Page 55 of 76 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 753

Thread: Rep. Allen West Says Up To 81 House Members Are Communists

  1. #541
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Rep. Allen West Says Up To 81 House Members Are Communists

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Grant-
    That's a tired long disproved excuse for sacrificing more troops and money to a doomed cause. What will be noticed is we recognize a losing situation and stop the bleeding. What others 'learn' from our withdrawal is no matter the lives spent, money spent, time spent, Afghanistan doesn't like outsiders.
    Once you make the commitment you have to follow through with that commitment. Now any two bit country can attack the United States knowing that after a few soldiers are killed you will lose your will and retreat. FDR or Churchill would never have suggested that they retreat from the Nazis to "stop the bleeding" but that's the new mantra. What governs foreign policy now is "What if someone gets hurt? Or offended?"

    Course if we weren't so arrogant and cocksure we could have read that in most any other nation's history starting with Alexander the Great...
    You figure Alexander the Great is a good role model for retreat?

  2. #542
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Rep. Allen West Says Up To 81 House Members Are Communists

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Yes, I read it. Essentially what they've done is taken the Obamacare health insurance mandate and blown it up about 1000 times to cover the entire safety net. I didn't realize you were such a huge fan of insurance mandates!
    Essentially they have done no such thing.

    The people were involved every step of the way.

  3. #543
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Rep. Allen West Says Up To 81 House Members Are Communists

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    Everything old is new again.

    Besides, the asshole involved must not have read McCarthy's biography all the way to the end.

    Spoiler alert: he was censured by Congress and died within the year of alcohol-related disease.
    Do you believe those things make any difference when deciding whether he was right or not?
    I am assuming that you are aware that McCarthy was right.

  4. #544
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Rep. Allen West Says Up To 81 House Members Are Communists

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Basten View Post
    Looks like America has alot of socialists running around.
    Agreed. We have way more than we need. At a minimum we should keep them out of government and out of education. Maybe we could hold a US Constitution in front of them to observe their reaction. If they call it a living document then cover them with hot tar, plenty of chicken feathers, and boot their butts out of town.

  5. #545
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,287
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Rep. Allen West Says Up To 81 House Members Are Communists

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    You may say that but in fact you don't know if it's true or not. That's certainly not true in this health care debacle and I would suspect many other cases as well. But the government is forcing ALL Americans do get involved n their schemes whether it makes any financial sense or not. Why cant individual Americans make those decisions? Or, at the very least, each State.
    The individual mandate of Obamcare is not the same as a safety net, and you might be surprised to know that I do not support such a mandate.

    However, the health care reform enacted does not mean you don't have a choice, it just means you HAVE to make a choice, again something I don't support.

    Whether I support it or not however, the individual or not it does make financial sense.


    Because once they are introduced, and all without the approval of the American people, they are very difficult to get rid of. There will be a lot of disappointed baby boomers, and beyond, who will not have the promised money for their retirement but who have made plans that this would be so. There will be no money for these people.

    No, it is unsustainable. There is no way to reform this broken system because, in this system, its all about money, money that is not there. It's all very well to dream of "reform" as though that's a possibility for the scheme to continue but anyone who thinks that, especially with the trillion dollars increase in debt every few months, makes any "reform" impossible
    No the reason it's difficult to get rid of is because it works.

    Social security brought millions of Elderly Americans out of poverty.

    The issue is that when it was enacted, unlike many Extreme right wingers would believe, it was not a conspiracy or plot to bankrupt the government, it was a program that worked in it's time. As was many social safety nets of it's time, as was the same in Western Europe.

    Why?

    Because the population pyramid was different, no one in their right mind would ever have believed the birth rates would change as dramatically as they have.


    There is absolutely no way in the world I would want to be an American right now, for the reasons explained above. You should drop this silliness. These class wars are going to get rougher and I don't need that hassle.
    As a former Marxist, if you think what's happening in the US right now is Class Warfare then I'm afraid you don't know what class warfare is.


    How do you know it is "unsubstantiated". Historically, its the communists who lie. We all know that, or should. And in fact Ive said more than once that I don;t know if these charges are true or not but they should certainly be investigated.
    I'm sorry it's communists who "lie"?

    How the hell does that support Mr. Wests claims?

    Can you prove them?

    Can he?

    Can anyone?

    How many card carrying members of the communist party do you think there are in Congress?

    And if so how many are there?

    What are their names?

    Do you have an ounce of proof whatsoever.

    More silliness. That seems to form the basis of your debate style. If I wanted to be an American tea Partier there is nothing to prevent me.

    I certainly could be a Tea Partier, as well as an American, but choose not to be. I'm happy spending most of my life in Canada and central America. Do you know of a good reason, if you think know me, why I would want that to change? I certainly have no interest in you beyond your juvenile posts to which I feel i feel obliged to respond. Why your fixation on my personal life?
    Yeah why would you want to change, when you get free health care, a social safety net and a much safer country...

  6. #546
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Rep. Allen West Says Up To 81 House Members Are Communists

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Essentially they have done no such thing.

    The people were involved every step of the way.
    WTF does that even mean? The fact is that the Swiss government mandates ALL KINDS of insurance -- not just health insurance (though they absolutely have a health insurance mandate).
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  7. #547
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Rep. Allen West Says Up To 81 House Members Are Communists

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    WTF does that even mean? The fact is that the Swiss government mandates ALL KINDS of insurance -- not just health insurance (though they absolutely have a health insurance mandate).
    Investigate and see what it means.

  8. #548
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Rep. Allen West Says Up To 81 House Members Are Communists

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Investigate and see what it means.
    It's your comment that I don't understand -- not the Swiss system.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  9. #549
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Rep. Allen West Says Up To 81 House Members Are Communists

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Agreed. We have way more than we need. At a minimum we should keep them out of government and out of education. Maybe we could hold a US Constitution in front of them to observe their reaction. If they call it a living document then cover them with hot tar, plenty of chicken feathers, and boot their butts out of town.
    It's funny you claim to follow the Constitution and then make a comment like that which if acted upon would be unconsitutional. Irony at it's best.

  10. #550
    Advisor Hikertrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    09-26-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    352

    Re: Rep. Allen West Says Up To 81 House Members Are Communists

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    The role of the US military is not part of the question.

    In broad terms, the US military is in fact a social program. It's funded by tax payer money,and it serves the overall community (in this case the entire country).

    Just as public education is tax payer funded, and it serves the overall community.

    I do think it's quite pathetic to equate social programs with communism.
    It does explain a lot though if people will openly make that jump.
    Not to mention police, fire, libraries, town, state, and national parks, highways, etc.

Page 55 of 76 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •