea what you're driving at here. I feel the reason they instructed government to not establish a religion is because they didn't want the government to establish a religion. If you can come up with another reason, let's hear it.
    My point was and still is that this country was not founded on Christianity. The fact that there is no mention of it in the constution except to provide a wall of separation more than validates this fact, but if you want more proof........

    Article 11: As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion,-as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen,-and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.....

    Avalon Project - The Barbary Treaties 1786-1816 - Treaty of Peace and Friendship, Signed at Tripoli November 4, 1796
    Signed into law by co-author of the Declaration of Indepence and founding father, President John Adams.
    Last edited by Moot; 05-13-12 at 03:46 AM.

  5. #155
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,462

    Re: Cut Ten Commandments down to 6?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    And you think Christianity doesn't already have a foothold in the United States?

    Okay.
    Hmm, do I think that or do you think I think that? I think this country had many influences and Christianity is but one of many. Yes, it probably does currently have a foothold in some areas of the country, but history shows that foothold waxes and wanes with the times.
    Last edited by Moot; 05-13-12 at 03:56 AM.

  6. #156
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Cut Ten Commandments down to 6?

    Originally Posted by Somerville
    But not in the eyes of society until the 20th Century.
    Originally Posted by Grant
    That's clearly untrue, as pointed out in the examples which were listed.earlier on this thread.
    Somerville
    and then there was that whole ordinance about how servants were to behave - don't sound like equality to me
    Colossians 3:22
    That is not a quote of Jesus.
    Which means you believe that something in the Bible that is not "a quote of Jesus" has little to no relevance regarding the way in which xians are to live today?
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  7. #157
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Cut Ten Commandments down to 6?

    Quote Originally Posted by beerftw View Post
    individuals have the right so long as it is not part of the education as per the first amendment.

    if the school or government itself does it or a teacher tries to implement it,that would be a violation of the first amendment.
    I agree with this comment
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  8. #158
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Cut Ten Commandments down to 6?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    The problem with Christians is that if you give them an inch they take a mile. First it's just an innocent little poster, then they start preaching in the hallways and calling the children sinners, then they start demanding schools teach creationism, then they rewrite the history books, then the next thing you know our tax dollars are supporting a religion. No, I think it's better to nip them in the bud so to speak and not allow them to get a foothold in the door in the first place.
    I agree with this comment
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  9. #159
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Cut Ten Commandments down to 6?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Where do you suppose that enlightenment came from?

    This is the sort of thing that happens when children are not taught their heritage in schools.
    I know where it came from. It came from Greek and Roman philosophy that was rediscovered during the Crusades, as the Byzantines and Muslims had preserved that history while feudalism destroyed it during the Dark Ages.

    It's one thing to be arrogant. It's another to thing to be arrogant when you are wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  10. #160
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Cut Ten Commandments down to 6?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Why does the sight of the 10 Commandments annoy you? I'm not religious but they don;t annoy me anymore than a Christmas tree does.

    Perhaps you. like many others. need some anti-sensitivity training. Their is far too much annoyances occurring over rather petty little things.
    I'm not annoyed with the Ten Commandments. I'm annoyed that taxpayer dollars are used to promote religion. I don't want my money to go to preaching. I want it to go to killing mujahideen
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •