Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 47

Thread: Walker signs bill barring workers from collecting damages for employment discriminati

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Walker signs bill barring workers from collecting damages for employment discrimi

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonI View Post
    of course, they're all BS because that stuff doesn't happen in the USA...swell reply there...
    Your reply ain't so swell. Or informed. Carry on though.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Where pissing off the has beens here is fun...
    Last Seen
    04-07-13 @ 09:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,156

    Re: Walker signs bill barring workers from collecting damages for employment discrimi

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Your reply ain't so swell. Or informed. Carry on though.
    thanks...good one!

  3. #13
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Walker signs bill barring workers from collecting damages for employment discrimi

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Once 'conservatives' thought capping punitive awards was the way to go and now this. When corporations profit in the billions and get fined a few million that seems outrageous, now they can discriminate and face a slight slap on the hands.
    I agree with you. Punitive damages are meant to send a message: "People who do this are going to find it mighty expensive." Now, with just attorney fees (and probably capped to "fair and reasonable" at that), the message isn't being sent.

    The danger here is that corporations will approach this conduct with the mindset that, "Well, if we get caught, we'll settle early and avoid extensive attorney fees." And the danger with that is that attorneys will be reluctant to take these cases to court.

    I do think it's appropriate to cap punitive damages -- thinking of the "Hot Coffee McDonald's Case."
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #14
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,098

    Re: Walker signs bill barring workers from collecting damages for employment discrimi

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    This is over the top, in my opinion. This guy really has a set. You'd think he'd lay back in the weeds...
    He is an ALEC boy doing what ALEC tells him to do when ALEC tells him to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Walker signs bill barring workers from collecting damages for employment discrimi

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I agree with you. Punitive damages are meant to send a message: "People who do this are going to find it mighty expensive." Now, with just attorney fees (and probably capped to "fair and reasonable" at that), the message isn't being sent.

    The danger here is that corporations will approach this conduct with the mindset that, "Well, if we get caught, we'll settle early and avoid extensive attorney fees." And the danger with that is that attorneys will be reluctant to take these cases to court.

    I do think it's appropriate to cap punitive damages -- thinking of the "Hot Coffee McDonald's Case."
    I can sympathize, but this is an entirely different class of cases. My own feelings are that it has become way too difficult to just fire someone. IMMHO, an employer should be able to fire you for any reason at all. This at least limits the frivolity that has turned much civil litigation into pretzels thse last 30 years. Very expensive cluster****s of liberal foolishness.

    Libs don't like it? Tough ****. Become an employer, and then keep lard-ass employees on your payroll forever so that you can feel good about it.
    Last edited by Eighty Deuce; 04-09-12 at 10:29 PM.

  6. #16
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,511

    Re: Walker signs bill barring workers from collecting damages for employment discrimi

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    [/COLOR][/FONT]

    Source @: Walker signs bill barring workers from collecting damages for employment discrimination | Duluth News Tribune | Duluth, Minnesota

    Walker is such a great guy! I mean a real stand up Governor! I pray to god he is gone

    Thoughts?
    Comments?
    Response?


    This applies to both public and private employees?

    Oh, and Republicans are asking in other threads, "Why don't more minorities vote GOP?"

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Where pissing off the has beens here is fun...
    Last Seen
    04-07-13 @ 09:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,156

    Re: Walker signs bill barring workers from collecting damages for employment discrimi

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    I can sympathize, but this is an entirely different class of cases. My own feelings are that it has become way too difficult to just fire someone. IMMHO, an employer should be able to fire you for any reason at all. This at least limits the frivolity that has turned much civil litigation into pretzels thse last 30 years. Very expensive cluster****s of liberal foolishness.

    Libs don't like it? Tough ****. Become an employer, and then keep lard-ass employees on your payroll forever so that you can feel good about it.
    So you think it is perfectly ok for an employer to be able to ruin a families life because he didn't like the color of a guys shoes?

  8. #18
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Walker signs bill barring workers from collecting damages for employment discrimi

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonI View Post
    So you think it is perfectly ok for an employer to be able to ruin a families life because he didn't like the color of a guys shoes?
    Ruin a family's life? That's a little over the top. The guy needs to find a better job with an employer who's not a dick in this case... the guy getting fired is the best thing that could happen.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Where pissing off the has beens here is fun...
    Last Seen
    04-07-13 @ 09:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,156

    Re: Walker signs bill barring workers from collecting damages for employment discrimi

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Ruin a family's life? That's a little over the top. The guy needs to find a better job with an employer who's not a dick in this case... the guy getting fired is the best thing that could happen.
    Really? A middle class man with a wife and two kids, only income in the house, loses his job in a weak job market...doesn't seem too over the top in today's world...

  10. #20
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Walker signs bill barring workers from collecting damages for employment discrimi

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonI View Post
    Really? A middle class man with a wife and two kids, only income in the house, loses his job in a weak job market...doesn't seem too over the top in today's world...
    Really... If every middle class man with a wife and two kids who lost their jobs had their life ruined, bodies would be piled up on the streets from coast to coast. Like I said, in your scenario, getting fired is the best thing that could happen to that guy. And guess what - the guy gets another job, maybe not his optimal college educated primary job, but something that pays the bills. And the wife too. Kids go to mom and dads, or a friends, or a neighbors, or they have to go to day care (worse case)... but they make due.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •