Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 127

Thread: Syria crisis: France raises use of force(edited)

  1. #51
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: France, suddenly has backbone

    Quote Originally Posted by MKULTRABOY View Post
    I can say playing dumb... well... is dumb. Invading the wrong country and being responsible for the deaths of a million people in the 21st century... well.

    how would you respond?
    I'd respond by saying your not talking about the bombing in Libya in 1986 and are referencing something other than the OP. Which is fine...

    Quote Originally Posted by MKULTRABOY View Post
    Anyways the thread is ready for your dodges...
    Nothing to dodge, you're off topic so it's more like "thread ignore". :

    Quote Originally Posted by MKULTRABOY View Post
    put your blinders on
    Just as soon as you take off your little foil hat.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #52
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,030

    Re: France, suddenly has backbone

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    Because despite the icing, the cake is worthless. They did very little for us during the Revolutionary War. And they did very little in Afghanistan today. English speaking nations are or true allies. The rest merely want a seat at the table and they will send troops to hide behind walls to prove it. Add up the casualties of all other countries in the NATO coalition in Afghanistan and they don't add up to what Canada has lost. Next in line is the U.K. and then, of course, the U.S. You don't spend all day in the sun building a shed with your own tools and give grand thanks to the neighbor who shows up with a few nails and a pitcher of lemonade to support you.

    As far as this grand show of morality to defend the little guys, one month prior to insisting that America do something with them in Libya, France offerred complete support to the dictator in Tunisia.
    You sure do walk a long way of dismissal to ensure your disdain for France. I'll stick with the facts of how the French blockade was imperative in us winning the Revolutionary war and trapped Cornwallis' escape along with the massive contributions of General Lafayette that you seem to also ignore by saying "They did very little for us during the Revolutionary War."

    Ignorance is bliss I guess when you wish to convince yourself to believe something rather than reading history to get the facts.


    France's Admiral de Grasse arrived in time to block a British fleet that was coming to rescue Lord Cornwallis from French and American land forces. On September 5, 1781, de Grasses's fleet moved out of Chesapeake Bay to face the attacking British ships. Realizing that the French blockade could not be broken, the British fleet sailed back to New York leaving Cornwallis' army with no choice but to surrender.


    I guess that Lafayette Square being put right next to the Whitehouse honors General Lafayette and how little contribution he was for us.

    As far as the French in Afghanistan not being much of a contribution...


    The first deployed French force was composed of soldiers from the 21st Marine Infantry Regiment deployed on 17 November 2001, to Mazar-e Sharif. As of 17 September 2011, 75 French soldiers have died.


    I'm sure that there are about 75 families that would really like to thank you for ****ting on their departed loved ones who simply went to fight on behalf of the United States. "A few nails and a pitcher of lemonade" indeed. Stay classy sport.
    Last edited by poweRob; 04-28-12 at 04:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  3. #53
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,013

    Re: France, suddenly has backbone

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    You sure do walk a long way of dismissal to ensure your disdain for France. I'll stick with the facts of how the French blockade was imperative in us winning the Revolutionary war and trapped Cornwallis' escape along with the massive contributions of General Lafayette that you seem to also ignore by saying "They did very little for us during the Revolutionary War."

    Ignorance is bliss I guess when you wish to convince yourself to believe something rather than reading history to get the facts.


    France's Admiral de Grasse arrived in time to block a British fleet that was coming to rescue Lord Cornwallis from French and American land forces. On September 5, 1781, de Grasses's fleet moved out of Chesapeake Bay to face the attacking British ships. Realizing that the French blockade could not be broken, the British fleet sailed back to New York leaving Cornwallis' army with no choice but to surrender.


    I guess that Lafayette Square being put right next to the Whitehouse honors General Lafayette and how little contribution he was for us.

    As far as the French in Afghanistan not being much of a contribution...


    The first deployed French force was composed of soldiers from the 21st Marine Infantry Regiment deployed on 17 November 2001, to Mazar-e Sharif. As of 17 September 2011, 75 French soldiers have died.


    I'm sure that there are about 75 families that would really like to thank you for ****ting on their departed loved ones who simply went to fight on behalf of the United States. "A few nails and a pitcher of lemonade" indeed. Stay classy sport.
    Don't be so emotional. You have layed out exactly what I meant by doing very little. "75" soldiers in how many years? The reason only 75 families in France are without their sons is because France keeps their troops on main operating bases and away fom the conduct of the war. Despite having such a huge show of force in country, they remain behind bases as trainers. The bulk of the deaths are all from English speaking nations, because the bulk of the fighting is between the enemy and English speaking nations. So when France offers their verbal support to the American people with televisions and offers more troops "to the fight," Americans don't realize that we spend the money to mobilize them and we protect their bases with our forward troops, actually in the fight.

    And it's great that the French "arrived in time" for the Revolutionary War. If only we deployed for France in the same manner. We would have just a few deaths over the course of the 20th century as well.

    Like I said, throwing a parade for the guy that brings a nail to the construction site only offers him legitimacy in his deceit.
    Last edited by MSgt; 04-28-12 at 05:04 PM.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  4. #54
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: France, suddenly has backbone

    Quote Originally Posted by MKULTRABOY View Post
    I can say playing dumb... well... is dumb. Invading the wrong country and being responsible for the deaths of a million people in the 21st century... well.

    how would you respond?

    Anyways the thread is ready for your dodges...

    put your blinders on
    So, when did we invade the wrong country and kill a million peopl? I don't recall that every happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #55
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: France, suddenly has backbone

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    I'm trying to figure out where we killed a million people in a single country. Throughout the Pacific...throughout Europe. I believe Vietnam almost had a million.

    But let's not shed too many tears for American imperfection. Europeans are resonsible for tens of millions of deaths for not just one world war, but two. Hell, people are so spun up over the depravities of radical Muslims anymore, they forget that the Midle East never started a World War, nor did it perfect genocide and ethnic cleansing like their neighbors to the north. So I'm not sure what your point is.
    That's not entirely accurate. The Arabs/Muslims are responsible for a lot of atrocities not only in Asia, but in Europe as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #56
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: France, suddenly has backbone

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    The French have fought and won more wars than we have...
    Show us their stats...can't wait for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #57
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: France, suddenly has backbone

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I think the problem is that they haven't done it in the last... century or so...
    More like two centuries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: France, suddenly has backbone

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    I believe people have become so PC in order to convince themselves that everyone is in the same boat that they delude themselves to the truth.

    Of course it doesn't justify. Justifying was not my intent. But we can explain. And hundreds of years of colonization, perfecting genocide and ethnic cleansing, starting two World Wars and a Cold War belongs across the Atlantic. Because we supported (installed, helped coup, etc.) some dictators during the Cold War doesn't mean that we are all the same now An American event doesn't equal the historical trends of others.

    C'mon. Supporting dictators had everything to do with protecting democracy around the globe It was the free world versus oppression. But like I always state, nobody can be the good guys without doing bad things.

    And who's in our image? Afghanistan would be the Tali-ban's were it not for 9/11. We do not launch all over the world seking to place more stars on our flag. We do not invade countries just to create commerce (a byproduct to be sure). And when it comes to celebrating France's decision to call for action over Syria, do you think they want to install another dictaorship? There is only one option left anymore when taking out a dictator. The Cold war is over. If we don't like the immoral act of the handy dandy dictator, then we have to accept the hard road of providing democratic opportunity. It's bloody and costly, but people can't have their perfect world. We need to recognize the times. The day of the dictator and monarchies is over. There is a reason over 120 democracies have been created since 1904. The future belongs to the people. Ours is a transition period where politicians and the privileged citizens of the convenient world struggle with a path.
    I don't know anyone who thinks everyone is in the same boat. I think some use PC like an excuse to ignore the argument.

    In explaining, there is a hint of justification. And no, supporting dictators really didn't save democracy around the world. The red threat was never the type of threat that would do away with democracy. It would help if we believed in democracy as much as we say do, having soem faith that it will endure and win the day.

    At the end of the day, Afghanistan may take back the Taliban. We'll see, but I also didn;t say we trying to put stars on the flag. I said remaking them in our immage. There was a lot of talk about that early on, but as the expense grw, and the reality set in, what we'd accept became less.

    And frankly, no where have I asked for a perfect world. I've asked that we not be aggressors. That we act within some core value. Not that is no room to work within the realities, but that we don't prop up dictators and oppression. And that we don't think we know best and can enforce our will on others. If you believe in our democracy, believe it will be something others want, and that time will more and more that way. Stop aggression as we did in the first guylf war, but don't invade and nation build recklessly. There are more choices than you're allowing for.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: France, suddenly has backbone

    About the French. Yes, they are a petulent lot. Of late not very dependable, if you ever do business with or through France. I do. They are hard to depend on without also having a plan for if they have a labor hissy fit. They are inefficiant as hell. And have more pompous jackasses per capita than anyone.

    However. The French were an enormous help in our Revolutionary War. Not just with their fleet, but also boots-on-the-ground. As to their courage and commitment, and losses, in military campaigns, their losses in WWI were staggering. Beyond anything America can possibly relate to in any war. They are also a country eternally fouled by bad politics, and as in both WW's, bad officers.

    While they have certainly stood tall in the past, at this point in their history, they are shifting to being a bit noodle-spined. They are about to vote back in a socialist, and become whining liberals once again, expecting the gubmit teat to not run dry. Friggin Germans are going to dis-own them again.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: France, suddenly has backbone

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    Because despite the icing, the cake is worthless. They did very little for us during the Revolutionary War.
    You could basically say the american revolutionary war was a french proxy war.

    And they did very little in Afghanistan today.
    Perhaps CIA blackops does 'more' other than them, likely not too many people do much more. X18 trains local military... that's also good too.

    English speaking nations are or true allies.
    ...RAAAH ZIIIEG!!!!! lmao relax

    The rest merely want a seat at the table and they will send troops to hide behind walls to prove it.
    Add up the casualties of all other countries in the NATO coalition in Afghanistan and they don't add up to what Canada has lost.
    Perhaps canada should ask some questions as to who goofed them in nato.

    Next in line is the U.K. and then, of course, the U.S. You don't spend all day in the sun building a shed with your own tools and give grand thanks to the neighbor who shows up with a few nails and a pitcher of lemonade to support you.
    Flies and vinegar... I'm sure it'd be a dandy time in Afghanistan alone... perhaps be polite when allies decide to help in a strategically ambiguous war.

    As far as this grand show of morality to defend the little guys, one month prior to insisting that America do something with them in Libya, France offerred complete support to the dictator in Tunisia.
    You wanna know what I wanna be when I grow up.. a CIA torture training consultant... so many little people governments to train.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •