Page 131 of 156 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 1555

Thread: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

  1. #1301
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I don't think war was the wrong way to go, I think that the way we did it was rushed and based both on American bloodlust and demands for revenge, plus the Bush administration realizing that it could push through personal agendas in the guise of fighting terrorism. Had we actually cared who we went to war with, instead of this ill-defined "war on terrorism" nonsense, had we waited until we actually had the facts instead of pretending we knew what we were talking about, things would have been much better. The whole "we're going to fight terrorism worldwide, no matter what" nonsense is just that.
    The trouble is terrorist groups are small, quick, hidden organizations. Armies are large, slower, and blunt force. Using them is like trying to do surgery with a baseball bat. Not effective.

    So while I think we agree there is a role for the military, the fact remains that invading and using the full army just was too much to effectively do the job.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #1302
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    We had already tried the law enforcement approach and it was a failure.
    That's actually incorrect. We were more asleep and doing nothing prior to 9/11.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #1303
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I'm sorry......respecting those who what?



    "tried".... You spend so much time saying anything but stating these soldiers did not commit war crimes.

    We know why.


    Again, you say we should "respect" the taliban savages that tried to kill the us soldiers you "condem" for the "crime" of snapping a picture.


    It's pretty clear whom you consider "war criminal" and who you "respect".
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  4. #1304
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    "tried".... You spend so much time saying anything but stating these soldiers did not commit war crimes, and we know you don't have to any more than you need to state you don't eat babies or don't think you are the King of Mars.
    edited for accuracy.

    you are are correct. I don't have to say I don't consider these soldiers to be war criminals, any more than I have to state I don't eat babies or I don't believe I am the King of Mars.

    I am glad we could finally end this silly, petty, and childish discussion, and agree on what I do & don't have to say.


  5. #1305
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    why would you think such a thing?
    Because you said it...The taliban was a recognized govt by some countries, but because we didn't recognize it, it was an illegal and illegitimate govt. If Thunder says it, it must be true...
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  6. #1306
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    ...If Thunder says it, it must be true...
    I know I'm smart, but I'm not THAT smart.

    but thank you for the compliment, I appreciate it.

  7. #1307
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    A serious question to all..


    I've asked this question many times, including to lawyers: If we had Bin Laden in custody right now, of what crime could he be tried and convicted in a US Court?

    Anyone?
    Conspiracy to commit murder, and contracting murder...among other things.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  8. #1308
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Because you said it...The taliban was a recognized govt by some countries, but because we didn't recognize it, it was an illegal and illegitimate govt....
    if you're not recognized by the UN, and you're not recognized by the vast majority of nations around the world, then your legitimacy is certainly in question, if not totally null.

  9. #1309
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    if you're not recognized by the UN, and you're not recognized by the vast majority of nations around the world, then your legitimacy is certainly in question, if not totally null.
    China is a member of the UN. The reality is that no country need recognize a govt for it to be a govt.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  10. #1310
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I know I'm smart, but I'm not THAT smart.

    but thank you for the compliment, I appreciate it.
    If you were as smart as you claim, you'd realize it wasn't one.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •