Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 73

Thread: White House releases USD 1.5 bln aid to Egypt, meets Brotherhood figures

  1. #21
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Obama Releases $1.5 Billion to Muslim Brotherhood of Egypt

    From the article:
    The United States gives Egypt USD 1.5 billion in military aid annually that must be spent on U.S. made weapons and goods, including M1A1 tanks and F-16 fighter jets.
    Okay, can somebody explain this to me?? We're giving them money to buy stuff from us. Wouldn't that be like Snapple giving me $5 to go buy a Snapple? Wouldn't it just be easy for Snapple to hand me a drink off the assembly line instead of handing me the money, which I then hand back to another party in exchange for the item I'm being mandated to buy? Would it not be more efficient for the government to pay their defense contractor directly and have the items themselves sent over to Egypt, if we're going to be mandating the specific items they're allowed to purchase with the money?
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  2. #22
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Obama Releases $1.5 Billion to Muslim Brotherhood of Egypt

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    I would go further and say we have to cut subsidies as well. If you are debt, and having trouble paying your bills, you dont donate 20 bucks to the little league team down the street. Sorry.
    I agree,we should cut subsidies all foreign aid,grants and many other things.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #23
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Releases $1.5 Billion to Muslim Brotherhood of Egypt

    We could have, imo, cut out the middle man and just sent 750 mil to Hamas instead. Egypt has what we think is a democracy... or what may look like a democracy. The MB has known ties to terrorist organizations and if the MB is elected as the legitimate organization running said democracy, I don't see why we are sending over borrowed billions... what are we getting for our money? I have no issue with them speaking to mid-level officials at the WH... the money? No way... not now anyway.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,360

    Re: Obama Releases $1.5 Billion to Muslim Brotherhood of Egypt

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    We could have, imo, cut out the middle man and just sent 750 mil to Hamas instead. Egypt has what we think is a democracy... or what may look like a democracy. The MB has known ties to terrorist organizations and if the MB is elected as the legitimate organization running said democracy, I don't see why we are sending over borrowed billions... what are we getting for our money? I have no issue with them speaking to mid-level officials at the WH... the money? No way... not now anyway.
    As I heard on CNN last night, the "mid level officials" include the #2 person from the State Department, not exactly mid level, just more white house spin.

  5. #25
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Obama Releases $1.5 Billion to Muslim Brotherhood of Egypt

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    From the article:


    Okay, can somebody explain this to me?? We're giving them money to buy stuff from us. Wouldn't that be like Snapple giving me $5 to go buy a Snapple? Wouldn't it just be easy for Snapple to hand me a drink off the assembly line instead of handing me the money, which I then hand back to another party in exchange for the item I'm being mandated to buy? Would it not be more efficient for the government to pay their defense contractor directly and have the items themselves sent over to Egypt, if we're going to be mandating the specific items they're allowed to purchase with the money?
    Then how would the politicians get their cuts? They can't get their piece of the pie if we just hand them weapons...unless of course, they are taking a Hummer for their own personal use.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,878

    Re: Obama Releases $1.5 Billion to Muslim Brotherhood of Egypt

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    From the article:


    Okay, can somebody explain this to me?? We're giving them money to buy stuff from us. Wouldn't that be like Snapple giving me $5 to go buy a Snapple? Wouldn't it just be easy for Snapple to hand me a drink off the assembly line instead of handing me the money, which I then hand back to another party in exchange for the item I'm being mandated to buy? Would it not be more efficient for the government to pay their defense contractor directly and have the items themselves sent over to Egypt, if we're going to be mandating the specific items they're allowed to purchase with the money?
    Because your Snapple method doesn't allow corrupt people in the Brotherhood to line their pockets.
    TANSTAAFL

    An armed society is a polite society.
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  7. #27
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    07-21-12 @ 07:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    109

    Re: Obama Releases $1.5 Billion to Muslim Brotherhood of Egypt

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    We could have, imo, cut out the middle man and just sent 750 mil to Hamas instead. Egypt has what we think is a democracy... or what may look like a democracy. The MB has known ties to terrorist organizations and if the MB is elected as the legitimate organization running said democracy, I don't see why we are sending over borrowed billions... what are we getting for our money? I have no issue with them speaking to mid-level officials at the WH... the money? No way... not now anyway.
    It's not if the MB is elected, the MB Qutbists and the Salafists have already been elected putting them in the overwhelming majority within the Egyptian government, this would be like Jimmy Carter not only losing Iran but funding the Ayatollah to boot.

  8. #28
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    07-21-12 @ 07:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    109

    Re: Obama Releases $1.5 Billion to Muslim Brotherhood of Egypt

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    From the article:


    Okay, can somebody explain this to me?? We're giving them money to buy stuff from us. Wouldn't that be like Snapple giving me $5 to go buy a Snapple? Wouldn't it just be easy for Snapple to hand me a drink off the assembly line instead of handing me the money, which I then hand back to another party in exchange for the item I'm being mandated to buy? Would it not be more efficient for the government to pay their defense contractor directly and have the items themselves sent over to Egypt, if we're going to be mandating the specific items they're allowed to purchase with the money?
    I'm guessing it's because we leave it to their defense planners to determine what purchases to make and perhaps they likewise don't spend all of the Military Aid funds that same year.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,076

    Re: Obama Releases $1.5 Billion to Muslim Brotherhood of Egypt

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormageddon View Post
    Excuse me but I'm not your son, that's number one, and number two he invited the MB to his Cairo speech, his administration just got out of a meeting with the MB right before they just gave the MB $1.5 Billion dollars, that's billion with a B, of U.S. taxpayer dollars. Now if that is not overt support for a declared enemy of the United States then I don't know what is.
    I hope you got a source for all of this? Or are you making it up like you did the original thread title?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #30
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,076

    Re: Obama Releases $1.5 Billion to Muslim Brotherhood of Egypt

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I agree,we should cut subsidies all foreign aid,grants and many other things.
    It's a good thing we don't live in a vacuum otherwise this might be logical.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •