Page 88 of 156 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138 ... LastLast
Results 871 to 880 of 1555

Thread: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

  1. #871
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    GIs posing by corpses stirs furor

    "The U.S. military once again condemned the actions of some of its troops in Afghanistan on Wednesday after photographs surfaced of smiling soldiers posing with dead insurgents in the latest battlefield scandal."

    "The photographs mark the latest public relations setback for the U.S. military as it seeks to gradually withdraw from Afghanistan.

    In January, an Internet video showed Marines laughing as they urinated on the corpses of three insurgent fighters. In February, riots erupted after U.S. soldiers inadvertently incinerated copies of the Quran. In March, an Army staff sergeant was charged with killing 17 Afghan villagers, mostly women and children, in Kandahar province.

    Meantime, distrust is building between U.S. forces and their Afghan allies. The number of treacherous, lethal attacks by uniformed Afghan security forces against NATO troops and trainers has risen substantially this year."

    "Sen. Jack Reed. D-R.I., a former Army paratrooper and member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said one possible factor is a lack of direct supervision. Under the military’s counterinsurgency strategy, many small units are dispersed across rural parts of Afghanistan, often without their platoon leaders or company commanders.

    “They aren’t always there, so they physically can’t exercise the leadership,” he said.

    Reed said the instances of misconduct are obscuring the military’s good deeds and effort to win the hearts and minds of the Afghan people. “This is one of the difficulties of this kind of operation, with counterinsurgency,” he said. “It is as much a political battle as a tactical one.”

    GIs posing by corpses stirs furor | The Journal Gazette
    Afghans Negotiating Long U.S. Presence: Karzai - Bloomberg

    Afghan President Hamid Karzai said his government is negotiating with the U.S. to establish an “enduring partnership” that may entail a long-term presence of U.S. forces in the South Asian country.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #872
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You say an objective report, a couple in fact. You also saw the military itself reporting it and discussing it.

    If by military, you mean military.com then I'll assume you think the Army Times is an official Army outlet as well.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #873
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    If by military, you mean military.com then I'll assume you think the Army Times is an official Army outlet as well.
    I think it is responsive to military personal, and not in any way seeking to put the military in a poor light, and that they quoted military personnel.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #874
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    I just have to shake my head, boo. You make all sorts of excuses for the taliban, insult the military, and now declare army times no good because they are "not in any way seeking to put the military in a poor light".... Why do you have so much disdain for your countrymen, especially it's military members?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  5. #875
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    I just have to shake my head, boo. You make all sorts of excuses for the taliban, insult the military, and now declare army times no good because they are "not in any way seeking to put the military in a poor light".... Why do you have so much disdain for your countrymen, especially it's military members?
    I've insulted no one. I didn't take you as one with poor esteem for the military, but if you're reading an insult in there, your thinking is skewed somehow.

    Nor am I excusing the Taliban. Being factually correct is not making excuses. Rev, clear your head, read for comprehension, and address what is actually said.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #876
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I've insulted no one. I didn't take you as one with poor esteem for the military, but if you're reading an insult in there, your thinking is skewed somehow.

    Then explain why you felt in neccessary to cackle on about how we've lowered standards to get into the military. what was it's purpose, what was the point? it was irrellevent and served no purpose other to disparage those in harms way.



    Nor am I excusing the Taliban. Being factually correct is not making excuses. Rev, clear your head, read for comprehension, and address what is actually said.
    Right, you play these silly little games... Taliban harbored al qaeda, I demonstrated through that link the connection. you ignored it. the patented "Boo Radley shuffle".
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #877
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    To consolidate this issue, can we agree on these points?

    • It's great to kill Taliban/Al Qaeda/insurgents.
    • It was against professional code to take these pictures.
    • What these soldiers did is understandable.
    • Many people have no idea of the hell soldiers go through.
    • These soldiers shouldn't be dishonorably discharged from the military.

  8. #878
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Then explain why you felt in neccessary to cackle on about how we've lowered standards to get into the military. what was it's purpose, what was the point? it was irrellevent and served no purpose other to disparage those in harms way.
    Some said we did, that person was called on it, and I supported that the person was correct, as a factual issue. My hope was we could move on from that. But I always underestimate the effect of low esteem. The effort to ignore facts i order to be seen in a positive light just surprises me. If the lowering of the standards says anything at all, it speaks to the need and not the military itself.




    Right, you play these silly little games... Taliban harbored al qaeda, I demonstrated through that link the connection. you ignored it. the patented "Boo Radley shuffle".
    I don't see being factually correct as a game. The trouble with letting factually inaccurate claims stand is that people believe them and we don't address the real issue. The real issue is can we invade a country were our enemies are as opposed to acts by that country. I suggest if we can, we have a lot of invading to do. Making the false claim that the Taliban attacked us skips the real issue.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #879
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    To consolidate this issue, can we agree on these points?...

    ....• What these soldiers did is understandable.....
    no, what they did was sick & pathetic.

  10. #880
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Some said we did, that person was called on it, and I supported that the person was correct, as a factual issue. My hope was we could move on from that. But I always underestimate the effect of low esteem. The effort to ignore facts i order to be seen in a positive light just surprises me. If the lowering of the standards says anything at all, it speaks to the need and not the military itself.

    My self esteem is just fine, thank you. Weak attempt to deflect from your besmirching those who served. Those, who, unlike you IIRC, have actually seen combat. What point again was it to bring up this whole waiver issue, does it apply to the OP? if so, will you be providing evidence of this, as I can't seem to find it.


    I don't see being factually correct as a game. The trouble with letting factually inaccurate claims stand is that people believe them and we don't address the real issue. The real issue is can we invade a country were our enemies are as opposed to acts by that country. I suggest if we can, we have a lot of invading to do. Making the false claim that the Taliban attacked us skips the real issue.

    What post number did I claim the taliban attacked us? if you want to claim that you are being "factually correct", perhaps you shouldn't be dishonest about what other posters say.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •