Page 28 of 75 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 742

Thread: Elizabeth Warren’s embattled campaign: Cherokee tie found 5 generations ago

  1. #271
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Elizabeth Warren’s embattled campaign: Cherokee tie found 5 generations ago

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Translation: As long as my source says what I want it to it's a great source, until it says it's not a great source and destroys my argument entirely, then I will commit logical fallacies for and against it and other debators as well. Me want my way damnit.
    You should try Google Translate. It's a lot more accurate than the silly source you're using.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  2. #272
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Elizabeth Warren’s embattled campaign: Cherokee tie found 5 generations ago

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    You should try Google Translate. It's a lot more accurate than the silly source you're using.
    Nope, I think the translation is spot on. So, which logical fallacy do you want me to address first?
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #273
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Elizabeth Warren’s embattled campaign: Cherokee tie found 5 generations ago

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Nope, I think the translation is spot on. So, which logical fallacy do you want me to address first?
    Just start wherever you like -- this should be a riot.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  4. #274
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Elizabeth Warren’s embattled campaign: Cherokee tie found 5 generations ago

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Just start wherever you like -- this should be a riot.
    Fine. You committed an "appeal to authority" fallacy by bringing out a tertiary source, I'm going to assume because it was readily available but it becomes suspect because it conveniently states what you want to make your case. Your own source points out that it's a starting point......a tertiary source if you will and then you refuse to accept that and engaged in a double "attack the messenger" logical fallacy against those disputing your source (with itself) and the source itself by trying to wriggle out of the inconvenient fact that the initial source is in fact suspect and not acceptable as a primary source. I get it, you can't argue against the counter that your source is unacceptabe, that fact is blatantly obvious within your own source.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #275
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Elizabeth Warren’s embattled campaign: Cherokee tie found 5 generations ago

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Fine. You committed an "appeal to authority" fallacy by bringing out a tertiary source....
    Let's just deal with that idiocy on its own. First, you don't understant what "appeal to authority" means, notwithstanding the fact that I've explained it to you several times. You seem to think that any appeal to authority is a logical fallacy, which is just immeasurably stupid. In fact, it is perfectly legitimate argument to appeal to authority as long as the authority cited is in fact a legitimate authority for the purpose cited.

    I would go on but you need to be more specific about WTF you are claiming. For example, WTF does "it" refer to in your second sentence? What is the "tertiary source" you claim that I cited? How specifically do you think I engaged in a "double 'attack the messenger'" fallacy? What messengers did I attack and why do you think it was a fallacy?

    Stop spewing meaningless jargon to try to make yourself sound smart (it has the opposite effect) and say what you mean.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  6. #276
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Elizabeth Warren’s embattled campaign: Cherokee tie found 5 generations ago

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Let's just deal with that idiocy on its own. First, you don't understant what "appeal to authority" means, notwithstanding the fact that I've explained it to you several times. You seem to think that any appeal to authority is a logical fallacy, which is just immeasurably stupid. In fact, it is perfectly legitimate argument to appeal to authority as long as the authority cited is in fact a legitimate authority for the purpose cited.

    I would go on but you need to be more specific about WTF you are claiming. For example, WTF does "it" refer to in your second sentence? What is the "tertiary source" you claim that I cited? How specifically do you think I engaged in a "double 'attack the messenger'" fallacy? What messengers did I attack and why do you think it was a fallacy?

    Stop spewing meaningless jargon to try to make yourself sound smart (it has the opposite effect) and say what you mean.
    Everything I listed fits. We're done here.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #277
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Elizabeth Warren’s embattled campaign: Cherokee tie found 5 generations ago

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Everything I listed fits. We're done here.
    And the inevitable punt....

    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  8. #278
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Elizabeth Warren’s embattled campaign: Cherokee tie found 5 generations ago

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    And the inevitable punt....

    Nope, you aren't being honest and getting dangerously close to personal attacks. There is nothing of substance left to discuss with you.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #279
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Elizabeth Warren’s embattled campaign: Cherokee tie found 5 generations ago

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Nope, you aren't being honest and getting dangerously close to personal attacks. There is nothing of substance left to discuss with you.
    I'm simply asking you to explain what you're trying to say.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  10. #280
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:50 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,767

    Re: Elizabeth Warren’s embattled campaign: Cherokee tie found 5 generations ago

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    Because it makes her 1/32 War Crinimal/Slaughterer of Native Americans.
    Which native Americans did Elizabeth Warren slaughter exactly?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 28 of 75 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •