Page 73 of 156 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 730 of 1555

Thread: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

  1. #721
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    Yes, it would, since I could have eaten there in the past, or I could have tasted the food, or I could dislike the food. It depends on what my reason was for the conclusion. Also, constantly stating "opinion" is unnecessary. If I state something, it is implied to be my opinion and focusing so much on anything being an opinion is futile.

    Finally, an individual restaurant and a concept like atrocities are two grossly different things. The Afghan president is not suddenly the authority of what qualifies as an atrocities simply because he governs a country in which the event occurred.
    You are not an Afghan, nor have you ever been....that is the critical fact that you cannot escape.

    If an Afghan says that the treatment of a fellow Afghans' body, even if than Afghan is on the other side in civil war, is atrocious (appalling, horrifying), I will value his opinion over yours. It is his cultural view that has more subjective validity over yours.

    That is in no way an ad hominem against you, it is simply a fact of LIFE.
    Last edited by Gimmesometruth; 04-24-12 at 01:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #722
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You are not an Afghan, nor have you ever been....that is the critical fact that you cannot escape.
    That's not really relevant.

    If an Afghan says that the treatment of a fellow Afghans' body, even if than Afghan is on the other side in civil war, is atrocious (appalling, horrifying), I will value his opinion over yours. It is his cultural view that has more subjective validity over yours.
    Subjective validity is an oxymoron, at least in the context you're using it for.

    Also, atrocious is not the same thing as an atrocity. One is an adjective, one is a noun. An atrocity holds universally understood weight and throwing the word around and justifying it because "that guy said so" is not only reckless it's unfair.

    That is in no way an ad hominem against you, it is simply a fact of LIFE.
    I linked you a source on ad hominem. Saying one's argument cannot be valid because of x, x being a property or trait of ones, is an ad hominem. If you don't find the source adequate, I'll find you another.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  3. #723
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    That's not really relevant.
    It is totally relevant, you were making the same argument about the subjective nature of the observer. You are not of that culture, nor have you ever been, you cannot have a more valid POV.



    Subjective validity is an oxymoron, at least in the context you're using it for.
    No, the terms are not contradictory, at all. In fact you canot even bring yourself to explain how they contradict. Atrocious is totally subjective, the question, again, comes down to who has the most valid view. It is not you as already explained, and that is still not an ad hominem. It is a fact of life.

    Also, atrocious is not the same thing as an atrocity. One is an adjective, one is a noun. An atrocity holds universally understood weight and throwing the word around and justifying it because "that guy said so" is not only reckless it's unfair.
    LOL....

    Atrocity:
    1: the quality or state of being atrocious
    2: an atrocious act

    That is totally in the eye of the beholder. You claim it is not atrocious, the Afghan president says it is. Who has the most valid viewpoint when it concerns an Afghan. You have the audacity to claim a better understanding of their culture, their POV?



    I linked you a source on ad hominem. Saying one's argument cannot be valid because of x, x being a property or trait of ones, is an ad hominem. If you don't find the source adequate, I'll find you another.
    Do what ever you like, it won't change the fact that you cannot have a superior Afghan POV.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #724
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    It is totally relevant, you were making the same argument about the subjective nature of the observer. You are not of that culture, nor have you ever been, you cannot have a more valid POV.
    Where did I make that argument?


    No, the terms are not contradictory, at all.

    In fact you canot even bring yourself to explain how they contradict.
    Subjectivity is the feelings held by the observer, IE, the individual perceiving the object. These are varying and hold no credence to reality. Validity is rational following of a logical assertion. Subjectivity cannot be properly measured, as it is neither bound by the truth nor is it an effective measure for truth, and as such, arguing "subjective validity" is absurd.

    Atrocious is totally subjective, the question, again, comes down to who has the most valid view.
    No, atrocious is not "totally subjective." If it were, we couldn't use it as a word. We use it as a word because it holds meaning, and recklessly using the word in a context that does not call for it is very disingenuous.

    It is not you as already explained
    What do you mean by that?


    LOL....

    Atrocity:
    1: the quality or state of being atrocious
    2: an atrocious act
    Fair enough, stating both are reckless. Interesting that the definition is no longer subjective, however. I guess it's totally subjective but not TOTALLY subjective.



    That is totally in the eye of the beholder.
    Then how do we use it as a word? There is a common understanding buddy. That's how words work!

    You claim it is not atrocious, the Afghan president says it is.
    Yes, and I explained why. What is the Afghan's presidents reasoning?

    Who has the most valid viewpoint
    Whoever brings forth the most valid reasoning.

    when it concerns an Afghan.
    How is this relevant?

    You have the audacity to claim a better understanding of their culture, their POV?
    Their culture is irrelevant. What's relevant is the commonly held weight of the word atrocity, which is blind to their cultural conventions. Furthermore, I claim no such thing. I simply put forward an opposition, and, instead of actually addressing the opposition, you all go on this sophistic rant. I'm more than open to reconsidering my viewpoint, but the problem is, you've presented nothing to make me reconsider it except saying I can't know because I'm not him, which is absurd.

    Do what ever you like, it won't change the fact that you cannot have a superior Afghan POV.
    So basically you absolutely refuse to even acknowledge the thousands of years of thought given to the subject and instead come in on your own tear about how it's okay that I can't contradict mr.x because I'm not him? Is it audacious to do such a thing? Oh wait, no because it's subjective! But wait, if it's subjective, how can any position be audacious? Because, ya know, words are totally subjective. But wait! If words are totally subjective, how can any use of any word at any time be wrong? Oh, subjective is subjective! Of course!

    If you actually want to have an argument about something, say so. Otherwise, you and Catawba can play words with each other all night long by yourselves.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  5. #725
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Now, that's a flip flop on their part. Where did you hear that?
    Fox...(can't help it, it's on at work all the time). More importantly, I Googled it when I got home. Huff has a piece on it. Of course they put an imperialist spin on it.

    here's an NYT article:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/19/wo...a/19bases.html
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  6. #726
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    But they did waver for a time? I could look that up if you like.
    Yeah, in the 80's....it went away far before 9/11. But you should look it up anyway. For the record...it's "waiver".
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  7. #727
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Refer back to what I told GMST. You're doing it again.
    You can refer to whatever you like Boo, you're doing while claiming the high ground. Which is worse, in my book.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  8. #728
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    yes, but you still had to have a GED...whatever that is worth. that's the sad part, they were so desperate for numbers that they accepted people who had no business being in the military. and they have so pussified basic training that it no longer weeds out the undesirables and misfits. you don't even have to pass a PT test to get out of basic these days.
    There was a loophole. You could join the reserves without either....then request to go active in boot camp. They closed that loophole, as well. And you do have to pass one to get out of Navy boot camp. Also, the pt standards are higher now in the navy then they were in the 80s.
    Last edited by mac; 04-24-12 at 06:01 AM.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  9. #729
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,396

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    So say it now then. And well be clear. Burning korans or juggling dead savage terrorist bodyparts on you tube are not "attocities".


    Agree?

    Yes or no.

    Thanks



    Nada? Why so silent, panda?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #730
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,396

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You are not an Afghan, nor have you ever been....that is the critical fact that you cannot escape.

    If an Afghan says that the treatment of a fellow Afghans' body, even if than Afghan is on the other side in civil war, is atrocious (appalling, horrifying), I will value his opinion over yours. It is his cultural view that has more subjective validity over yours.

    That is in no way an ad hominem against you, it is simply a fact of LIFE.



    you are being obtuse. "atrocity" has a specific meaning on the world stage, indicating "war crimes", do you consider burning the koran a "war crime?, taking pictures of dead terrorists, especially those you didn't kill's body parts, a "war crime"? By calling silly things "atrocities", you cheapen the real meaning of the word. Considering lopping off someones head in the same vein as burning a koran, makes lopping someone's head off, seem not so seriouz.


    /facepalm
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •