Capitalism is not a code word for self-interest, although self-interest obviously plays a key role. Capitalism harnesses human behavior to fuel production, which is why it works. But self-interest isn't the only human motivation.
It's not me deciding anything. It's the political will of the electorate. Thus, representative democracy is what ultimately regulates the market and makes it responsive to our needs.
Most agree that the Leftward process began with FDR (some say Wilson), with a surge provided by LBJ and now another with HBO. Once the government becomes involved in the economy, and the family, they become extremely difficult to remove and succeeding generations come to accept them as normal and often a "right".
Here's an interesting column on the nationalization of the family, and the easily observable consequences.
Bringing It Home :: SteynOnline
1) Yes, I travel a lot, usually international, and am always frisked at airports, like everyone else, and always without probable cause.Well, ask yourself these simple questions:
1) Have your moments been restricted? Can you not go wherever you please both within your city? Your State? Your country? Or do you have to show your papers at every checkpoint?
2) Can you not still say whatever you want short of yelling "FIRE" in a crowded room?
3) Have you or anyone you know been pulled from the peaceful confines of your home against your will WITHOUT explanation or WITHOUT a warrant?
2) Yes, but restrictions are certainly being considered, including boycotts of businesses and government censorship.
Actually the USA has enjoyed remarkable stability during its 235 years. None have done better.Well, when you have economic instability and equality for as long as it's been present in this country,
Which people are being "assailed"?when people are are assailed for no other reason than to trim expenditures for budgetary concerns and when regulations
Move the nation forward? How so? And the class, race and religious wars are the result of not enough social spending? Is that your take?which could help move the nation forward but are instead stimmied for political reasons than to win political points, I'd say there's a reason the "class wars", "race wars" and "religious wars" have seemed to take root.
Last edited by Henrin; 04-14-12 at 08:25 PM.
Electorate? Not even close. Tell me when did we elect Cas Sustien?It's not me deciding anything. It's the political will of the electorate. Thus, representative democracy is what ultimately regulates the market and makes it responsive to our needs.