Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Viewing child pornography not a crime according to New York court ruling

  1. #1
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Viewing child pornography not a crime according to New York court ruling

    Viewing child pornography not a crime according to New York court ruling

    Viewing child pornography online not a crime: New York court ruling | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News
    I bet this will change pretty quick...

    Quote from article:
    "The court said it must be up to the legislature, not the courts, to determine what the appropriate response should be to those viewing images of child pornography without actually storing them. Currently, New York's legislature has no laws deeming such action criminal."
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #2
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: Viewing child pornography not a crime according to New York court ruling

    I guess I can see why it turned out this way. Temporary caching is done automatically by the browser, so the viewer is not really purposefully maintaining possession of the files.

    I'm glad the ruling went this way, because I wouldn't like the precedent that merely viewing a website makes you liable for "possessing" its content. We've all been Goatse'd/Lemonparty'd/Rickroll'd/etc.

    I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the legislature pass a law on this quickly, although I think that starts to get into a shady area. Child pornography is a terrible thing and I'd love to see every sick bastard who creates it in prison, but the idea that one could go to jail just for looking at a website or looking at an image is a line I'm uneasy about crossing.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Viewing child pornography not a crime according to New York court ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I bet this will change pretty quick...
    I don't know, kinda sounds like it was an appropriate ruling.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #4
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Viewing child pornography not a crime according to New York court ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I guess I can see why it turned out this way. Temporary caching is done automatically by the browser, so the viewer is not really purposefully maintaining possession of the files.

    I'm glad the ruling went this way, because I wouldn't like the precedent that merely viewing a website makes you liable for "possessing" its content. We've all been Goatse'd/Lemonparty'd/Rickroll'd/etc.

    I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the legislature pass a law on this quickly, although I think that starts to get into a shady area. Child pornography is a terrible thing and I'd love to see every sick bastard who creates it in prison, but the idea that one could go to jail just for looking at a website or looking at an image is a line I'm uneasy about crossing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I don't know, kinda sounds like it was an appropriate ruling.
    Thinking logically, not emotionally, I agree. But... if there ever was/is an emotional issue, it is child pornography, and the emotion will cause this "loophole" to be closed and quick.

    I don't know how the New York Legislature works, but if they're not in session right now, I bet a bill gets introduced with 30 days of the next session starting. And 30 days is on the long end.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Viewing child pornography not a crime according to New York court ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Thinking logically, not emotionally, I agree. But... if there ever was/is an emotional issue, it is child pornography, and the emotion will cause this "loophole" to be closed and quick.

    I don't know how the New York Legislature works, but if they're not in session right now, I bet a bill gets introduced with 30 days of the next session starting. And 30 days is on the long end.
    Drunk driving, child pornography, child molestation, etc. are all examples of issues made into almost entirely emotional arguments in order to stop thinking and encourage excessive punishment.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #6
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Viewing child pornography not a crime according to New York court ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I guess I can see why it turned out this way. Temporary caching is done automatically by the browser, so the viewer is not really purposefully maintaining possession of the files.

    I'm glad the ruling went this way, because I wouldn't like the precedent that merely viewing a website makes you liable for "possessing" its content. We've all been Goatse'd/Lemonparty'd/Rickroll'd/etc.

    I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the legislature pass a law on this quickly, although I think that starts to get into a shady area. Child pornography is a terrible thing and I'd love to see every sick bastard who creates it in prison, but the idea that one could go to jail just for looking at a website or looking at an image is a line I'm uneasy about crossing.
    Do you think it's only creating it that should be a crime? How about possessing it or selling it.

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Viewing child pornography not a crime according to New York court ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I guess I can see why it turned out this way. Temporary caching is done automatically by the browser, so the viewer is not really purposefully maintaining possession of the files.

    I'm glad the ruling went this way, because I wouldn't like the precedent that merely viewing a website makes you liable for "possessing" its content. We've all been Goatse'd/Lemonparty'd/Rickroll'd/etc.

    I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the legislature pass a law on this quickly, although I think that starts to get into a shady area. Child pornography is a terrible thing and I'd love to see every sick bastard who creates it in prison, but the idea that one could go to jail just for looking at a website or looking at an image is a line I'm uneasy about crossing.
    This is what makes me support the ruling. There's so much crap all over the internet that innocent people are likely to click on rogue links once in a while and they should not be prosecuted. The same is true for downloading, but I think that's a much less likely scenario so I'm find with actual downloads being illegal. Beyond that, only creating and distributing child porn should be illegal.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Viewing child pornography not a crime according to New York court ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Drunk driving, child pornography, child molestation, etc. are all examples of issues made into almost entirely emotional arguments in order to stop thinking and encourage excessive punishment.
    you think child molesters receive excessive punishments?
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  9. #9
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,166

    Re: Viewing child pornography not a crime according to New York court ruling

    Beyond that, only creating and distributing child porn should be illegal.
    I agree on everything you've said but I think ownership should be illegal as well. Not viewing...but if you have 20 folders of child pornography I think it's obvious you didn't accidently click a link.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  10. #10
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Viewing child pornography not a crime according to New York court ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    This is what makes me support the ruling. There's so much crap all over the internet that innocent people are likely to click on rogue links once in a while and they should not be prosecuted. The same is true for downloading, but I think that's a much less likely scenario so I'm find with actual downloads being illegal. Beyond that, only creating and distributing child porn should be illegal.
    There have been cases where people have had their computers remotely hi-jacked and used as servers for illegal activity... and they never knew about it until they were charged with the crimes.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •