Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 125

Thread: North Carolina voters approve same-sex marriage ban

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: North Carolina voters approve same-sex marriage ban

    Most Christians I know of are "Burger King" Christians. They pick and choose and want to have Christianity their way.

  2. #112
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: North Carolina voters approve same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Most Christians I know of are "Burger King" Christians. They pick and choose and want to have Christianity their way.
    That is probably the right way to do it. Believing in God does not mean letting a religion run your life and dictate everything you do. Or at least it shouldn't.
    Last edited by Kreton; 05-10-12 at 10:33 AM.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: North Carolina voters approve same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    That is probably the right way to do it. Believing in God does not mean letting a religion run your life and dictate everything you do. Or at least it shouldn't.
    To a point I agree, but it's funny how many Christians will say homosexuality is a sin and then cite Leviticus to support it while ignoring the rest.

  4. #114
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: North Carolina voters approve same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    To a point I agree, but it's funny how many Christians will say homosexuality is a sin and then cite Leviticus to support it while ignoring the rest.
    I am still waiting on someone to explain to me any GOOD reason why they should not be allowed. With the separation of church of state Leviticus should not be considered.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: North Carolina voters approve same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    I am still waiting on someone to explain to me any GOOD reason why they should not be allowed. With the separation of church of state Leviticus should not be considered.
    These are the excuses I've seen used:

    #1 It will destroy the sanctity of marriage if gay marriage is legalized.
    We live in a world where the divorce rate is extrememly high. I've seen 50% in some cases, but even if it's low like 40% that is still high. We've seen celebrities get married and divorced constantly, we have seen marriages that are unhealthy. And non of it has to do with gay marriage.

    #2 My religion is against it.
    Fine, don't marry someone of the same sex. The simple fact is there are many LEGAL things in the U.S. that go against Christian values. That is no reason to vote against something just because of your religion. The fact something is legal does not mean it's morally right.

    #3 It will lead to beastiality and pedophiles can marry children.
    This one is beyond stupid and shouldn't even need to be debated. If someone can't see the difference between f*****g an animal or child and a legal consenting adult, there's no hope to get them to understand.

    #4 Marriage is between a man and a woman
    Marriage used to be defined differently to 1 man 1 woman of the same race, same noblity, etc. Marriage can easily be changed to between two people.

    #5 Gay marriage will lead to polygamy.
    I don't think it will, but even if it did. I have no problem with polygamy. The main issue with polygamy would be administrative more than anything. Forms, what to do when someone dies, divorce, etc.

    Anyway, those are the main ones I've heard and all of them do not justify keeping gay marriage illegal.

  6. #116
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: North Carolina voters approve same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    These are the excuses I've seen used:

    #1 It will destroy the sanctity of marriage if gay marriage is legalized.
    We live in a world where the divorce rate is extrememly high. I've seen 50% in some cases, but even if it's low like 40% that is still high. We've seen celebrities get married and divorced constantly, we have seen marriages that are unhealthy. And non of it has to do with gay marriage.

    #2 My religion is against it.
    Fine, don't marry someone of the same sex. The simple fact is there are many LEGAL things in the U.S. that go against Christian values. That is no reason to vote against something just because of your religion. The fact something is legal does not mean it's morally right.

    #3 It will lead to beastiality and pedophiles can marry children.
    This one is beyond stupid and shouldn't even need to be debated. If someone can't see the difference between f*****g an animal or child and a legal consenting adult, there's no hope to get them to understand.

    #4 Marriage is between a man and a woman
    Marriage used to be defined differently to 1 man 1 woman of the same race, same noblity, etc. Marriage can easily be changed to between two people.

    #5 Gay marriage will lead to polygamy.
    I don't think it will, but even if it did. I have no problem with polygamy. The main issue with polygamy would be administrative more than anything. Forms, what to do when someone dies, divorce, etc.

    Anyway, those are the main ones I've heard and all of them do not justify keeping gay marriage illegal.
    I wouldn't call it excuses, I would call it reasons. However, none of the reasons are logical and are all emotion based. It was an emotional response to enact the law, not a logical one.

    I am pretty sure the law is not going to stand up in court anyways. It was the part where they made civil unions unconstitutional. I believe that will cause some problems for them in the future.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  7. #117
    Professor cmakaioz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Last Seen
    01-22-13 @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,582

    Re: North Carolina voters approve same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    These are the excuses I've seen used:

    #2 My religion is against it.
    Fine, don't marry someone of the same sex. The simple fact is there are many LEGAL things in the U.S. that go against Christian values. That is no reason to vote against something just because of your religion. The fact something is legal does not mean it's morally right.
    To this I would add that theocracy --direct or indirect rule by religious doctrine -- is profoundly dangerous generally. A basic point that many people here who base their electoral participation upon religion don't quite seem to understand -- of if they do, they don't seem to care about -- is that voting based upon religious doctrine is theocracy. It's legal theocracy, as U.S. law makes no attempt to assess or base restrictions upon the basis of an individual's vote (beyond barring overt vote-purchasing), but it's still theocracy. As with any dominant population on a given axis, the threat of being on the other side of such a political imbalance (i.e. being on the side where other's doctrines are actually imposed upon you) either doesn't occur to them (due to being so accustomed to getting their way on many fronts) or (even more absurd) falsely projected upon the very people who are victims of theocracy (for example, hard religious rightists claiming persecution at the hands of gays and lesbians and their allies). Examples of the latter may be found easily right here on DP in many of the SSM threads.
    I've moved on to a better forum (scienceforums.net). Facts matter, and I don't have the time or energy for putting up with the pretense that they don't. PM me if you'd like me to get in touch with you when I'm done developing my own forum system, likely towards the end of 2013.

  8. #118
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: North Carolina voters approve same-sex marriage ban

    #1 It will destroy the sanctity of marriage if gay marriage is legalized.
    We live in a world where the divorce rate is extrememly high. I've seen 50% in some cases, but even if it's low like 40% that is still high. We've seen celebrities get married and divorced constantly, we have seen marriages that are unhealthy. And non of it has to do with gay marriage.
    I agree with you that it isn't like marriage is some sacred bond. It should be, but it isn't. Now to an individual their marriage may be sacred. It might be the most important thing in the world to them. Two other people being married would not effect that. It has no bearing on your marriage, values or any aspect of your life. The only people a gay marriage would effect is the two people being married. If people were really concerned about the sanctity of marriage they would be fighting to get people to honor their vows, not fighting to keep people from taking them. For all we know gay couples would honor those vows better than straight couple do. They cant be any worse.

    #2 My religion is against it.
    Fine, don't marry someone of the same sex. The simple fact is there are many LEGAL things in the U.S. that go against Christian values. That is no reason to vote against something just because of your religion. The fact something is legal does not mean it's morally right.
    Until my religion can start dictating and changing their rights and they agree to live by all of the rules of my religion then I would never accept this as a valid reason. There is a reason we have separation of church and state. Religion should be factored into 0 laws.
    #3 It will lead to beastiality and pedophiles can marry children.
    This one is beyond stupid and shouldn't even need to be debated. If someone can't see the difference between f*****g an animal or child and a legal consenting adult, there's no hope to get them to understand.
    Yea I don't get it either.

    #4 Marriage is between a man and a woman
    Marriage used to be defined differently to 1 man 1 woman of the same race, same noblity, etc. Marriage can easily be changed to between two people.
    I am not sure who dictated that marriage was between man and a woman. For that matter who dictated that it could not be changed?
    #5 Gay marriage will lead to polygamy.
    I don't think it will, but even if it did. I have no problem with polygamy. The main issue with polygamy would be administrative more than anything. Forms, what to do when someone dies, divorce, etc.
    gay marriage =/= polygamy. You cannot say one leads to the other.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  9. #119
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,544

    Re: North Carolina voters approve same-sex marriage ban



    This is pretty darn good.

  10. #120
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: North Carolina voters approve same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post


    This is pretty darn good.
    That it explains it lol
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •