Page 99 of 127 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 990 of 1268

Thread: Ann Romney Never Worked a Day In Her Life.

  1. #981
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ann Romney Never Worked a Day In Her Life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    That was quite a leap. Maybe you should sit and think about what you really believe before you state it and then you won't have to keep backtracking.
    I actually have believed that all along, but I can also see why they should pay top dollar too. Although I'm now leaning more towards 30% for all, hence why I agreed with you.
    I'm coming to see that no matter what law we regulate, be it the stand your ground act, there is never an objective morally right answer to any morale question; in fact, since there are multiple objectively right answers to every moral question that leaves us with a lot of grey area and a lot of black area (not in the racial since).
    -Jryan

  2. #982
    Professor
    Billy the Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 02:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Ann Romney Never Worked a Day In Her Life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    Nope, you strawmanned my argument.

    People don't send in a check because they know that if they did, it would be a drop of water in a sea, so what is the solution? Everyone drops their drop of water into the sea and then we see the sea level rise. (Try saying that five times fast )

    You believe everyone should pay more. I believe those that think like you should set the standard/example and start the ball rolling.

    If you can't see your way to doing that then you're not a "true believer", you're just another another person who wants to put the hand in my pocket.

  3. #983
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ann Romney Never Worked a Day In Her Life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    Because the middle class already pay higher taxes than the rich do. They are already doing their part.
    I am guessing there are quite a few classes you have not taken in college yet.

    First off, almost HALF of the 'taxable' people in the USA, pay zero federal income taxes. Not only that, but a good portion of those actually get a 'refund' that consists of money they never paid into the system to start with.

    There are different taxes and different rates, depending on how the money is 'earned'. For those that draw a paycheck, there is a set rate depending on how much is earned at a 'job' (minus deduction and such). For those that have money, and increase their wealth through investment, there is a different set rate. This is because the government (as a whole), see's a benefit in having people invest their money. It is good for the economy, good for the nation. Because this investment involves risk that is not present to the normal person drawing a paycheck, the government determined it that investments should be taxed at a lower rate. This provides an incentive to invest.

    As I suggested before, you should read up on all this before making silly statements that middle class is doing it's part (when most of them pay zero federal taxes), yet the rich are not doing their part because the government isn't stealing 90% of their wealth.

    Honestly, repeating that nonsense doesn't make you sound very bright.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  4. #984
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ann Romney Never Worked a Day In Her Life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Kid View Post
    You believe everyone should pay more. I believe those that think like you should set the standard/example and start the ball rolling.

    If you can't see your way to doing that then you're not a "true believer", you're just another another person who wants to put the hand in my pocket.
    Are you kidding me? Under your logic it is also a good idea to toss money out the window hoping that a government employee will stumble upon it and give it to the respective person. That would be the same thing as one person, and I mean one, paying 100 bucks extra on their taxes, hell, even a thousand, a million....
    I'm coming to see that no matter what law we regulate, be it the stand your ground act, there is never an objective morally right answer to any morale question; in fact, since there are multiple objectively right answers to every moral question that leaves us with a lot of grey area and a lot of black area (not in the racial since).
    -Jryan

  5. #985
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,357

    Re: Ann Romney Never Worked a Day In Her Life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    I actually have believed that all along, but I can also see why they should pay top dollar too. Although I'm now leaning more towards 30% for all, hence why I agreed with you.
    Your thoughts seem to change on a whim. No wonder you can't figure out what your lean is.


  6. #986
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,358

    Re: Ann Romney Never Worked a Day In Her Life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Kid View Post
    I'd agree to raise taxes on everyone. No one is exempt. We all pay "our fair share".
    Your "agreeing" to cripple out economy and increase our debt. Raising taxes on those that spend every dime of their income will slow growth and put us back into recession. In fact every dime more taken from those taxpayers will come out of consumer spending whicj is more than 2/3 of GDP

  7. #987
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,357

    Re: Ann Romney Never Worked a Day In Her Life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    Are you kidding me? Under your logic it is also a good idea to toss money out the window hoping that a government employee will stumble upon it and give it to the respective person. That would be the same thing as one person, and I mean one, paying 100 bucks extra on their taxes, hell, even a thousand, a million....
    So what will change when thousands of people toss money out the window?


  8. #988
    Professor
    Billy the Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 02:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Ann Romney Never Worked a Day In Her Life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    Right, I would even buy into everyone pays the 30%...

    Problem solved, where is the red phone to tell someone important?

    I mean everyone. No one gets out of paying taxes. No matter how poor or rich. Agree?

  9. #989
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Ann Romney Never Worked a Day In Her Life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Your thoughts seem to change on a whim. No wonder you can't figure out what your lean is.
    This may not be a bad thing! I think it refreshing to see a young person with an appearant open mind and have not been 'overtaken by the kool-aid'.

  10. #990
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ann Romney Never Worked a Day In Her Life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    I am guessing there are quite a few classes you have not taken in college yet.

    First off, almost HALF of the 'taxable' people in the USA, pay zero federal income taxes. Not only that, but a good portion of those actually get a 'refund' that consists of money they never paid into the system to start with.

    There are different taxes and different rates, depending on how the money is 'earned'. For those that draw a paycheck, there is a set rate depending on how much is earned at a 'job' (minus deduction and such). For those that have money, and increase their wealth through investment, there is a different set rate. This is because the government (as a whole), see's a benefit in having people invest their money. It is good for the economy, good for the nation. Because this investment involves risk that is not present to the normal person drawing a paycheck, the government determined it that investments should be taxed at a lower rate. This provides an incentive to invest.

    As I suggested before, you should read up on all this before making silly statements that middle class is doing it's part (when most of them pay zero federal taxes), yet the rich are not doing their part because the government isn't stealing 90% of their wealth.

    Honestly, repeating that nonsense doesn't make you sound very bright.
    Here's a look at who doesn't pay, and why.
    Question: So the reports that half the U.S. doesn't pay taxes are true?
    Answer: No, they're not. According to the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center in Washington, D.C., 46% of tax filers will owe no federal income tax this year. But when you figure in payroll taxes — such as those for Social Security, Medicare and unemployment — more than 80% of tax filers pay some kind of federal tax. And that doesn't include sales taxes, state taxes, local taxes, gas taxes, etc., which catch just about everyone.
    Q: But almost half the filers don't pay federal income tax. How come?
    A: It's because of the way the tax code is written. In 2010, a married couple filing jointly didn't have to pay any income taxes if their income was less than $18,700; couples older than 65, if their income was $20,900 or less. And even if you make more than that, the standard deduction — which goes up each year — and a myriad of other deductions and tax breaks reduce income tax exposure. In 2009, the most recent year for which Internal Revenue Service data is available, filers with adjusted gross income of less than $30,000 made up 83% of all the nontaxable returns. According to the Tax Policy Center's calculator, a couple with two kids younger than 13 that makes $30,000 would get $5,000 back under current laws.
    Who's not paying federal income tax?

    Lower middle class don't pay federal income tax. I think it would be more troublesome to find out that 83% of our Americans make less than 30k a year...
    I'm coming to see that no matter what law we regulate, be it the stand your ground act, there is never an objective morally right answer to any morale question; in fact, since there are multiple objectively right answers to every moral question that leaves us with a lot of grey area and a lot of black area (not in the racial since).
    -Jryan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •