Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Readers react to Ozzie Guillen’s Castro comments

  1. #1
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,149

    Readers react to Ozzie Guillen’s Castro comments

    Readers react to Ozzie Guillen's Castro comments - Breaking News - MiamiHerald.com
    Miami Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen, who sparked a controversy over published remarks he made saying he "loved" and "respected" Fidel Castro
    what did ozzie do that was so wrong?
    he differentiated that while he respected castro the person he held no affection for castro's political beliefs
    expressed similar sentiment for chavez in venezuela


    is this a case where PC trumps free speech, because the marlins' ownership is trying to attract miami's cuban expatriate community
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Readers react to Ozzie Guillen’s Castro comments

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    Readers react to Ozzie Guillen's Castro comments - Breaking News - MiamiHerald.com

    what did ozzie do that was so wrong?
    he differentiated that while he respected castro the person he held no affection for castro's political beliefs
    expressed similar sentiment for chavez in venezuela


    is this a case where PC trumps free speech, because the marlins' ownership is trying to attract miami's cuban expatriate community
    ozzie has been suspended for 5 games by miami management

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Readers react to Ozzie Guillen’s Castro comments

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    As you said, Ozzie is in Miami managing at a ballpark near little Havanna which is mostly made up of people that escaped Cuba and Castro's regime. The Marlins need to attract the fans, including the ex-cubans (who are big baseball fans), and Ozzie's comment will make that even more difficult - add in the reaction from leaders of the local community and...

    As a White Sox fan, Ozzie is a big mouth who was not much of a manager, IMO. However, the Marlin's need to control him somehow, and I would assume they hope that if he sees there really will be consequences, it might go a small way to controlling his mouth - ever so slightly. He said a lot of stupid stuff up here in Chicago, and he didn't face much reaction from ownership.
    Last edited by buck; 04-10-12 at 02:14 PM.

  4. #4
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Readers react to Ozzie Guillen’s Castro comments

    Your pre-Castro Cubans are so eaten up with hatred towards Fidel that anything even remotely suggesting that he isn't the devil incarnate is considered beyond the pale. As a non-Cuban living in Miami ... it gets old fast.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  5. #5
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Readers react to Ozzie Guillen’s Castro comments

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    Readers react to Ozzie Guillen's Castro comments - Breaking News - MiamiHerald.com

    what did ozzie do that was so wrong?
    he differentiated that while he respected castro the person he held no affection for castro's political beliefs
    expressed similar sentiment for chavez in venezuela


    is this a case where PC trumps free speech, because the marlins' ownership is trying to attract miami's cuban expatriate community
    the problem is Castro suppressed and killed large amounts of people. Within many communities, especially cubans, he is despised as much as hitler, gadhafi, sung or stalin. He has the right to free speech and people have the right to react to his comments.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  6. #6
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Readers react to Ozzie Guillen’s Castro comments

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Your pre-Castro Cubans are so eaten up with hatred towards Fidel that anything even remotely suggesting that he isn't the devil incarnate is considered beyond the pale. As a non-Cuban living in Miami ... it gets old fast.
    Cuba Archive: Verdad y Memoria - A Truth and Memory Project - Home

    Maybe this is why.

    Being surrounded by Peruvians, I can tell you that most of them do not praise Alberto Fujimori, a dictator who ruled with an iron fist during the 1990s, just because he was better than his predecessor.

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Readers react to Ozzie Guillen’s Castro comments

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Your pre-Castro Cubans are so eaten up with hatred towards Fidel that anything even remotely suggesting that he isn't the devil incarnate is considered beyond the pale. As a non-Cuban living in Miami ... it gets old fast.
    Yeah. I have no doubt you know what they experienced and their relatives are currently experiencing better than they do. How dare they not like the man and not want to support someone that would say nice things about him.

  8. #8
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Readers react to Ozzie Guillen’s Castro comments

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    Is this a case where PC trumps free speech, because the marlins' ownership is trying to attract miami's cuban expatriate community
    Yes. Are you critical of that? People have a much inflated view of what free speech is all about, that's for sure.

    Free speech. You've got it. You won't be arrested for it. But you also have all of the other consequences that free speech brings your way.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #9
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,887

    Re: Readers react to Ozzie Guillen’s Castro comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie Guillen
    "I love Fidel Castro... You know why? Many people have tried to kill Fidel Castro in the last 60 years, yet that [SOB] is still there."
    Drop off everything after the ..., and you can see why people would be pissed.

    Put it all back into context, and he's basically admiring an asshole for being an asshole.

    Which is an accurate summation of Ozzie Guillen's entire carreer in baseball.

  10. #10
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: Readers react to Ozzie Guillen’s Castro comments

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    the problem is Castro suppressed and killed large amounts of people. Within many communities, especially cubans, he is despised as much as hitler, gadhafi, sung or stalin. He has the right to free speech and people have the right to react to his comments.
    no problem with what you say
    but should ozzie be suspended for the five games because he chose to express his personal opinion?
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •