Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 55

Thread: US to make profit from bailouts

  1. #21
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: US to make profit from bailouts

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot 88 View Post
    That sounds nice.

    However the federal government has no authority to bail out private companies that made poor business decisions. To do so using taxpayer money is also immoral.
    So, if you were employed by a company that would have failed if it were not for the bail outs of other companies you should loose your job to stay moral. Please explain your priorities. And explain why the government doesn't have the authority and have that also cover actions that supported WWII.

  2. #22
    Educator
    Chiefgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lake Jem, FL pop:35
    Last Seen
    05-08-15 @ 08:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: US to make profit from bailouts

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot 88 View Post
    That sounds nice.

    However the federal government has no authority to bail out private companies that made poor business decisions. To do so using taxpayer money is also immoral.

    The issue has nothing to do with 'morality'. It has to do with the thousands of middle class workers that would have been out of work. This country runs on the middle class. Without their spending, the entire economy shuts down. The middle class has slowed down consumption and our economy is struggling. Can you imagine how much worse it would have been with a couple hundred thousand more unemployed?

    Now, if you want to talk about penalties for the executives that caused the crisis..... That is for a different thread, but I would be very supportive of that!
    As a dreamer of dreams and a travellin' man, I have chalked up many a mile.
    Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and I've learned much from both of their styles!

  3. #23
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: US to make profit from bailouts

    Auto industry wouldn't need bailouts if there were tariffs in place.

    2 billion whole dollars in like 5 years. WOW, amazing. The US government would be making that type of "profit" every day if there were tariffs in place.
    Last edited by Matt Foley; 04-16-12 at 11:50 PM.

  4. #24
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,734

    Re: US to make profit from bailouts

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
    Auto industry wouldn't need bailouts if there were tariffs in place.

    2 billion whole dollars in like 5 years. WOW, amazing. The US government would be making that type of "profit" every day if there were tariffs in place.
    Now this is just silly. Why do you think Detriot had so many problems in the first place? Because they were unable to compete. Placing tariffs that would make it so they didnt have to compete would simply make the collapse even steeper when it occurred, not to mention they wouldnt have improved quality and value as quickly without global competition.

  5. #25
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: US to make profit from bailouts

    I wonder how many people are going to celebrate at this news when they hoped it would fail...under Bush or Obama.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  6. #26
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: US to make profit from bailouts

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Now this is just silly. Why do you think Detriot had so many problems in the first place? Because they were unable to compete.
    Oh look it's the, "Americans are overpayed, lazy, uneducated, American industry produces crap and all America needs to die," argument again.

    Placing tariffs that would make it so they didnt have to compete would simply make the collapse even steeper when it occurred, not to mention they wouldnt have improved quality and value as quickly without global competition.
    No actually Tariffs is the only solution. Prepare for doomsday.

  7. #27
    Advisor AClockworkGrape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas.
    Last Seen
    01-12-14 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    307

    Re: US to make profit from bailouts

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
    Oh look it's the, "Americans are overpayed, lazy, uneducated, American industry produces crap and all America needs to die," argument again.



    No actually Tariffs is the only solution. Prepare for doomsday.

    I don't want to put words in OC's mouth, but I really, really think he wasn't making such an argument.

  8. #28
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,377

    Re: US to make profit from bailouts

    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    BBC News - US to make profit from bailouts, Treasury says

    This is a feather in both GWB and Obama's caps.
    Gee whiz! It's true because the government tells us so?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #29
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,734

    Re: US to make profit from bailouts

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
    Oh look it's the, "Americans are overpayed, lazy, uneducated, American industry produces crap and all America needs to die," argument again.

    No actually Tariffs is the only solution. Prepare for doomsday.
    You are proving to be a complete troll.

    They overpromised their pay structure, from benefits to retirement. They also overstructured their assembly lines and placed too many barriers to light retooling that could make changes without large remodels. At NO point did I make the false bull**** arguments you are putting forth as my words. So you need to speak for yourself and not strawman the **** out of my posts.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    07-11-14 @ 06:21 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,025

    Re: US to make profit from bailouts

    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    So what's your excuse for Solyndra?
    Probably the same sort of excuse one might have used for Silverado.

    Ouch! Stepped right into that one. Ooops.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •