Page 79 of 156 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 790 of 1555

Thread: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

  1. #781
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    You somehow missed our regime change in Afghanistan and Iraq????
    Did we appoint Karzai?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #782
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Did we appoint Karzai?

    No, we took sides in a civil war just as we did in Iraq. Without our war and support, Karzai would never have gained power, or been able to retain it.

    And we were the ones that appointed him as interim president.
    Last edited by Catawba; 04-24-12 at 07:48 PM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #783
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    No, we took sides in a civil war just as we did in Iraq. Without our war and support, Karzai would never have gained power, or been able to retain it.
    You mean there would never have been a Democratic election in Afghanistan for the first time in recorded history?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  4. #784
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    And we were the ones that appointed him as interim president.
    No, we weren't.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  5. #785
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    You mean there would never have been a Democratic election in Afghanistan for the first time in recorded history?
    And there will probably never be one again when we pull out and they return to the tribal system they have used for the last 10,000 years.

    You can't force Democracy on people at the end of a gun! We should have learned that lesson in Korea, Vietnam, and Iraq. Evidently, we are very low slearners.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #786
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Did we appoint Karzai?
    Without the invasion/occupation of Afghanistan, Karzai would not have become president.

    " On 4 November 2001, American special operation forces flew Karzai out of Afghanistan for protection."

    " Under the 5 December Bonn Agreement they formed an Interim Administration and named Karzai Chairman of a 29-member governing committee. He was sworn in as leader on 22 December."

    Hamid Karzai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #787
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Without the invasion/occupation of Afghanistan, Karzai would not have become president.

    " On 4 November 2001, American special operation forces flew Karzai out of Afghanistan for protection."

    " Under the 5 December Bonn Agreement they formed an Interim Administration and named Karzai Chairman of a 29-member governing committee. He was sworn in as leader on 22 December."

    Hamid Karzai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Who appointed him?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  8. #788
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    And there will probably never be one again when we pull out and they return to the tribal system they have used for the last 10,000 years.

    You can't force Democracy on people at the end of a gun! We should have learned that lesson in Korea, Vietnam, and Iraq. Evidently, we are very low slearners.
    How many governments have overthrown Democracy, once installed, and returned to despotism?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  9. #789
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    It is stretching the very defination of democratic election to claim that Afghanistan held a democratic election. It would also stretch the defination of democracy to claim what Afghanistan has now is a democracy. There are elected officials, but the leaders, as always are tribal. (which isn't as undemocratic as some would make it seem)

    What can be said is our arrogance in thinking any nation would gladly shuck centuries of honor and tradition for American concepts is folly beyond belief. That all nations would prefer our system to what they have used for centuries is odd don't you think?

  10. #790
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    It is stretching the very defination of democratic election to claim that Afghanistan held a democratic election. It would also stretch the defination of democracy to claim what Afghanistan has now is a democracy. There are elected officials, but the leaders, as always are tribal. (which isn't as undemocratic as some would make it seem)

    What can be said is our arrogance in thinking any nation would gladly shuck centuries of honor and tradition for American concepts is folly beyond belief. That all nations would prefer our system to what they have used for centuries is odd don't you think?

    Just to be clear, our own system is not a pure democracy anyway. It is a representative republic. Pure democracies use strong men to keep the sheep in line.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •