Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 121

Thread: Biden: 'War on Women' is Real, Will Intensify

  1. #31
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Biden: 'War on Women' is Real, Will Intensify

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Fear has been a popular tool of the Republocrats for some time now.
    libertarians have been preaching end of times economic doomsday for as long as I can recollect.

  2. #32
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Biden: 'War on Women' is Real, Will Intensify

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    A man who never had a legitimate chance at the presidency making a radical comment about birth control does not constitute a legitimate attack against the accessibility of birth control.
    I didn't argue that Santorum's comments "constituted a legitimate attack against the accessibility of birth control." I argued that, "Attacks on Planned Parenthood, birth control mandates because it's "immoral" and comments like these: [...], come from the right" I said this in response to you saying, "there has been absolutely no attack."

    You have now gone from "there has been no attack" (for which I provided a counterargument) to "there has been no legitimate attack". I'm not going to argue with moving goalposts.

  3. #33
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Biden: 'War on Women' is Real, Will Intensify

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I didn't argue that Santorum's comments "constituted a legitimate attack against the accessibility of birth control." I argued that, "Attacks on Planned Parenthood, birth control mandates because it's "immoral" and comments like these: [...], come from the right" I said this in response to you saying, "there has been absolutely no attack."

    You have now gone from "there has been no attack" (for which I provided a counterargument) to "there has been no legitimate attack". I'm not going to argue with moving goalposts.
    Saying "there is been no legitimate attack" doesn't really move the goal posts because it still supports the claim that there as been no attack.

    If some kid threw marshmellows at passing cars, would you say he was attacking motorists? I wouldn't, because the actions are ineffectual and pointless....just like Santorum's idiotic rant.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  4. #34
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Biden: 'War on Women' is Real, Will Intensify

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Saying "there is been no legitimate attack" doesn't really move the goal posts because it still supports the claim that there as been no attack.

    If some kid threw marshmellows at passing cars, would you say he was attacking motorists? I wouldn't, because the actions are ineffectual and pointless....just like Santorum's idiotic rant.
    If I use the actual definition of "attack", then yes, the kid is attacking the cars. Attacks, like most things, are all or nothing. There's a scale.

    Here's a link to the definition of attack:
    Attack | Define Attack at Dictionary.com

    Many/most comments coming from the right on birth control have been attacks according to at least three of those definitions. When I said "attack", I said it according to its dictionary definitions and no where in that link is the word "legitimate". Legitimate is just a qualifier for certain types of attacks. It doesn't encompass all of them.

  5. #35
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Biden: 'War on Women' is Real, Will Intensify

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    If I use the actual definition of "attack", then yes, the kid is attacking the cars. Attacks, like most things, are all or nothing. There's a scale.

    Here's a link to the definition of attack:
    Attack | Define Attack at Dictionary.com

    Many/most comments coming from the right on birth control have been attacks according to at least three of those definitions. When I said "attack", I said it according to its dictionary definitions and no where in that link is the word "legitimate". Legitimate is just a qualifier for certain types of attacks. It doesn't encompass all of them.
    Right. If you say so. I think it's dumb and dangerous for people to go around acting as though one man's thoughts have any ability to influence the issue. Santorum's words mean no more to the debate than me saying "Women should pay for their birth control as they would any other prescription; offering it for free is a gross act of overreach and preferential treatment with no substantiating evidence to show it will resolve any current issue."

    And why? Because Santorum has no influence or ability to affect law. If there were a true attack on women it would be from legislation being drafted at the local, state, or federal level, or from executive orders issued by the president. Or, it would come from people blocking access to birth control illegally in pharmacies or at hospitals and doctors offices. Have you seen any of that happening, outside of Plan B and minors? No? Right.

    So then what we have is some asshole making a speech about his personal beliefs. One man. And then you have a few catholics who say they don't want to pay for birth control for their employees because it conflicts with their religious beliefs. Catholic hospitals and organizations are allowed to avoid a lot of things because it conflicts with their religious beliefs, so why should birth control be any different? What those people are asking for won't restrict any existing access to birth control for women.

    So, again, you have a bunch of hyperbolic, fear mongering assholes running around skewing the significance of anything said that doesn't support free birth control for all, and suddenly we have a war on women. It's ridiculous. We beat black people to prevent them from entering segregated schools. We lynched black men wrongfully convicted of killing/harming white women. That was a "war". This is a bunch of nonsense developed by the left and its supporters to create an issue that doesn't exist in order to swing the vote. And you're perpetuating it.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  6. #36
    Educator Rosie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    946

    Re: Biden: 'War on Women' is Real, Will Intensify

    It's all in the eye of the beholder. If a right wing politician say "rights for the unborn must be made, or birth control can't be funded," that may be okay with right wingers. All of this and more, has been in the news for past numerous months. It's not in Biden's imagination. He did not coin the phrase "attack on women." Those types of decisions effect every woman's rights.
    Biden is known for his blunt comments. But that was not an inaccurate one.
    "The measure off intelligence is the ability to change." Albert Einstein

  7. #37
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: Biden: 'War on Women' is Real, Will Intensify

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I don't his comments are premised on the idea that women are stupid. I think his comments are premised on the fact that a lot of women do, in fact, have a problem with the recent conservative attacks on legalized abortion and birth control and he's trying to mobilize those women to vote. Fear tactics only work for mobilization. I don't think they're used to make people "fall" for something they haven't already fallen for.
    Republicans aren't waging a war on women. That's like saying that MLK waged a war on whites.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  8. #38
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: Biden: 'War on Women' is Real, Will Intensify

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    There's nothing stupid about mobilizing people who agree with you using fear. That said, it's not smart either. It's an obvious and common political tactic used by every political party known to man and it says nothing about Biden and everything about patterns in political strategy.
    Biden didn't invent fear mongering, but this was done so brazenly that it's fair to call it a gaffe.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,854

    Re: Biden: 'War on Women' is Real, Will Intensify

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    Biden didn't invent fear mongering, but this was done so brazenly that it's fair to call it a gaffe.
    It's not a gaffe...he knows exactly what he's doing.

    Not only is he keeping alive Obama's deflection from his record to this trumped up "war on women", he's tied the President's recent remarks about the Supreme Court into it.

    "And look, I'll tell you when it's going to intensify - the next president of the United States is going to get to name one, possibly two or more, members to the Supreme Court," he added.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  10. #40
    Advisor Rapunzel52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Great Midwest
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    525

    Re: Biden: 'War on Women' is Real, Will Intensify

    In the mean time the Ubama administration pays women 18% less than men...can't make this crap up...LOL
    If it sounds like Marx and acts like Stalin...it must be Obama

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •