Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 204

Thread: Food Stamp Rolls to Grow Through 2014, CBO Says

  1. #101
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Food Stamp Rolls to Grow Through 2014, CBO Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    the problem is far older than that, and is even broader than bipartisan. it began in the early 1970s or before.

    the decades surrounding globalization and mechanization will be interesting historically. it's almost as if we're entering a post-labor economy. unfortunately, it's happening from the ground up, as those jobs are most easily replaced by machines or cheap labor. when that labor ceases to be cheap, it will be a race to the bottom. once the bottom is reached, those jobs will be mechanized as well.
    The problem goes much further back than that, over 2 thousand years ago, people were teaching others, how to manage their money well.
    It still hasn't caught on.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #102
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Food Stamp Rolls to Grow Through 2014, CBO Says

    Oh my, a liberal that wants government to spend more money on systems that can not support themselves. Go figure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Are you trying to make an argument that people with cars or cell phones should not receive fed/state food assistance because they have cars or cell phones? Do you have any clue as to how little you have to make to qualify for SANP assistance? We are talking poverty level.
    When 'poverty' includes having a car and the latest smart phone with an expensive unlimited data plan, it would appear someone has re-defined what 'poverty' is.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  3. #103
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Food Stamp Rolls to Grow Through 2014, CBO Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    The problem goes much further back than that, over 2 thousand years ago, people were teaching others, how to manage their money well.
    It still hasn't caught on.
    Ah, huge job losses and massive wealth deterioration...due to the biggest recession since '29....is caused by....poor personal money management.

    Interesting position.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #104
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Food Stamp Rolls to Grow Through 2014, CBO Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Ah, huge job losses and massive wealth deterioration...due to the biggest recession since '29....is caused by....poor personal money management.

    Interesting position.

    That definitely has a part to play for sure. Just because you are given a credit card with a $ limit, doesn't mean that you actually spend it. Just because you are offered that $500K house with no income verification, and a payment of interest only, doesn't mean that you actually sign the loan and take the house you know damned well you can NOT afford.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #105
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Food Stamp Rolls to Grow Through 2014, CBO Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    When 'poverty' includes having a car and the latest smart phone with an expensive unlimited data plan, it would appear someone has re-defined what 'poverty' is.
    Again, you have made some huge assumptions based on single point anecdotal data without displaying any understanding of the program or of the terms used.

    Dealing in absolutes without any tolerance or charity during a significant economic crisis for many families is bizarre.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #106
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Food Stamp Rolls to Grow Through 2014, CBO Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Again, you have made some huge assumptions based on single point anecdotal data without displaying any understanding of the program or of the terms used.

    Dealing in absolutes without any tolerance or charity during a significant economic crisis for many families is bizarre.
    "Charity" isn't always measured in terms of money redistributed in the form of give aways is it? "Charity" is also IMHO, teaching people to do the right things so that they can become self sufficient.....

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #107
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Food Stamp Rolls to Grow Through 2014, CBO Says

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    That definitely has a part to play for sure. Just because you are given a credit card with a $ limit, doesn't mean that you actually spend it. Just because you are offered that $500K house with no income verification, and a payment of interest only, doesn't mean that you actually sign the loan and take the house you know damned well you can NOT afford.

    j-mac
    Many many people were able to maintain the mortgage they assumed until the job losses came.

    And this argument of shifting the blame from those who controlled the lending (who should have the much better knowledge of the market) to the borrower is weak, very weak.....and it points again to this defense of the wealthy, which makes no sense from multiple aspects.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #108
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Food Stamp Rolls to Grow Through 2014, CBO Says

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    "Charity" isn't always measured in terms of money redistributed in the form of give aways is it? "Charity" is also IMHO, teaching people to do the right things so that they can become self sufficient.....

    j-mac
    I'm sorry...how do you "teach" someone to get a job when you have 5 people competing for a single job? Again, your argument assumes a "normal" job market and this is anything but normal. The charity we are talking about RIGHT NOW, HERE, is food.
    Last edited by Gimmesometruth; 04-22-12 at 11:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #109
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Food Stamp Rolls to Grow Through 2014, CBO Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Again, you have made some huge assumptions based on single point anecdotal data without displaying any understanding of the program or of the terms used.
    You are one of the one's that thinks a car and a smart phone are necessities of modern life. Spin however you want, you have re-defined poverty to a level that would leave most of the truly poor in the world laughing at you.

    But you are not alone. Many consider 'poverty' to be a much higher standard of living than it is in the rest of the world. There are people that choose poorly, the blame for their choices falls on nobody but themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Many many people were able to maintain the mortgage they assumed until the job losses came.

    And this argument of shifting the blame from those who controlled the lending (who should have the much better knowledge of the market) to the borrower is weak, very weak.....and it points again to this defense of the wealthy, which makes no sense from multiple aspects.
    And many people think ahead and do not put themselves into a house that stretches their limits. They consider the possibility of 'what if' and get what they know they can make work if hard times come. It's called being responsible.

    Because a bank offers to give someone money, it doesn't make the bank the bad party if someone comes along and makes the bad decision to get into something they know they should not get into. Calling out a lack of personal responsibility is not shifting blame or defending the 'rich'.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  10. #110
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Food Stamp Rolls to Grow Through 2014, CBO Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    You are one of the one's that thinks a car and a smart phone are necessities of modern life.
    A car and a phone are a requirement for most jobs, again you assume both are Rolls-Royce units, this is a stupid suggestion.
    Spin however you want, you have re-defined poverty to a level that would leave most of the truly poor in the world laughing at you.
    Again, you are doing the assuming, and we know how that results.

    But you are not alone. Many consider 'poverty' to be a much higher standard of living than it is in the rest of the world.
    Again, you can't define either.
    There are people that choose poorly, the blame for their choices falls on nobody but themselves.
    Right, the huge increases of SNAP recipients is caused by poor choices......not the huge job losses and wealth depletion. These people "choice" was to quit and spend their life savings for the heck of it.... what blindness.



    And many people think ahead and do not put themselves into a house that stretches their limits. They consider the possibility of 'what if' and get what they know they can make work if hard times come. It's called being responsible.
    Again, the assumption that people have not totally depleted their savings due to extraordinary economic conditions, again the blindness continues.

    Because a bank offers to give someone money, it doesn't make the bank the bad party if someone comes along and makes the bad decision to get into something they know they should not get into. Calling out a lack of personal responsibility is not shifting blame or defending the 'rich'.
    Since most of the early defaulters were due in large measure to NINA loans, the lenders were definitely in the wrong. Most of the later defaults came from income loss and wealth depletion which is not the fault of the borrower.


    You have yet to make an argument reflecting the reality of the situation.
    Last edited by Gimmesometruth; 04-22-12 at 12:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •