Page 66 of 75 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast
Results 651 to 660 of 742

Thread: Elizabeth Warren’s embattled campaign: Cherokee tie found 5 generations ago

  1. #651
    Professor
    wbcoleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    06-07-16 @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,833

    Re: Elizabeth Warren’s embattled campaign: Cherokee tie found 5 generations ago

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Correction: this thread is about an incredibly weak, irrelevant, ad hominem attack on Elizabeth Warren.

    Apparently she was told growing up that she had Cherokee ancestry. She never used it to gain advantage, but apparently mentioned it on occasion. OH - MY - GOD!! Clearly that outweighs her massive academic and public policy resume.
    Yeah, that's how her name wound up listed as a minority in the Association of American Law Schools' annual directory of minority law teachers from 1986 to 1995, hahahahaha........
    Zionism is the National Liberation Movement of the Jewish People.

  2. #652
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Elizabeth Warren’s embattled campaign: Cherokee tie found 5 generations ago

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Correction: this thread is about an incredibly weak, irrelevant, ad hominem attack on Elizabeth Warren.
    Now I see your problem. You have trouble discerning between FACT and OPINION. What you wrote above is called and OPINION. It appears YOU feel that one shouldn't question anyone's credibility on what they say. It may be fine with you for leaders and representative to mislead AND be unable to conceed error but possibly not others.


    Apparently she was told growing up that she had Cherokee ancestry. She never used it to gain advantage, but apparently mentioned it on occasion. OH - MY - GOD!! Clearly that outweighs her massive academic and public policy resume.
    See this again is OPINION and not FACT. Unless of course you can provide some evidence that DEFINATELY (which means no he said/she said) proves your assertions...good luck with that.

  3. #653
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Elizabeth Warren’s embattled campaign: Cherokee tie found 5 generations ago

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    Now I see your problem. You have trouble discerning between FACT and OPINION. What you wrote above is called and OPINION. It appears YOU feel that one shouldn't question anyone's credibility on what they say. It may be fine with you for leaders and representative to mislead AND be unable to conceed error but possibly not others.




    See this again is OPINION and not FACT. Unless of course you can provide some evidence that DEFINATELY (which means no he said/she said) proves your assertions...good luck with that.
    Actually it is a fact. And of course it is incumbent on the party making the accusation about Warren to prove the accusation. In contrast, it is not incumbent on the party defending Warren to prove a negative. So put up or shut up. Let's see where Warren used a claim of Cherokee heritage to gain some advantage. This will be the third time I've asked for this in the last two days and I have yet to get a response.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  4. #654
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Elizabeth Warren’s embattled campaign: Cherokee tie found 5 generations ago

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Actually it is a fact. And of course it is incumbent on the party making the accusation about Warren to prove the accusation. In contrast, it is not incumbent on the party defending Warren to prove a negative. So put up or shut up. Let's see where Warren used a claim of Cherokee heritage to gain some advantage. This will be the third time I've asked for this in the last two days and I have yet to get a response.
    There you go again...what accusation was made about Warren that would require her defending party to prove a negative? They accused her of NOT being a Cherokee as SHE said she was. It would be HER challenge to PROVE SHE IS, which is not a negative unless of course she is not then your supposition has validity. Is YOUR 'put up or shut up' challenge for me to show where SHE said SHE is a Cherokee? I took it from your positions that we had stipulated that but you're free to go back to the OP and read the MANY posts that include links to said assertion.

    As to the 'Warren used a claim of Cherokee heritage to gain some advantage' first point out where I made such an assertion. This is where proving a negative COULD be relevent. My interest in this topic is not great enough to motivate me to perform the research required to substantiate this possibility. And even if found I would predict that your response would be 'xxyy is not a valid source' or 'an opinion of a former employer/associate is not a definitive fact'. NOW you could REALLY gain some credibility if you were to find such evidence of one who asserted she had/has not...

    ps. NO actually it is not a fact...I stated the FACTS clearly which you did not refute.
    Last edited by Dickieboy; 06-19-12 at 01:07 AM.

  5. #655
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Elizabeth Warren’s embattled campaign: Cherokee tie found 5 generations ago

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    There you go again...what accusation was made about Warren that would require her defending party to prove a negative? They accused her of NOT being a Cherokee as SHE said she was. It would be HER challenge to PROVE SHE IS, which is not a negative unless of course she is not then your supposition has validity. Is YOUR 'put up or shut up' challenge for me to show where SHE said SHE is a Cherokee? I took it from your positions that we had stipulated that but you're free to go back to the OP and read the MANY posts that include links to said assertion.

    As to the 'Warren used a claim of Cherokee heritage to gain some advantage' first point out where I made such an assertion. This is where proving a negative COULD be relevent. My interest in this topic is not great enough to motivate me to perform the research required to substantiate this possibility. And even if found I would predict that your response would be 'xxyy is not a valid source' or 'an opinion of a former employer/associate is not a definitive fact'. NOW you could REALLY gain some credibility if you were to find such evidence of one who asserted she had/has not...

    ps. NO actually it is not a fact...I stated the FACTS clearly which you did not refute.
    Sorry, but Warren is obviously not making this a campaign issue -- the Republicans are. She says that she was told as a child that her family was part Cherokee. Who gives **** if it's true or not? As far as i know she was told that and she had no reason to doubt it.

    So unless there IS some evidence that she made this claim in bad faith AND used it to gain some advantage, it is the mother of all non-issues and, as I suggested, nothing but a pathetic political dirty trick. So now it's three times that I've asked for such proof, and three times that there has been no proof forthcoming.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  6. #656
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Elizabeth Warren’s embattled campaign: Cherokee tie found 5 generations ago

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Sorry, but Warren is obviously not making this a campaign issue -- the Republicans are. She says that she was told as a child that her family was part Cherokee. Who gives **** if it's true or not? As far as i know she was told that and she had no reason to doubt it.

    So unless there IS some evidence that she made this claim in bad faith AND used it to gain some advantage, it is the mother of all non-issues and, as I suggested, nothing but a pathetic political dirty trick. So now it's three times that I've asked for such proof, and three times that there has been no proof forthcoming.
    Bull****. She was "told", at best, that she was 1/16th to 1/32nd Cherokee. She then, as an adult, chose to change her racial status to "American Indian/Native American", which classified her as a "minority". Knowing full well that she now occupied a slot in filling the need for faculties to have "minority" members, thereby increasing her value without increasing her abilities.

    And she has since lied in her explanations.

    It ain't going away until she goes away.
    Last edited by Eighty Deuce; 06-19-12 at 10:34 AM.

  7. #657
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Elizabeth Warren’s embattled campaign: Cherokee tie found 5 generations ago

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Sorry, but Warren is obviously not making this a campaign issue -- the Republicans are.
    Of course not, obviously, how many guilt folks run around proclaiming their guilt? Really dude, that’s your argument?

    She says that she was told as a child that her family was part Cherokee. Who gives **** if it's true or not? As far as i know she was told that and she had no reason to doubt it.
    It is (and has been) obvious that YOU do not give a ****. Why do you ostracize those who do? It apparently is not a partisan issue for some:
    Cherokee, Warren showdown - BostonHerald.com

    So unless there IS some evidence that she made this claim in bad faith…
    So your position now is that it is a ‘white lie’ and is acceptable thusly?

    So now it's three times that I've asked for such proof, and three times that there has been no proof forthcoming.
    Again, this is not my proof to yield as I have not proclaimed she gained advantage from it. Please refer to #654 where I discussed this being a 'proving a negative' challenge.

  8. #658
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Elizabeth Warren’s embattled campaign: Cherokee tie found 5 generations ago

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    Of course not, obviously, how many guilt folks run around proclaiming their guilt? Really dude, that’s your argument?
    Got it -- we should just assume everyone is guilty until proven innocent. Dude....

    So your position now is that it is a ‘white lie’ and is acceptable thusly?
    My position is that it wasn't a lie at all because she thought it was true. I don't know about you, but personally I haven't fact checked everything my parents told me about my family history.

    Again, this is not my proof to yield as I have not proclaimed she gained advantage from it. Please refer to #654 where I discussed this being a 'proving a negative' challenge.
    Apparently the proof doesn't exist, so don't feel bad.
    Last edited by AdamT; 06-19-12 at 11:29 AM.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  9. #659
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Elizabeth Warren’s embattled campaign: Cherokee tie found 5 generations ago

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Got it -- we should just assume everyone is guilty until proven innocent. Dude....
    There you go again...did you read the link?

    Barnes said there is still no evidence, despite research conducted by her and other genealogists, to support Warren’s claim of Cherokee roots

    No, I firmly believe that one is innocent until proven guilty but it appears there are some who can PROVE she is guilty. It is Warren's challenge NOW to prove her innocence. Or is your position 'I am innocent because I say so' and that should suffice?

  10. #660
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Elizabeth Warren’s embattled campaign: Cherokee tie found 5 generations ago

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    There you go again...did you read the link?

    Barnes said there is still no evidence, despite research conducted by her and other genealogists, to support Warren’s claim of Cherokee roots

    No, I firmly believe that one is innocent until proven guilty but it appears there are some who can PROVE she is guilty. It is Warren's challenge NOW to prove her innocence. Or is your position 'I am innocent because I say so' and that should suffice?
    Yes, and there's another geneologist who has said there's evidence that Warren is 1/32d Cherokee, which, coincidentally, is the same percentage of Cherokee blood that the chief of the Cherokee Nation has. Granted, the evidence isn't very good. But IMO it's a moot point. The only thing that matters in this context is whether or not Warren BELIEVED she was telling the truth, and there is no indication that she didn't. And again, there is no indication that she ever used the claim to gain an unfair advantage. So it is much ado about nothing.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

Page 66 of 75 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •