Page 45 of 52 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 519

Thread: Appeals Court Upholds Arizona's Voter ID Requirement

  1. #441
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Appeals Court Upholds Arizona's Voter ID Requirement

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    The ID's are free so it cost absolutely nothing for anyone to get an ID? That's not true. You know it's not true, I know it's not true, almost everyone who's read more than one article on the subject knows it's not true. Getting an ID isn't free for everyone because the ID requires supporting documents that some people don't have and sometimes those supporting documents can be expensive for an individual to acquire. So quit pretending that there's no cost. Ignoring the cost issue isn't winning you points and it sure isn't going to solve the problem.
    Not to mention the fact that there is no free lunch. The taxpayers are footing the bill for all of these unnecessary "free" IDs.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  2. #442
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Appeals Court Upholds Arizona's Voter ID Requirement

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Not to mention the fact that there is no free lunch. The taxpayers are footing the bill for all of these unnecessary "free" IDs.
    I know. Republicans talk about cutting back on spending - until it's their Baby that needs money.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  3. #443
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,984

    Re: Appeals Court Upholds Arizona's Voter ID Requirement

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Not to mention the fact that there is no free lunch. The taxpayers are footing the bill for all of these unnecessary "free" IDs.
    That is true. Yet taxpayers are already paying for the "free id". I can go down to DMV in Arizona and get one today. It is provided for those that don't drive. It assists in opening bank accounts, getting loans, getting through airline security, etc.

    So imo, the stance of the cost to taxpayers is not a very strong one. We already are paying. It is just a matter of how much each year

    (It would be another thread, but if you are worried about spending, their is so much waste that the id program would be a drop in the bucket..)
    Last edited by mike2810; 04-23-12 at 10:52 AM.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  4. #444
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Appeals Court Upholds Arizona's Voter ID Requirement

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    That is true. Yet taxpayers are already paying for the "free id". I can go down to DMV in Arizona and get one today. It is provided for those that don't drive. It assists in opening bank accounts, getting loans, getting through airline security, etc.

    So imo, the stance of the cost to taxpayers is not a very strong one. We already are paying. It is just a matter of how much each year

    (It would be another thread, but if you are worried about spending, their is so much waste that the id program would be a drop in the bucket..)
    Actually, according the Arizona DMV, they cost $12, which fee is waived for some people.

    Or you could get one here under the name of your choosing (for example, Eric Holder): Novelty and Fake ID cards of US states. - HOME
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  5. #445
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-13 @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    970

    Re: Appeals Court Upholds Arizona's Voter ID Requirement

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    The ID's are free so it cost absolutely nothing for anyone to get an ID? That's not true. You know it's not true, I know it's not true, almost everyone who's read more than one article on the subject knows it's not true. Getting an ID isn't free for everyone because the ID requires supporting documents that some people don't have and sometimes those supporting documents can be expensive for an individual to acquire. So quit pretending that there's no cost. Ignoring the cost issue isn't winning you points and it sure isn't going to solve the problem.
    Actually I think you are ignoring the point that the cost issue is really not much of an issue at all. In fact, once again, the promised disenfranchisement of hundreds of thousands of voters that this "cost" was said to threaten has not materialized. The support documents can be expensive to acquire? Which ones and what is the estimate you have that details this "expensive" cost? If your argument is that these documents "can" be expensive, I'd like to see proof of this. It won't change the fact that ID laws are already in effect and have not had the chilling effect they were promised to have, it won't repeal a single one of them either. Nor for that matter will it stop more laws being adopted in other states. But I'd like to indulge your point and see this cost that you are speaking about. What is it, how complicated a scenario is it that you are offering by way of your argument? Because people who don't as you say, already have these documents that would be necessary to get a ID for voting, and can't afford them, how are they getting along in society without an ID and any ability to get one of them in the first place?

    I for one would love to see someone finally quantify this argument you are making.
    Last edited by Gie; 04-23-12 at 11:59 AM.

  6. #446
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Appeals Court Upholds Arizona's Voter ID Requirement

    Surprisingly, Fox has a pretty good article on the topic: Voter ID Laws Target Rarely Occurring Voter Fraud | Fox News
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  7. #447
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,118
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Appeals Court Upholds Arizona's Voter ID Requirement

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    The taxpayers are footing the bill for all of these unnecessary "free" IDs.
    So you think those who can't afford an ID to vote, shouldn't get one for free?

    That's not very "progressive" of you.

  8. #448
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Appeals Court Upholds Arizona's Voter ID Requirement

    Considering there is no way catch people who are committing voter fraud, and the people who may be committing it aren't voluntarily admitting to it, how does anyone know how often fraud is happening?
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  9. #449
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Appeals Court Upholds Arizona's Voter ID Requirement

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    So you think those who can't afford an ID to vote, shouldn't get one for free?

    That's not very "progressive" of you.
    Not what I said, of course. I think the whole ID thing is a waste of time and money. Unnecessary, big-government, money wasting Republican red tape....
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  10. #450
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Appeals Court Upholds Arizona's Voter ID Requirement

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    Considering there is no way catch people who are committing voter fraud, and the people who may be committing it aren't voluntarily admitting to it, how does anyone know how often fraud is happening?
    There is no way to catch it? You're saying no one has ever been caught doing it?
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

Page 45 of 52 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •