Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Obama signs insider trading ban by lawmakers(edited)

  1. #1
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,078

    Obama signs insider trading ban by lawmakers(edited)

    I was totally caught by surprise by this. Last I heard about this was that Eric Cantor had put a complete stop to it saying that the bill was, "Moving too fast" through congress. I had no idea that it had even been voted on. Kudos for this getting passed.


    Obama signs insider trading ban by lawmakers

    President Barack Obama signed legislation Wednesday barring members of Congress, the president and thousands of federal workers from profiting from nonpublic information learned on the job, calling it an embodiment of the fundamental American value of fair play.
    Obama said the move to bar insider trading among lawmakers would assure everyone "plays by the same rules."

    "It's the notion that the powerful shouldn't get to create one set of rules for themselves and another set of rules for everybody else," Obama said.

    "If we expect that to apply to our biggest corporations and our most successful citizens, it certainly should apply to our elected officials," Obama said.

    The new law lets the public see more of government officials' financial dealings yet some members of Congress said it fell short. Lawmakers abandoned an earlier proposal to require public reports from people who gather information from Congress and sell it, mostly to investors.
    Last edited by Redress; 04-04-12 at 02:09 PM. Reason: To Comply with BN guidelines-Title changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: No more insider trading you elected pukes!

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    I was totally caught by surprise by this. Last I heard about this was that Eric Cantor had put a complete stop to it saying that the bill was, "Moving too fast" through congress. I had no idea that it had even been voted on. Kudos for this getting passed.


    Obama signs insider trading ban by lawmakers

    President Barack Obama signed legislation Wednesday barring members of Congress, the president and thousands of federal workers from profiting from nonpublic information learned on the job, calling it an embodiment of the fundamental American value of fair play.
    Obama said the move to bar insider trading among lawmakers would assure everyone "plays by the same rules."

    "It's the notion that the powerful shouldn't get to create one set of rules for themselves and another set of rules for everybody else," Obama said.

    "If we expect that to apply to our biggest corporations and our most successful citizens, it certainly should apply to our elected officials," Obama said.

    The new law lets the public see more of government officials' financial dealings yet some members of Congress said it fell short. Lawmakers abandoned an earlier proposal to require public reports from people who gather information from Congress and sell it, mostly to investors.
    Glad this came to pass. Great move by Obama.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  3. #3
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,458
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: No more insider trading you elected pukes!

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    I was totally caught by surprise by this. Last I heard about this was that Eric Cantor had put a complete stop to it saying that the bill was, "Moving too fast" through congress. I had no idea that it had even been voted on. Kudos for this getting passed.


    Obama signs insider trading ban by lawmakers

    President Barack Obama signed legislation Wednesday barring members of Congress, the president and thousands of federal workers from profiting from nonpublic information learned on the job, calling it an embodiment of the fundamental American value of fair play.
    Obama said the move to bar insider trading among lawmakers would assure everyone "plays by the same rules."

    "It's the notion that the powerful shouldn't get to create one set of rules for themselves and another set of rules for everybody else," Obama said.

    "If we expect that to apply to our biggest corporations and our most successful citizens, it certainly should apply to our elected officials," Obama said.

    The new law lets the public see more of government officials' financial dealings yet some members of Congress said it fell short. Lawmakers abandoned an earlier proposal to require public reports from people who gather information from Congress and sell it, mostly to investors.
    This is good news, however, I can't help but wonder if there is fine print peppered throughout the legislation to protect those who have profited from inside information.
    “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” Trump said... “‘Is everyone OK’? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.”

  4. #4
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: No more insider trading you elected pukes!

    Yeah, like that's gonna stop them.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #5
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,137
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: No more insider trading you elected pukes!

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    Glad this came to pass. Great move by Obama.
    You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who will critisize the president for signing this one...

    Good Job President Obama,

  6. #6
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: No more insider trading you elected pukes!

    I am with you Rob, last time I remember hearing about it, it was stopped. Glad to see it was passed.
    Boston: City of Champions. New England Patriots: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, and 2016 Boston Red Sox: 2004, 2007 and 2013 Boston Celtics: 2008 Boston Bruins: 2011 Boston University Men's Hockey: 2008



  7. #7
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: No more insider trading you elected pukes!

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who will critisize the president for signing this one...

    Good Job President Obama,
    I will say this. I wish another part had been included. Would have been nice to have what I bolded, but something is better than nothing.

    The new law lets the public see more of government officials' financial dealings yet some members of Congress said it fell short. Lawmakers abandoned an earlier proposal to require public reports from people who gather information from Congress and sell it, mostly to investors.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  8. #8
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Obama signs insider trading ban by lawmakers(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    This information is pretty much going to belie Zimmerman being a racist, in my opinion:



    That Zimmerman actually did that will be easily proved. And note: the white man who beat the black homeless man was the son of a Sanford LEO.
    Maggie, darling, wrong thread
    Boston: City of Champions. New England Patriots: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, and 2016 Boston Red Sox: 2004, 2007 and 2013 Boston Celtics: 2008 Boston Bruins: 2011 Boston University Men's Hockey: 2008



  9. #9
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,078

    Obama signs insider trading ban by lawmakers

    It's saying that my original thread on this was closed due to me not following the rules and whatnot. To try and refrain from getting more detrimental "points" tacked onto my DP account I started this thread with the title I'm told I have to go by instead of being myself. My bad.


    Obama signs insider trading ban by lawmakers

    President Barack Obama signed legislation Wednesday barring members of Congress, the president and thousands of federal workers from profiting from nonpublic information learned on the job, calling it an embodiment of the fundamental American value of fair play.

    Obama said the move to bar insider trading among lawmakers would assure everyone "plays by the same rules."

    "It's the notion that the powerful shouldn't get to create one set of rules for themselves and another set of rules for everybody else," Obama said.
    "If we expect that to apply to our biggest corporations and our most successful citizens, it certainly should apply to our elected officials," Obama said.

    The new law lets the public see more of government officials' financial dealings yet some members of Congress said it fell short. Lawmakers abandoned an earlier proposal to require public reports from people who gather information from Congress and sell it, mostly to investors.


    Like I said in my last post on this, I am shocked that it was signed by Obama because the last I heard was that this bill was blocked by Eric Cantor because he said it was "moving too fast" through congress. Didn't even know congress had passed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: No more insider trading you elected pukes!

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    I am with you Rob, last time I remember hearing about it, it was stopped. Glad to see it was passed.


    There's a difference between passing a law and upholding that law. I do not suspect that latter to be held to politicians. But hey, maybe they'll surprise me.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •