Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Judge Declares State Worker Drug Testing Order Unconstitutional

  1. #11
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,562

    Re: Judge Declares State Worker Drug Testing Order Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    DNA testing for elections wouldn't be mandatory either, except if you want to vote. And of course coservatives are quick to point out there is no constitutional right to vote.

    So can you explain the absolute inconsistency in your two positions?
    Wait...What? I never got that memo!

  2. #12
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,376

    Re: Judge Declares State Worker Drug Testing Order Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkWizard12 View Post
    Wait...What? I never got that memo!
    he does this alot,he changes subjects or uses strawman arguments or irrelevant subjects to divert from the fact he has no rebuttal,either trying to confuse his opposition or cause them to give up on trying claiming victory because his opposition got tired of providing evidence he constantly ignores.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SE Asia
    Last Seen
    07-12-14 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,333

    Re: Judge Declares State Worker Drug Testing Order Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    And of course coservatives are quick to point out there is no constitutional right to vote.
    I'm as liberal as they come, but you lost me there. I don't think I have ever heard a conservative make that claim. The rolly eyes hint you are being sarcastic about that point in which case, I'm still lost.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SE Asia
    Last Seen
    07-12-14 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,333

    Re: Judge Declares State Worker Drug Testing Order Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by beerftw View Post
    problem is if itsa job requirement,there is nowhere in the constitution saying its illegal.would you have pilots not needing drug tests until one is spun on meth and he crahses a plane?\\

    last scenario obviously doesnt apply to everyone but obviously the judge didnt followvery well the law,either that or drug tests are unconstitutianal,meaning the military fed employees and every emplouer nationwide needs to stopgiving them,ordo state employees have special rights other citizens dont?
    The Constitution may dictate a minimum threshold of what the government can’t do to us, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn't try to set the bar of personal liberty even higher.

    Your point about the pilot, however, is well taken. I believe personal liberties should only be restricted in such situations where not doing so would pose an unreasonable risk to other people. So my previous statement is flawed.

    There are a few occupations where people’s lives are in the hands of the employee, such as a pilot or surgeon. For such employees a slight slip in judgment can kill. In those few types of professions I believe the unreasonable risk threshold is met and I do not object to drug testing.

    However, that threshold is not met for the vast majority of jobs out there, including most federal jobs.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Judge Declares State Worker Drug Testing Order Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    I have to be honest i didnt expect this...it will be appealed im sure...


    A federal judge declared Gov. Rick Scott's order requiring drug testing for some 85,000 state workers unconstitutional Thursday, saying the governor showed no evidence of a drug problem at the agencies to warrant suspicionless testing.


    Judge Declares State Worker Drug Testing Order Unconstitutional | NBC 6 Miami
    I've been thinking a lot about this in general. I think that in general this should be considered unconstitutional even by private companies. I fear that these days the individual is losing any sense of privacy and we should work to reinstall that. Just because you have to take a job doesn't mean you should have to give up all sense of privacy and personal life.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #16
    Educator Rosie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    944

    Re: Judge Declares State Worker Drug Testing Order Unconstitutional

    I've been in jobs where mandatory testing is required. My stink at bus driver, for instance. So, if they were in a position where safety was a must, maybe. My government job of many years, had the option of random testing of employees, but they seldom did, and only when there was actual suspicision of use by an employee. Testing of all state employees period, just for the heck of it would be quite expensive, in this time of budget cuts.
    "The measure off intelligence is the ability to change." Albert Einstein

  7. #17
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,787

    Re: Judge Declares State Worker Drug Testing Order Unconstitutional

    I want to drug test Congress.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #18
    Educator Rosie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    944

    Re: Judge Declares State Worker Drug Testing Order Unconstitutional

    Yeh, I'm sure a lot of congress members would have a positive for good old ETOH.
    "The measure off intelligence is the ability to change." Albert Einstein

  9. #19
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Judge Declares State Worker Drug Testing Order Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcogito View Post
    I'm as liberal as they come, but you lost me there. I don't think I have ever heard a conservative make that claim. The rolly eyes hint you are being sarcastic about that point in which case, I'm still lost.
    I guess you haven't been following the photo ID threads, then, because several conservative posters defended the laws in part by arguing that there is no constitional right to vote. And in fact there is no absolute right to vote in the Constitution. The courts have been all over the map on the issue, with some finding a fundamental right, some finding a less than fundamental right, some finding a semi-fundamental right, and some finding no right at all. Here's a brief explanation from the site "Crush Liberalism" (lol): There is NO constitutional right to vote in federal elections « Crush Liberalism
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SE Asia
    Last Seen
    07-12-14 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,333

    Re: Judge Declares State Worker Drug Testing Order Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    I guess you haven't been following the photo ID threads, then, because several conservative posters defended the laws in part by arguing that there is no constitional right to vote. And in fact there is no absolute right to vote in the Constitution. The courts have been all over the map on the issue, with some finding a fundamental right, some finding a less than fundamental right, some finding a semi-fundamental right, and some finding no right at all. Here's a brief explanation from the site "Crush Liberalism" (lol): There is NO constitutional right to vote in federal elections « Crush Liberalism
    Thanks. I'm new here so I shouldn't be surprised when I am missing much of the backstory.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •