Page 105 of 156 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1555

Thread: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

  1. #1041
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Yeah, that wasn't the question mac asked either.


    j-mac
    That's OK. Boo answered it for him anyway.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #1042
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No, they didn't...Do you know why we are there?
    Not entirely. We could have ended the training camps and been just as effecting getting OBL without invading. I know that is the excuse given; however, I'm not convinced it holds any water.



    I wasn't aware that I said differently?


    j-mac
    Then you could have same time and space by saying true or I agree.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #1043
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I thought that was a good question, so I did a search:

    From Democracy to Dictatorship

    From Democracy to Dictatorship — The American Magazine

    Historically speaking, the transition from democracy to dictatorship has appeared in various forms, including military coup, civil war, election tampering and ‘emergency’ situations requiring ‘special’ powers . . .

    Why Democracies evolve into Dictatorships

    Democratization (or democratisation) is the transition to a more democratic political regime. It may be the transition from an authoritarian regime to a full democracy, a transition from an authoritarian political system to a semi-democracy or transition from a semi-authoritarian political system to a democratic political system. The outcome may be consolidated (as it was for example in the United Kingdom) or democratization may face frequent reversals (as it has faced for example in Argentina).

    Terms of Use (2012)/en - Wikimedia Foundation

    Do you agree with James Cooke in that article from the information clearing house, that moving from democracy to dictatorship is evolution?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #1044
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The distinction you have failed to grasp is that I support the military for defense, ONLY! I don't believe in putting troops, of whom my son is one, in harms way unnecessarily.
    m, kay. Following 9/11...what would President Catawba have done?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  5. #1045
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Do you agree with James Cooke in that article from the information clearing house, that moving from democracy to dictatorship is evolution?


    j-mac
    I think is good to be aware of the possibility. I think Plato even spoke of it. Being blind to possibilities is not wise. Freedom requires we be vigilent. And not just against liberals, but also conservatives who side step the rules in the false name of safety. All sides need to be watched.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #1046
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I agree that every misdeed should not result in dd, but I think this certainly merits it IMO, as it puts other soldiers and the mission at risk.
    Do you think that drinking under age merits a dishonorable discharge?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  7. #1047
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I thought that was a good question, so I did a search:

    From Democracy to Dictatorship

    From Democracy to Dictatorship — The American Magazine

    Historically speaking, the transition from democracy to dictatorship has appeared in various forms, including military coup, civil war, election tampering and ‘emergency’ situations requiring ‘special’ powers . . .

    Why Democracies evolve into Dictatorships

    Democratization (or democratisation) is the transition to a more democratic political regime. It may be the transition from an authoritarian regime to a full democracy, a transition from an authoritarian political system to a semi-democracy or transition from a semi-authoritarian political system to a democratic political system. The outcome may be consolidated (as it was for example in the United Kingdom) or democratization may face frequent reversals (as it has faced for example in Argentina).

    Terms of Use (2012)/en - Wikimedia Foundation
    Uh-huh...name a country which was a democracy and is now a dictatorship.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  8. #1048
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I think is good to be aware of the possibility. I think Plato even spoke of it. Being blind to possibilities is not wise. Freedom requires we be vigilent. And not just against liberals, but also conservatives who side step the rules in the false name of safety. All sides need to be watched.
    Non answer. Of course it is prudent to be aware of possibilities. That isn't what I asked now is it? James Cooke, whom you quoted, calls a shift from a democratic system, to a dictatorship an "evolution", Do you agree?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #1049
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Do you think that drinking under age merits a dishonorable discharge?
    Depends on a number of factors.

    Was this the soldiers first offense? Then no.
    Was this done numerous times, but not before he was offered counseling? Then no.
    Was this done numerous times, and the soldier has been offered and passed alcohol counseling? Then yes.
    did the underage drinking result in a felony or other charge? Then yes.

  10. #1050
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    re: Photos show U.S. GIs posing with dead Afghans[W:1146]

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Uh-huh...name a country which was a democracy and is now a dictatorship.
    According to SOME conservatives on this board, The United States because to them Obama is a dictator

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •