Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 134

Thread: Shift on executive power lets Obama bypass rivals

  1. #31
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Shift on executive power lets Obama bypass rivals

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Are you serious? Obama has had 100% Democratic support, or close to it, on most of his initiatives. I think it would be absolutely unprecedented if he got 100% support 100% of the time. Hell, Boehner can't even produce a bare majority of his caucus on important bills.

    Boehner is not President, that claimed his could lower the ocean tides, and cure an ailing planet of its ill's.....


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #32
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Shift on executive power lets Obama bypass rivals

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No, you're right. You haven't said that they shouldn't hear it, only that if they rule against what you think should be the proper ruling then you will demonize the court, and bitch about how it was a judicial fiat.


    j-mac
    Right, like you wouldn't do exactly the same thing if they didn't rule the way YOU want them to!
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  3. #33
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Shift on executive power lets Obama bypass rivals

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Right, like you wouldn't do exactly the same thing if they didn't rule the way YOU want them to!

    Absolutely. But let's not pretend that it isn't what it is.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Shift on executive power lets Obama bypass rivals

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    When President Bush was passing agenda items through executive order, liberals were screaming like stuck pigs that it was beyond his authority. But, now that it is Obama bypassing Congress it's all good eh?

    Constitutional is the key. We are already seeing that much of his agenda is NOT constitutional.

    j-mac
    When President Bush was passing agenda items, conservatives didn't raise a rant. Now that Obama is doing it, they are screaming like stuck pigs that it is beyond his authority. Consitution is key, we are seeing that conservatives don't really care unless there is a D in front of the name.

    Works both ways J. Your faux outrage is noted, but amazing, did a search and couldn't find anything on you complaining about Bush and his signing agenda through executive order.

  5. #35
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Shift on executive power lets Obama bypass rivals

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    When President Bush was passing agenda items, conservatives didn't raise a rant. Now that Obama is doing it, they are screaming like stuck pigs that it is beyond his authority. Consitution is key, we are seeing that conservatives don't really care unless there is a D in front of the name.

    Works both ways J. Your faux outrage is noted, but amazing, did a search and couldn't find anything on you complaining about Bush and his signing agenda through executive order.

    Unlike Obama, Bush never claimed that he would "Fundamentally change this country." You'll excuse me if I don't want to be Spain anytime soon....


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #36
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Shift on executive power lets Obama bypass rivals

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Unlike Obama, Bush never claimed that he would "Fundamentally change this country." You'll excuse me if I don't want to be Spain anytime soon....


    j-mac
    I have been voting against becoming Greece, but no one cares. Our political parties have become fundamentally the same. Incompetent and unable to lead.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Shift on executive power lets Obama bypass rivals

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Unlike Obama, Bush never claimed that he would "Fundamentally change this country." You'll excuse me if I don't want to be Spain anytime soon....


    j-mac
    So you didn't complain about Bush doing something you claim is wrong because he didn't say he wouldn't do it? Wow, nice justification there.

  8. #38
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Shift on executive power lets Obama bypass rivals

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Why do you hate him so? Is it his height, his education? His good looks? Maybe because he's Hawaiian, Brah?
    I don't know, likely because he's a Democrat. You know, the same general reason so many people "hated" Bush when you really got right down to it.

    Oh wait...sorry, I see you were stupidly trying to make a snide suggestion that opposing Obama = Racism. How incredibly unbigoted of an attitude to have, stereotyping in such a way.

  9. #39
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Shift on executive power lets Obama bypass rivals

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    I have been voting against becoming Greece, but no one cares. Our political parties have become fundamentally the same. Incompetent and unable to lead.
    In some ways yes. But unless the people wake up to the fact that they are being duped through populist nuggets that will never materialize then we have a tough road to travel.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    07-08-12 @ 03:33 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    271
    Blog Entries
    40

    Re: Shift on executive power lets Obama bypass rivals

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    When President Bush was passing agenda items through executive order, liberals were screaming like stuck pigs that it was beyond his authority. But, now that it is Obama bypassing Congress it's all good eh?

    Constitutional is the key. We are already seeing that much of his agenda is NOT constitutional.

    j-mac
    Exactly. This is not about a Republican or Democrat expanding power for themselves- each are expanding power for a President. t they do it in such a way that still has you more concerned about what party or person is doing it and not that it is being done at all. It doesn't matter who the next presidents are- all Presidents will undoubtedly use these unconstitutional powers to their own ends or to enforce the ends government wishes for it.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •