Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 134

Thread: Shift on executive power lets Obama bypass rivals

  1. #1
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,467

    Shift on executive power lets Obama bypass rivals

    WASHINGTON — One Saturday last fall, President Obama interrupted a White House strategy meeting to raise an issue not on the agenda. He declared, aides recalled, that the administration needed to more aggressively use executive power to govern in the face of Congressional obstructionism.
    “We had been attempting to highlight the inability of Congress to do anything,” recalled William M. Daley, who was the White House chief of staff at the time. “The president expressed frustration, saying we have got to scour everything and push the envelope in finding things we can do on our own.”
    For Mr. Obama, that meeting was a turning point. As a senator and presidential candidate, he had criticized George W. Bush for flouting the role of Congress. And during his first two years in the White House, when Democrats controlled Congress, Mr. Obama largely worked through the legislative process to achieve his domestic policy goals.
    But increasingly in recent months, the administration has been seeking ways to act without Congress. Branding its unilateral efforts “We Can’t Wait,” a slogan that aides said Mr. Obama coined at that strategy meeting, the White House has rolled out dozens of new policies...


    NYT: Shift on executive power lets Obama bypass rivals - politics - The New York Times - msnbc.com

    Isn't it clear to people yet? Even MSNBC whom in this very article tries to make excuses for this President, can't hide the utter disdain Obama has for our process, and form of government.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #2
    User Vendablebow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Castle, IN
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    37

    Re: Shift on executive power lets Obama bypass rivals

    Honestly, it is the only way the guy can get anything done. God knows this Republican house wont pass anything proposed. They wont even pass ideas proposed by this president, that they introduced in the first place. I say if it is within the constitution, and basically legal, he should be able to do it.I hope he harps on this in this election as well.. Let Americans know about a house that sets on their hands all day!
    Obama 2012

  3. #3
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,467

    Re: Shift on executive power lets Obama bypass rivals

    Quote Originally Posted by Vendablebow View Post
    Honestly, it is the only way the guy can get anything done. God knows this Republican house wont pass anything proposed. They wont even pass ideas proposed by this president, that they introduced in the first place. I say if it is within the constitution, and basically legal, he should be able to do it.I hope he harps on this in this election as well.. Let Americans know about a house that sets on their hands all day!

    When President Bush was passing agenda items through executive order, liberals were screaming like stuck pigs that it was beyond his authority. But, now that it is Obama bypassing Congress it's all good eh?

    Constitutional is the key. We are already seeing that much of his agenda is NOT constitutional.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #4
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Shift on executive power lets Obama bypass rivals

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    When President Bush was passing agenda items through executive order, liberals were screaming like stuck pigs that it was beyond his authority. But, now that it is Obama bypassing Congress it's all good eh?

    Constitutional is the key. We are already seeing that much of his agenda is NOT constitutional.

    j-mac
    It's not the President's fault - no matter who he is.

    It's Congress' fault.

    Representatives and Senators love it when they're deadlocked. It means they can take on huge amounts of campaign contributions but aren't responsible when the legislation lobbyists paid them to support didn't get passed.

    So, oddly enough, it's in the interest of Congress for the executive to hold more power.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  5. #5
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,467

    Re: Shift on executive power lets Obama bypass rivals

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    It's not the President's fault - no matter who he is.

    It's Congress' fault.

    Representatives and Senators love it when they're deadlocked. It means they can take on huge amounts of campaign contributions but aren't responsible when the legislation lobbyists paid them to support didn't get passed.

    So, oddly enough, it's in the interest of Congress for the executive to hold more power.

    Executive order takes power of law creation away from those constitutionally mandated to be the ones creating them, and places it unequally in the Executive's hands. This is the very definition of over reach. And should Obama continue to bypass congress, he may stray from his legal authority. But, I certainly see your point sam, and that is not good either. However, we must guard the constitutional process against tyranny...


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #6
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    24,931

    Re: Shift on executive power lets Obama bypass rivals

    Why do you hate him so? Is it his height, his education? His good looks? Maybe because he's Hawaiian, Brah?
    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

    "We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." ..François-Marie Arouet. French philosopher. 1694 - 1778.

  7. #7
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Shift on executive power lets Obama bypass rivals

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Executive order takes power of law creation away from those constitutionally mandated to be the ones creating them, and places it unequally in the Executive's hands. This is the very definition of over reach. And should Obama continue to bypass congress, he may stray from his legal authority. But, I certainly see your point sam, and that is not good either. However, we must guard the constitutional process against tyranny...


    j-mac
    You're not telling me anything I don't already know.

    The thing is Congress doesn't give a ****. Congress wants executive overreach. They want it because it means nothing is there fault, but they still get government perks and campaign contributions.

    So don't go looking to Congress to change this trend.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  8. #8
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,467

    Re: Shift on executive power lets Obama bypass rivals

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Why do you hate him so? Is it his height, his education? His good looks? Maybe because he's Hawaiian, Brah?

    Hate who? Obama? I don't hate him, Brah! I think he is a good politician, with failed policy ideas that will ruin this country, and also displays a remarkable disdain for the constitution, and the voice of those that disagree with his desired failed policies.

    But Hate? Nah.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #9
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    03-05-18 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,862

    Re: Shift on executive power lets Obama bypass rivals

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Isn't it clear to people yet? Even MSNBC whom in this very article tries to make excuses for this President, can't hide the utter disdain Obama has for our process, and form of government.


    j-mac
    Poor, poor republicans. Perhaps we need a government program to protect them for the mean old media.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #10
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,467

    Re: Shift on executive power lets Obama bypass rivals

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    You're not telling me anything I don't already know.
    Was I supposed to? Is that a pre requisite to replying to your postings?


    The thing is Congress doesn't give a ****. Congress wants executive overreach. They want it because it means nothing is there fault, but they still get government perks and campaign contributions.
    Well, I'd like to think just a tad less cynically, and hold out hope that the people can bring pressure for these things to change.

    So don't go looking to Congress to change this trend.
    Then we must remind them whom they work for.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •