Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: National Sheriffs’ Association Manual: “Patrol members do not carry weapons.”

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    07-17-12 @ 08:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    439

    National Sheriffs’ Association Manual: “Patrol members do not carry weapons.”

    Shooting Focuses Attention on a Program That Seeks to Avoid Guns
    March 22, 2012

    In Sanford, she (Ms. Dorival, the police department’s volunteer coordinator) said, watch groups are not even supposed to make the rounds. That is the job of another kind of volunteer organization, Citizens on Patrol, whose members are selected and trained by the police and who drive the streets in a specially marked vehicle. Members of that group, Ms. Dorival said, “are armed only with a radio.”

    A wide range of neighborhood watch organizations exist across the country. Some have patrols, while others like Sanford’s do not. But the National Sheriffs’ Association, which sponsors the program nationwide, is absolutely clear on one point: guns have no place in a watch group. A manual distributed by the association repeatedly underscores the point: “Patrol members do not carry weapons.”

    The manual warns that watch members should “not attempt to apprehend a person committing a crime or to investigate a suspicious activity.” It should be emphasized to members of patrols, the materials state, that “they do not possess police power and they shall not carry weapons.” The consequences of not following the guidelines are severe, the manual states: “Each member is liable as an individual for civil and criminal charges should he exceed his authority.”

    The neighborhood watch movement came together some 40 years ago through the efforts of the National Sheriffs’ Association. Chris Tutko, the national director for the program at the association, said there were 25,000 registered neighborhood watch groups in the United States today, and far more unregistered groups like the one in Sanford.

    “This is a common-sense organization,” Mr. Tutko said. “If you carry a weapon, most likely you’re going to turn into a victim, or worse.” In his 40 years of work in law enforcement, he said, he has not seen another case like the one involving Mr. Zimmerman.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/23/us...ef=todayspaper
    George Zimmerman was a voluntary member of a "Neighborhood Watch Program" whose Sanford Police volunteers coordinator states that he was "not even supposed to make the rounds."

    "Making rounds" is the responsibility of another group, the "Citizens on Patrol" whose members are selected and trained by the police. Even this group is supposed to be "armed only with a radio.” Zimmerman was not a member of a "Citizens on Patrol" group, Sanford has no such group.

    According to the National Sheriffs’ Association which oversees these volunteer groups, its manual states
    - “Patrol members do not carry weapons.”
    - watch members should “not attempt to apprehend a person committing a crime or to investigate a suspicious activity.”
    - “they (patrol members) do not possess police power and they shall not carry weapons.”
    - “Each member is liable as an individual for civil and criminal charges should he exceed his authority.”
    Last edited by jgarden47; 04-18-12 at 08:27 AM.

  2. #2
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,008

    Re: National Sheriffs’ Association Manual: “Patrol members do not carry weapons.”

    Hasn't our Homeland Security (Janet N) asked citizens to be on the look out for crime and report it?
    Is there any laws stopping a citizen from walking/driving around viewing what activities are going on?

    For me, it is not important if Zimmerman was or was not a member of a "watch" group or not.

    In Arizona, it is legal for a person to carry a weapon (with or without a permit). I don't know if it is in Florida.

    The only important question to really ask. was the use of deadly force justified?
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: National Sheriffs’ Association Manual: “Patrol members do not carry weapons.”

    Quote Originally Posted by jgarden47 View Post
    George Zimmerman was a voluntary member of a "Neighborhood Watch Program" whose Sanford Police volunteers coordinator states that he was "not even supposed to make the rounds."

    "Making rounds" is the responsibility of another group, the "Citizens on Patrol" whose members are selected and trained by the police. Even this group is supposed to be "armed only with a radio.” Zimmerman was not a member of a "Citizens on Patrol" group, Sanford has no such group.

    According to the National Sheriffs’ Association which oversees these volunteer groups, its manual states
    - “Patrol members do not carry weapons.”
    - watch members should “not attempt to apprehend a person committing a crime or to investigate a suspicious activity.”
    - “they (patrol members) do not possess police power and they shall not carry weapons.”
    - “Each member is liable as an individual for civil and criminal charges should he exceed his authority.”
    Again, up until the point right after Zimmerman got out of the car, nothing he did was illegal. After that point is what is in contestation.

    In terms of the trial, that is what is going to be looked at. It will play a part in maybe setting the stage, but up until right after he got out of his car, nothing he did was against the law.
    Last edited by TheNextEra; 04-18-12 at 11:01 AM.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    08-09-13 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,600

    Re: National Sheriffs’ Association Manual: “Patrol members do not carry weapons.”

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    Hasn't our Homeland Security (Janet N) asked citizens to be on the look out for crime and report it?
    Is there any laws stopping a citizen from walking/driving around viewing what activities are going on?

    For me, it is not important if Zimmerman was or was not a member of a "watch" group or not.

    In Arizona, it is legal for a person to carry a weapon (with or without a permit). I don't know if it is in Florida.

    The only important question to really ask. was the use of deadly force justified?
    So in AZ neighbors profile and enforce with a loaded gun?

    I take it that they know all the neighbors and guests are rare.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: National Sheriffs’ Association Manual: “Patrol members do not carry weapons.”

    Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    So in AZ neighbors profile and enforce with a loaded gun?

    I take it that they know all the neighbors and guests are rare.
    If they have a CCW permit, they can.
    What is not allowed is Patrol members to carry just because they are patrol members. Permits are needed which Zimmerman had.

  6. #6
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,008

    Re: National Sheriffs’ Association Manual: “Patrol members do not carry weapons.”

    Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    So in AZ neighbors profile and enforce with a loaded gun?

    I take it that they know all the neighbors and guests are rare.
    Didn't say that. Mearly pointing out Homeland security has asked people to look around.
    Mearly pointed out that in some States it is legal to carry.

    What does the "watch' have to do with the use of deadly force?

    I don't know if Zimmerman is guilty or not.

    So you never watch out and observe activities in your neighborhood?
    Last edited by mike2810; 04-18-12 at 11:20 AM.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: National Sheriffs’ Association Manual: “Patrol members do not carry weapons.”

    Quote Originally Posted by jgarden47 View Post
    George Zimmerman was a voluntary member of a "Neighborhood Watch Program" whose Sanford Police volunteers coordinator states that he was "not even supposed to make the rounds."

    "Making rounds" is the responsibility of another group, the "Citizens on Patrol" whose members are selected and trained by the police. Even this group is supposed to be "armed only with a radio.” Zimmerman was not a member of a "Citizens on Patrol" group, Sanford has no such group.

    According to the National Sheriffs’ Association which oversees these volunteer groups, its manual states
    - “Patrol members do not carry weapons.”
    - watch members should “not attempt to apprehend a person committing a crime or to investigate a suspicious activity.”
    - “they (patrol members) do not possess police power and they shall not carry weapons.”
    - “Each member is liable as an individual for civil and criminal charges should he exceed his authority.”
    Translation:
    Quote Originally Posted by jgarden47 View Post
    Zimmerman's use of lethal force was illegal since he wasn't supposed to be armed at the time. <links>
    Is this an argument the prosecutors are making?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •