Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 540

Thread: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Court?

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,598
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Are you not following the thread? It is right wing rhetoric to accuse the Supreme Court of activism whenever it does something that right wingers don't like.
    Unless someone other than the right engages in it.

    Saying that unelected judges are substituting their judgment for that of our elected representatives, i.e. "legislating from the bench" is torn straight from the right wing lexicon. Doesn't it sound stupid coming back at you?
    Coming BACK at me? I never made such an argument. Sure, the rightwing has many examples of stupidity re: SCOTUS decisions, but you're diverting, as many Obama apologists have been doing around here in response to these comments.

  2. #42
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Unless someone other than the right engages in it.



    Coming BACK at me? I never made such an argument. Sure, the rightwing has many examples of stupidity re: SCOTUS decisions, but you're diverting, as many Obama apologists have been doing around here in response to these comments.
    Diverting from what? That Obama made a poorly worded statement? I just acknowledged that. Anything else?
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  3. #43
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    94,653
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Unless someone other than the right engages in it.



    Coming BACK at me? I never made such an argument. Sure, the rightwing has many examples of stupidity re: SCOTUS decisions, but you're diverting, as many Obama apologists have been doing around here in response to these comments.
    This is what I see Obama doing. It's not "trying to influence to judges", that is just stupid. He is making fun of certain right wing people who make identical arguments about topics such as SSM(see the ruling on prop 8 and the Mass rulings on DOMA, the comments are almost identical to Obama's) and trying to set up a hypocrisy claim by seeing who would make those comments about rulings and then complain about his comments.

    Personally I would prefer Obama to not say **** like this. Just because I can see what he is saying does not mean I think it is a good idea. We have to assume that SCOTUS judges are going to rule based on law. Since there is no realistic way to get one out once appointed, we can either trust and accept, or be pissed off all the time. I do not always like how SCOTUS rules, but we appoint experts to SCOTUS for a reason, and I have to accept their rulings.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    I’ve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  4. #44
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:29 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,442

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Actually it would require a certain set of blinders to actually believe that he was trying to do something he has no power to do in a way that would not work.
    He has believed he could do quite a number of things in ways which would not work. Rio will enjoy its Olympics, for example.

    What he said was little other than "come on, you don't want to be thos guys, do you?" And he did it with falsehoods.
    It's not "tolerance" if you already approve of what you purport to "tolerate."

  5. #45
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:29 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,442

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    He is making fun of certain right wing people who make identical arguments about topics such as SSM(see the ruling on prop 8 and the Mass rulings on DOMA, the comments are almost identical to Obama's) and trying to set up a hypocrisy claim by seeing who would make those comments about rulings and then complain about his comments.
    Wait, you're countering the idea that he was trying to influence the decision with a suggestion that he was being facetious and insincere?
    It's not "tolerance" if you already approve of what you purport to "tolerate."

  6. #46
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    05-21-18 @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,773

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by patrickbwayne View Post
    Today it is the GOP decrying "influencing" judicial rulings of the Supreme Court because it is a law they want struck down, when they have been doing the same thing on the legality of abortion for decades. Both sides do it, and which ever way the Supreme Court rules, the opposing side will accuse the court of "judicial activism". Such is politics... get over it, because you can't have it both ways.
    Striking down a law as unconstitutional isn't judicial activism if the law really is unconstitutional.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by patrickbwayne View Post
    Today it is the GOP decrying "influencing" judicial rulings of the Supreme Court because it is a law they want struck down, when they have been doing the same thing on the legality of abortion for decades. Both sides do it, and which ever way the Supreme Court rules, the opposing side will accuse the court of "judicial activism". Such is politics... get over it, because you can't have it both ways.
    Yet again we have the usual and tiresome "they all do it" argument.

    If that's your stock answer, as it is with so many leftists, why bother with debate?

    There is no issue where this doesn't apply and it adds nothing to the conversation.

  8. #48
    Sage
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    I love your hate.
    Last Seen
    05-21-18 @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    79,753
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    This is what I see Obama doing. It's not "trying to influence to judges", that is just stupid. He is making fun of certain right wing people who make identical arguments about topics such as SSM(see the ruling on prop 8 and the Mass rulings on DOMA, the comments are almost identical to Obama's) and trying to set up a hypocrisy claim by seeing who would make those comments about rulings and then complain about his comments.

    Personally I would prefer Obama to not say **** like this. Just because I can see what he is saying does not mean I think it is a good idea. We have to assume that SCOTUS judges are going to rule based on law. Since there is no realistic way to get one out once appointed, we can either trust and accept, or be pissed off all the time. I do not always like how SCOTUS rules, but we appoint experts to SCOTUS for a reason, and I have to accept their rulings.


    You think he was making fun? Sounded pretty serious about it to me.
    You should try to remember, ideas are conveyed by researching information, vetting sources, and confirming said information. Not by regurgitating talking points given to you by your "news" station.
    Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, but hate me all the more.

  9. #49
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    94,653
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    You think he was making fun? Sounded pretty serious about it to me.
    It is a hypothesis and not the only thing I think he is doing(Note the word "and", it is important). Since neither you nor I are in his head, neither of us knows for sure.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    I’ve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  10. #50
    Sage
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    I love your hate.
    Last Seen
    05-21-18 @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    79,753
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    It is a hypothesis and not the only thing I think he is doing(Note the word "and", it is important). Since neither you nor I are in his head, neither of us knows for sure.


    Indeed, however I find your speculation without merit, and I on the otherhand will take our president at his word, instead of finding excuses for these recent curious statements of his.
    You should try to remember, ideas are conveyed by researching information, vetting sources, and confirming said information. Not by regurgitating talking points given to you by your "news" station.
    Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, but hate me all the more.

Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •