Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: Mad Cow Disease Confirmed In California Dairy Cow, USDA Says

  1. #11
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Mad Cow Disease Confirmed In California Dairy Cow, USDA Says

    Found another article that states this cow had a rare form of the disease caused by a natural mutation. Same as the cows in Texas and Alabama from several years back.

    With this case, that makes 4 total in this country, ever. Since this is a non-communicable disease and is only accessible to another cow from an infected cow by eating byproducts from an infected animal, it is extremely unlikely that we'll see any kind of "epidemic" unless the facility this cow came from was utilizing said byproducts. Given that this disease was caused by a mutation and was not the standard form of BSE, I'd say people who are up in arms freaking out are highly over-reactive.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  2. #12
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Mad Cow Disease Confirmed In California Dairy Cow, USDA Says

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Found another article that states this cow had a rare form of the disease caused by a natural mutation. Same as the cows in Texas and Alabama from several years back.

    With this case, that makes 4 total in this country, ever. Since this is a non-communicable disease and is only accessible to another cow from an infected cow by eating byproducts from an infected animal, it is extremely unlikely that we'll see any kind of "epidemic" unless the facility this cow came from was utilizing said byproducts. Given that this disease was caused by a mutation and was not the standard form of BSE, I'd say people who are up in arms freaking out are highly over-reactive.

    very true. Also it's a dairy cow. not a meat cow. and I believe the total cases of human infection including the UK is 219 or so, EVER...
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #13
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Mad Cow Disease Confirmed In California Dairy Cow, USDA Says

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    very true. Also it's a dairy cow. not a meat cow. and I believe the total cases of human infection including the UK is 219 or so, EVER...
    And thus far every case of human infection of the disease caused by BSE had likely been exposed to BSE overseas, primarily in Britain.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  4. #14
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,092

    Re: Mad Cow Disease Confirmed In California Dairy Cow, USDA Says

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    And thus far every case of human infection of the disease caused by BSE had likely been exposed to BSE overseas, primarily in Britain.
    You mean every officially discovered and reported human infection. Most doctors would not know BSE if it kicked them in the nuts and spit in their face.. just saying. And you are certainly not going to gets states to admit that their cattle is a problem, nor get private hospitals to admit they have a case .. after the beef industry is big money when it comes to donations.

    Screening for BSE in the US has been far from up to the standard of what they do in Europe and else where and it has been so for decades.. because of pressures from the beef industry on regulators.. tainted beef would cause serious economic problems.. which is why the discovery of one cow in California.. out of a large herd is.. odd...
    Last edited by PeteEU; 04-25-12 at 11:43 AM.
    PeteEU

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Mad Cow Disease Confirmed In California Dairy Cow, USDA Says

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    You mean every officially discovered and reported human infection. Most doctors would not know BSE if it kicked them in the nuts and spit in their face.. just saying.
    I assume the UK gov was on the case pretty damned quickly once they figured out there was mad cow.

  6. #16
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Mad Cow Disease Confirmed In California Dairy Cow, USDA Says

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    You mean every officially discovered and reported human infection. Most doctors would not know BSE if it kicked them in the nuts and spit in their face.. just saying.

    Indeed, without evidence, speculation will do!
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #17
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,092

    Re: Mad Cow Disease Confirmed In California Dairy Cow, USDA Says

    Quote Originally Posted by MKULTRABOY View Post
    I assume the UK gov was on the case pretty damned quickly once they figured out there was mad cow.
    Actually they were slow as hell. It was an relatively unknown thing back then and by the time the realised what was going on.. their meat industry had collapsed because the rest of Europe banning imports of beef, sheep .. you name it. These bans are still in place today pretty much.
    PeteEU

  8. #18
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Mad Cow Disease Confirmed In California Dairy Cow, USDA Says

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    You mean every officially discovered and reported human infection. Most doctors would not know BSE if it kicked them in the nuts and spit in their face.. just saying.
    That's because human's don't get BSE. Why should a medical doctor specializing in care of human patients understand a disease that doesn't actually infect humans?

    The disease that humans get, which is believed to be caused by exposure to BSE, is incredibly rare. But a sample can be tested for the presence of the disease.

    Given its rarity, I seek no more pressure upon the medical community than I would for some of the most rare genetic syndromes. If only .0002% of the population has ever had issue X, given the magnitude of other issues humans face from a medical perspective, I am not suprised or disheartened by the fact that only a few select doctors will have any higher end knowledge of the issue.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Mad Cow Disease Confirmed In California Dairy Cow, USDA Says

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Actually they were slow as hell. It was an relatively unknown thing back then and by the time the realised what was going on.. their meat industry had collapsed because the rest of Europe banning imports of beef, sheep .. you name it. These bans are still in place today pretty much.
    It had something to do with the lack or produce and livestock tracking in the UK vs other European countries.

  10. #20
    Black Is Smart
    Van Basten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The New New Frontier
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,661

    Re: Mad Cow Disease Confirmed In California Dairy Cow, USDA Says

    Saw this on the news today. Hopefully it won't turn into anything big.
    "We have more responsibility than power, I think. The newspaper can create great controversies, stir up arguments within the community or discussion, can throw light on injustices....just as it can do the opposite. It can hide things and be a great power for evil." -- Rupert Murdoch, 1968

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •