Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 49

Thread: White House official confirms US carries out drone strikes.

  1. #11
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: White House official confirms US carries out drone strikes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    Any military program should have a basis in law if it is to have enduring legitimacy. Most people don't know that the Drone War isn't necessarily killing people American intelligence knows or identifies specifically. It's my understanding that the targets of the Drone War are now often selected through pattern recognition software which analyzes behavior.
    hm. evidence?

  2. #12
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: White House official confirms US carries out drone strikes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Computer programs are deciding who to shoot?

    now, that's really scary science fiction sort of stuff.
    the only computerized shooting I am aware of offhand is the missile defense stuff, where you have to have a computer guide the missile in, because humans can't steer that fast.

  3. #13
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: White House official confirms US carries out drone strikes.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    the only computerized shooting I am aware of offhand is the missile defense stuff, where you have to have a computer guide the missile in, because humans can't steer that fast.
    I still stay on top of alot of this and I believe you are correct.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #14
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: White House official confirms US carries out drone strikes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I still stay on top of alot of this and I believe you are correct.
    what did you do when you were blue side?

  5. #15
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: White House official confirms US carries out drone strikes.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    what did you do when you were blue side?
    Fire control systems. I <3 ordnance and weapon systems.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #16
    Educator
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 11:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    912

    Re: White House official confirms US carries out drone strikes.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Wow. So we can target whoever our government deems "the enemy" no matter where they are in the world. Downtown London? I guess so, since we don't have to declare war on a country in order to drone them. This doesn't sound right to me. I know we live in a different world now...I know terrorists hide in the hills...but this doesn't sound right.
    And who and what constitutes our government? Panetta testified before the Senate Armed Services Committee last month that the administration has the power to act militarily whenever it wants without the approval of Congress as long as it has the approval of NATO or the legality of a UN security counclil resolution. The Committee was taken aback. However under the United Nations Participation Act of 1945 signed by President Truman he is correct. The President has the power to circumvent the US Congress and place our military under UN control whenever he sees fit. And Obama has proven by his actions in Libya that he will do so. However the Supreme Court ruled in Reid vs. Covert that treaties cannot override the constitution. The American media at the time was consumed with reporting on the republican's war on women....or maybe it was the perils of Seamus the Irish setter. Regardless, this news was deemed too inconsequential to burden the American public with so not many people are aware of it. Another Obama power grab.
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ****

    Do you think you can act without Congress to initiate a no-fly zone in Syria – without congressional approval?” asked Sen. Sessions.

    “Our goal would be to seek international permission,” replied Panetta, adding – as if by way of patronizing afterthought – that “we would come to the Congress and inform you” about the progress of the unconstitutional onslaught against Syria. Once “legal permission” had been granted by NATO or “some kind of UN Security Council resolution,” he maintained, Obama wouldn’t need authorization from Congress.

    “They provide no legal authority,” Sessions observed with more than a hint of exasperation coloring his voice. “The only legal authority to deploy the United States military is the Congress and the president … and the Constitution.”

    Clinging tenaciously to his scripted talking points, Panetta replied that the Constitution entrusts the president with the authority to act in defense of the United States – a consideration that doesn’t apply in this case, since we have never been attacked nor threatened by Syria – but when the U.S. joins an international coalition, no congressional authorization is necessary: A permission slip from the UN or NATO will suffice
    Sen. Sessions appeared to perceive the arrangement described by Panetta as an impediment to U.S. military action. The truth is exactly the opposite: Involvement in the United Nations has facilitated U.S. military adventurism by removing Congress – the body supposed to represent the people – from the equation. From its origins in World War II, the United Nations has always been a war-making entity, and U.S. involvement in it amounts to an open-ended declaration of war.

    On December 20, 1945, Truman signed a measure entitled the United Nations Participation Act of 1945 (UNPA), which effectively abolished Congress’s constitutional function in declaring war. Under the UNPA, the U.S. President can “negotiate a special agreement or agreements with the Security Council” concerning the use of American military personnel and facilities for UN “peacekeeping” and “peace enforcement” missions.
    Panetta: UN Approval Adequate for Military Strike on Syria REPUBLIC MAGAZINE | THE VOICE OF THE PATRIOT MOVEMENT

  7. #17
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: White House official confirms US carries out drone strikes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    There is a significant defect in the current Drone War. It has no basis of legitimacy under either American or International law.
    If it saves american lives its legitimate to me...and they appear to be of value to us..

  8. #18
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: White House official confirms US carries out drone strikes.

    Quote Originally Posted by jerry7 View Post
    And who and what constitutes our government? Panetta testified before the Senate Armed Services Committee last month that the administration has the power to act militarily whenever it wants without the approval of Congress as long as it has the approval of NATO or the legality of a UN security counclil resolution. The Committee was taken aback. However under the United Nations Participation Act of 1945 signed by President Truman he is correct. The President has the power to circumvent the US Congress and place our military under UN control whenever he sees fit. And Obama has proven by his actions in Libya that he will do so. However the Supreme Court ruled in Reid vs. Covert that treaties cannot override the constitution. The American media at the time was consumed with reporting on the republican's war on women....or maybe it was the perils of Seamus the Irish setter. Regardless, this news was deemed too inconsequential to burden the American public with so not many people are aware of it. Another Obama power grab.
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ****

    Do you think you can act without Congress to initiate a no-fly zone in Syria – without congressional approval?” asked Sen. Sessions.

    “Our goal would be to seek international permission,” replied Panetta, adding – as if by way of patronizing afterthought – that “we would come to the Congress and inform you” about the progress of the unconstitutional onslaught against Syria. Once “legal permission” had been granted by NATO or “some kind of UN Security Council resolution,” he maintained, Obama wouldn’t need authorization from Congress.

    “They provide no legal authority,” Sessions observed with more than a hint of exasperation coloring his voice. “The only legal authority to deploy the United States military is the Congress and the president … and the Constitution.”

    Clinging tenaciously to his scripted talking points, Panetta replied that the Constitution entrusts the president with the authority to act in defense of the United States – a consideration that doesn’t apply in this case, since we have never been attacked nor threatened by Syria – but when the U.S. joins an international coalition, no congressional authorization is necessary: A permission slip from the UN or NATO will suffice
    Sen. Sessions appeared to perceive the arrangement described by Panetta as an impediment to U.S. military action. The truth is exactly the opposite: Involvement in the United Nations has facilitated U.S. military adventurism by removing Congress – the body supposed to represent the people – from the equation. From its origins in World War II, the United Nations has always been a war-making entity, and U.S. involvement in it amounts to an open-ended declaration of war.

    On December 20, 1945, Truman signed a measure entitled the United Nations Participation Act of 1945 (UNPA), which effectively abolished Congress’s constitutional function in declaring war. Under the UNPA, the U.S. President can “negotiate a special agreement or agreements with the Security Council” concerning the use of American military personnel and facilities for UN “peacekeeping” and “peace enforcement” missions.
    Panetta: UN Approval Adequate for Military Strike on Syria REPUBLIC MAGAZINE | THE VOICE OF THE PATRIOT MOVEMENT
    The United Nations Participation Act (UNPA) (59 Stat. 619) provides the basic authority for U.S. participation as a member of the United Nations Organization. In particular, it is the authority for the president to apply economic and other sanctions against a target country or its nationals pursuant to mandatory decisions by the United Nations Security Council under Article 41 of the United Nations Charter. Until recently, this statutory authority was rarely invoked, but in current practice it has become a significant basis for U.S. economic sanctions.

    Read more: United Nations Participation Act: Information from Answers.com
    I don't see anything there that authorizes the president to declare war under the authority of the UN or NATO. It seems to me that the Congress abrogated their responsibility to declare war when it allowed Lyndon Johnson to send half a million troops to war in Vietnam.

    However it was done, it appears to me that the executive branch has been given, or has taken, powers that were not granted by the Constitution.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #19
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: White House official confirms US carries out drone strikes.

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    If it saves american lives its legitimate to me...and they appear to be of value to us..
    Yeah, **** it. Why not just vaporize the Middle East?










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  10. #20
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: White House official confirms US carries out drone strikes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Yeah, **** it. Why not just vaporize the Middle East?
    Because that would burn up all of that lovely oil.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •