Page 54 of 127 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast
Results 531 to 540 of 1268

Thread: Ann Romney Never Worked a Day In Her Life.

  1. #531
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Ann Romney Never Worked a Day In Her Life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    He and Bobby Petrino. Must have something to do with Arkansas.
    Or small sample sizes.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  2. #532
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Ann Romney Never Worked a Day In Her Life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Because that means Michelle Obama can't be criticized no matter what she says.
    There's a difference between legitimate criticism and a substanceless personal attack.

    Saying "I have a problem with what Michelle is doing" is different from saying "She's an ugly horse-faced fat bitch with a huge donk." Personally, I don't view the fact that Ann Romney never worked a day in her life as particularly relevant to Mitt's ability to be a chief executive.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 04-13-12 at 07:01 PM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  3. #533
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,175

    Re: Ann Romney Never Worked a Day In Her Life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Because that means Michelle Obama can't be criticized no matter what she says.
    Why should Michelle Obama be fair game, but not Ann Romney?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  4. #534
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Ann Romney Never Worked a Day In Her Life.

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    There's a difference between legitimate criticism and a substanceless personal attack.

    Saying "I have a problem with what Michelle is doing" is different from saying "She's an ugly horse-faced fat bitch with a huge donk."
    On this we agree. I just think if anyone of importance criticizes Michelle, the President will say, "Hey... I didn't like it when someone on the left did it to Ann Romney, so let's not do it to my wife either."


  5. #535
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:06 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,072

    Re: Ann Romney Never Worked a Day In Her Life.

    Quote Originally Posted by PW4000 View Post
    A)

    I'm very much unlike you. I do not belong, nor do I pledge allegiance to any political party in this country, or any other for that matter.


    B)

    I pledge allegiance to the Flag of my Country, the Declaration of Independents upon which it was founded, and the resultant Constitution that binds it and holds it together, despite the attempts of many to separate it.

    C)

    The factoid that America did not usher into the world the concept of Slavery, did not make the Institution of American Slavery, any less immoral than it was. The fact that Slavery was abolished in the United States, makes its legacy no less impacting on the current American Psyche today. And, your post is a prime example of that sad, sorry, and awfully pitiful fact. Nor, did it make George Washington, a moral agent of honor, decency and integrity.

    Those are the facts - like them, or not.
    But you can't just plug yourself into those times with a 2012 perspective and make universal moral judgments like that.

    A new nation has no currency other than labor. So how do you pay labor with no currency? Such is the problem with every fledgling nation. Slavery, especially that which is conducted as business by people who enslave their own people, is a solution, albeit an ugly one.

    When you watch Al Sharpton, or the New Black Panthers, you can see how people are downgraded and categorized by race. It happened, it was fixed, and we move on.

    Don't act like you would have thought differently. It's easy to throw darts from a big, rich nation 240 years later.

  6. #536
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Ann Romney Never Worked a Day In Her Life.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Why should Michelle Obama be fair game, but not Ann Romney?
    As I said earlier in this thread, they should both be fair game.


  7. #537
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Ann Romney Never Worked a Day In Her Life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Because that means Michelle Obama can't be criticized no matter what she says.
    I don't think Madame Obama can be criticized for how she lived her life and the choices she made. What she says publicly is a different matter, the same holds true for Mrs. Romney. She isn't being criticized (in this instance) for what she has said, but rather for the perfectly honorable choices she has made.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  8. #538
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:06 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,072

    Re: Ann Romney Never Worked a Day In Her Life.

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Or small sample sizes.
    The adminstration offered the girl a first-class ticket out of Fayetteville, but she said she preferred to ride coach.

  9. #539
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,175

    Re: Ann Romney Never Worked a Day In Her Life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    As I said earlier in this thread, they should both be fair game.
    Well, I disagree, I don't think either of them are fair game. Nothing they do has much bearing on how well their husbands either have been, or will be, President.

    At least you're consistent, so I can respect that.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  10. #540
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Ann Romney Never Worked a Day In Her Life.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Yeah, the comment is valid if you take it for what it obviously meant to show - that Mrs. Romney hasn't had to juggle things most mothers have to which is working a job, particularly while raising children. However, if you want to make a big deal out of the comment, then you can latch onto the "but stay at home moms" work argument which completely misses the intent of the statement.

    *FTR, I get a little perturbed when stay-at-home moms get self-righteous about doing a lot of work. I understand it's work to raise children, but it's even more work to raise children and have a job outside of the home so when people try to act like homemaking is the same level of work as full time job + raising kids, I think it's ridiculous.
    I agree with that, because I have seen it play out in real life and on reality tv. Vicky Gunvalson, Realhousewife of OC, is one of the only working women on the show and she's the breadwinner in the family. She makes millions of dollars a year and takes the housewives on vacations with her. She has a lot of pride in her work and her success.

    One day, she got attacked by a bunch of the other women for talking about all her hard work, because they are SAHMs and it's hard work too. The other wives live the same lifestyle but unlike Vicky, they didn't create it or earn all the money themselves, and that's the fact. Pointing that out, shouldn't be offensive.

    I think Vicky is a really inspirational woman on the show because of her success and hard work. There is nothing wrong with her taking pride in her work over housework. Housework has value especially for children and families, and good mothers and fathers are doing a great thing for the rest of society by taking care of their kids. People shouldn't have kids unless they are willing to raise them. There needs to be more great parents, and they should take pride in not working hard to wash dishes and change diapers... anybody can do that. They deserve respect for actually parenting and being teachers to their children.

    Lastly, a woman doesn't have to be SAHM to be a great parent, nor do you have to work a job to be earn respect.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •